Giants atack pattern

Giants have lots of health and huge damage, some of them can kill you with just 1 hit if there is no armor to protect you but when you have killed thousands of deerclops, treeguards, beargers m/goose, etc their damage is not a factor to take in count since they always atack the same, same patter, same times. To fix this for veteran players i was thinking about this:

I dont know if all of you have experience m/goose doing random movements and atacks, this happens when she is far for his nest and makes the fight a lot more interesting so... what about changing the atack patter for weak bosses to random. Maybe this could be include in world generator or when a world stays more than X days.

Giants will have same stats so there is no rework needed and will make then so much difficult. For example bearger: 3 atacks-kite-3 atacks-kite-2 atacks-kite-1 atack kite=0 damage taken but if bearger do his slam atack when he wants or instead of 1 slash every 3 atacks imagine making 2 in a row.

Do you have other ideas? we need something to make giants less tedious without making it impossible to new people (also its more interesting having lategame changes than just complicate it since begining)

I don't think that "m/goose doing random movements and attacks" is an intended game mechanic and more of a lag issue - sometimes it jumps close to me, I'm attacking it but no hit lands - is like I just hit air; then she smacks me.

If your proposal would be implemented with totally random attacks only one strategy/meta would emerge: tank it all. You see that happening with most Wig/Wolf players just tanking Deerclops and even Klaus. Look what happens with dragon when a group of players fight it - they all tank and keep F-spamming it. If 4-and-above players are present (or a Wolf/Wig and 2 others),  she will not even enrage. Also another problem with DF-types of attack, aka tight-timing ones, is moderate/high ping and/or rubberbanding. For example I constantly rubberband (on top of lagging) and effectively can't kite DF even on dedicated servers in my country (yeah, I know, the classic "get another ISP you scrub"; still where I live is a general problem with global cabling infrastructure in the area).

I would like to propose a compromise to both viewpoints.

What if the attacks are set to a random interval each time a boss spawns, but kept that way through the fight? That way you do get a feel of randomness every time you play, but you still can observe the attack pattern and adjust your kiting so that tanking doesn’t become the most efficient way to kill x boss. In addition, simply more attacks that a boss can do would help spice things up. Deerclop’s laser was only one and spiced up his fight.

In short, the number different attacks that a boss can do and on what interval is determined at random when it spawns, but kept constant during the fight to stimulate experimentation rather than tanking.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I don't think that "m/goose doing random movements and attacks" is an intended game mechanic and more of a lag issue - sometimes it jumps close to me, I'm attacking it but no hit lands - is like I just hit air; then she smacks me.

It's not a lag issue, since this occurs even on offline worlds. M/Goose is designed to stay around her nest once the egg has hatched, and if you lure her a bit further than the range allows - she won't pursue you and will instead wait for you in the nest's range, thus making kiting impossible. So if you don't want to experience any issues with the m/goose unpredictable patterns - you'll have to fight her in close vicinity to the nest.

6 minutes ago, Charesque said:

It's not a lag issue, since this occurs even on offline worlds. M/Goose is designed to stay around her nest once the egg has hatched, and if you lure her a bit further than the range allows - she won't pursue you and will instead wait for you in the nest's range, thus making kiting impossible. So if you don't want to experience any issues with the m/goose unpredictable patterns - you'll have to fight her in close vicinity to the nest.

That would be indeed valid... if I wasn't 2-3 tiles from her nest. Sadly the "hitting ghosts" (character does the hit animation but enemy takes no damage) pattern happens to me, albeit rarely, with other mobs too like spider queens, ents etc. When I disable Lag Compensation is even more horrid - I press keys and character does action after 0.5-1s (confusing me further as I have 3 faulty keys on my keyboard atm.. yeah, problems problems :)).

2 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

try to desactivate the lag prediction to prevent no landing atacks

and i didnt realise that people will tank it... more difficult with wilson kind of character but boring :/

5 hours ago, thetricker1 said:

try to desactivate the lag prediction to prevent no landing atacks

and i didnt realise that people will tank it... more difficult with wilson kind of character but boring :/

I've touched upon in my second comment, why I don't set Lag Prediction: off - for me is more problematic playing with the delay you get between pressing any action-key and time said action actually takes place when ping is moderate-or-high. On top of it is also the rubberbanding I constantly have from my faulty cabling, thus adding to a type of unpredictability in mentioned delays that make efficient kiting hard-ish, more so the tight-timing one being rendered practically impossible (aka kiting DF on pubs). What I'm pressing wiht all this is the fact people in my situation aren't rare, and making the game regarding mobs and bosses totally pattern-less will basically mean we have 1 option: tank it all.

Also yes, play public servers, Klei officials and/or dedicated/community-hosted, and you'll see how people usually fight DF and the like - and in a lot of cases is not only convenience (what you frame as "boring"), but actually only option available to them in relation to ping.

As for most player-hosted servers.. they don't do bosses, the vast majority of player-base.

32 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

[SNIPPIDY SNIPPER]

Ahhhh yes.......

Lag delay..... 

Such fine right? You clobber that dreaded coward of a nightmare creature 27 times right in the teeth and he just shreds it off like it was nothing....

What a heathen....

Archived