Please PLEASE PLEASE fix the 1000+ cycle lag

I fear it is easier said than done...

Every now and then devs update ONIs performance, so you can expect improvement over time, but removing high-cycle lags completly is much more difficult than writing the code:

if(lagging) {stopLagging();}

6 hours ago, pether said:

Every now and then devs update ONIs performance, so you can expect improvement over time, but removing high-cycle lags completly is much more difficult than writing the code:

It is not easy, never the less - it is a problem, or do you not think it is a problem?

I see there is a problem, yes. I experienced it and didn't like it at all.

And I'm sure KLEI is aware of it - they update performance whenever they can. However, it is not something that is as easy to remove as simple bugs, so I'm not sure what do you expect...

5 hours ago, pether said:

I see there is a problem, yes. I experienced it and didn't like it at all.

And I'm sure KLEI is aware of it - they update performance whenever they can. However, it is not something that is as easy to remove as simple bugs, so I'm not sure what do you expect...

I expect nothing. But without voicing out concerns and talking about a thing, there is no way to know how much of a problem it is.

This is why every time a thread of this sort opens up I always give a like and leave a comment because I do think it deserves attention.

And you dont think, the devs already know its a huge problem, and they wont get bored with the 10000th thread about this, repeating everything all over and over? They cant do magic. They do what they can. Complaining every next day wont change anything. It will not make them work faster, it will not make them forget. 

2 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

And you dont think, the devs already know its a huge problem, and they wont get bored with the 10000th thread about this, repeating everything all over and over? They cant do magic. They do what they can. Complaining every next day wont change anything. It will not make them work faster, it will not make them forget. 

I think they know its a problem. I dont think they will get bored. (either way we dont have to entertain them).

Im stating its a problem. Not blaming the devs. Not saying anything bad. You dont need to get defensive. just saying its a problem. Its not such hard of a concept to grasp.

Is the lag purely caused by time? I.E. can you build up a map to cycle 500, leave it completely alone, and have it start lagging in cycle 1000? Or is the lag caused because the player is slowly but constantly building new things and filling up the map?

The former is a clear bug, but the latter is simply building so far that the game can't take it any more.

8 minutes ago, bobucles said:

Or is the lag caused because the player is slowly but constantly building new things and filling up the map?

It`s the player 100%. There might be some memory leaks but most of the lag comes from all the moving systems. Dupe navigation causes exponentially more lag as you build more paths and add more items that can be interacted with. More open spaces add to the gas calculation, pipes eat a lot of pc power as they get longer and more branched. All the pipe heat exchange, critter pathing, power consumption etc.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:16 AM, Sasza22 said:

It`s the player 100%. There might be some memory leaks but most of the lag comes from all the moving systems. Dupe navigation causes exponentially more lag as you build more paths and add more items that can be interacted with. More open spaces add to the gas calculation, pipes eat a lot of pc power as they get longer and more branched. All the pipe heat exchange, critter pathing, power consumption etc.

Which isn't to mention all the debris that many players leave lying around, which then have their own calculations regarding heat exchange that need to be made(and evaluation by the Dupe pathing/tasking AI to see if they want to pick up the debris or pull from storage). OP might want to try doing a cleanup pass on debris around the map. It helps a lot in my experience, and evidently in the experience of several streamers as well. Storage Bins are one of our most powerful tools for improving frame rates and reducing lag.

Heck, it doesn't need to be a storage bin, it can be an Automatic Dispenser for that matter, just consolidating everything into large lumps of 20 tons of debris in a few concentrated locations still results in a reduction of calculations that need to be made.

1 hour ago, TheDeamon said:

Storage Bins are one of our most powerful tools for improving frame rates and reducing lag.

Yes they are a good start and differences are noticeable.

I store most of my stuff in such "rooms", where dupes could not go in
The rails could be shorter, but it works well.
I hope Klei does fix that stuff on rails, is in foreground always.
The conveyor receptacle has highest prio (no loop). Sweeper could not reach pile (in this case not needed)
lay.thumb.PNG.9cce5f5256aa3a5b62763fb965e4188d.PNG

I do no longer big warehouses with many slots, because small sectors are easy to change / fix.

On 3/1/2020 at 7:19 AM, pether said:

Could make that even faster if you remove the conditional.

Lag -= Lag;

You shouldn't blame players 100 percent.     It's  a design issue.   If you design a game where even new players or majority of rookie players or casual players play   and the game lags         you shouldn't expect them to solve their own lag problem with debris cleaning or pathing.     If they meet the computer requirements  and the game lags  that's poor optimization or design choices.    Just saying from a consumer point of view. 

Not going to fully disagree, it is a design decision that is causing the issue, but players DO have a pathway for mitigating the issue.

The problem is the particular design decision in play is a rather significant aspect of the game: Thermal transfer between objects.

Which is the underlying and unavoidable cause of the lag, as the number of objects increase, the number of calculations the game needs to make increases. Which is in turn why debris cleanup helps address the issue, as it reduces the number of objects that the game needs to track.

Archived