Sweepy Feedback

Sweepy is a cute little thing, but I feel he isn't really useful as of testing build AP-395444-D. 

The use I can see in sweepy is it's namesake. What i've been trying to get it to be useful for is picking stuff up in an automated way. However the vast majority of applications I can think of for sweepy to do this in, an autosweeper can do better. 

With the new update disallowing sweepy to be disconnected from his port, there is literally no way to have sweepy function in another room that isn't his home base. This limits sweepy's function even more, as theoretically you could've had him sweep up something like eggs (though sweepy cannot pick up them) and then be returned to home base, effectively allowing sweepy to clean up ranches without needing the mechatronics skill.

Sweepy also cannot wash his hands, so any germs he gets will get on anything he touches.

Sweepy cannot pick up food either, so he cannot be used in farms.

Sweepy cannot be configured to only pick up certain things.

I reiterate, Sweepy is cute, but he is not useful for basically any task that isn't literally just sweeping the floor, but a sweeper could do that better. The jobs that sweepy could have possibly done to help the player get to them quicker without mechatronics skill (sweeping eggs out of a room, sweeping food out of a farm) are things that sweepy is locked off from doing. I wholeheartedly suggest that sweepy get his capabilities increased, [able to pick up and store food and eggs], and that he gains weight so he can trigger pressure plates.

OxygenNotIncluded_dA54mQN1I3.png.be879c081f87b024c2f196b86f438718.png

18 hours ago, Lbphero said:

Sweepy is cute, but he is not useful for basically any task that isn't literally just sweeping the floor, but a sweeper could do that better.

Sweepy is this "build and forget" thing that doesn`t require too much tought. It`s not meant for optimised designs but for casual players to keep their floor clean with little effort.

Sweepy could be used to work in pepper farm and it is quite useful... because I don't have to build tons of auto sweeper...

Personally, I don't even bother to have those better functions since I don't need it because if you want advanced sweeping power, just skip this robot and go to the auto sweeper.

15 hours ago, Lbphero said:

sweepy can't reach upwards or jump, so i'd say still much less practical than an auto sweeper

Auto sweepers are industrial machines to move large amounts of stuff. Sweepy is meant to keep your floors clean and get rid of random stuff dupes drop there during breaktime. They just aren`t meant to do the same.

I think a 'Sweepy friendly" design would be putting one on each floor, leaving doors between rooms open. They`d cover a large area but take little room unlike auto sweepers that would need to be in each room. They would sweep the living area and get rid of those annoying debris that pile up over time and noone bothers to pick them up.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Auto sweepers are industrial machines to move large amounts of stuff. Sweepy is meant to keep your floors clean and get rid of random stuff dupes drop there during breaktime. They just aren`t meant to do the same.

I think a 'Sweepy friendly" design would be putting one on each floor, leaving doors between rooms open. They`d cover a large area but take little room unlike auto sweepers that would need to be in each room. They would sweep the living area and get rid of those annoying debris that pile up over time and noone bothers to pick them up.

auto sweepers have a 10x10 (or was it 9x9?) range around them in which they can pick up like a literal ton of stuff with each swing. sweepy has a 32x1 tile range in which he picks up 10 kg each tile and can only put the stuff in his dustbin, and from there you need an autosweeper or duplicant to put it somewhere else. sweepy probably takes more power too when he takes 240watts sleeping/charging for something like 3 blocks of the day. The only thing I could think of that sweepy could do better than autosweepers in his current state is sweep up food from the mess hall when dupes leave it on the ground, but wait, sweepy can't pick up food, so sweepers are still better. sweepy also cannot be disinfected by duplicants, so if he picks something germy, it gets on everything else he picks up as well. 

I don't know what to tell you, sweepy really needs to be buffed to have literally any use that isn't just "put on floor watch him pick stuff up for a few cycles LOL" but a duplicant/autosweeper could do that better.

5 hours ago, Lbphero said:

"put on floor watch him pick stuff up for a few cycles LOL" but a duplicant/autosweeper could do that better.

As i metioned he`s not for sweeping large amounts of stuff. He`s for cleaning those annoying debris dupes keep leavin everywhere. Of course you can fill the floor with autosweepers for that but it`s like 2-3 pieces of rock per cycle. You could make dupes clean it but the Sweepy does that automatically.

Also i think it`s range is 64 tiles (turns around when 32 tiles from the station), You need 6-7 auto sweepers to cover the area, which is better when you want to clean it fast but not worth it if you want it to remain clean. The Sweepy is not for industrial purposes. It`s for all those of us that get annoyed by he random pieces of rock lying around and hate to queue sweep commands for dupes to clean it.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

As i metioned he`s not for sweeping large amounts of stuff. He`s for cleaning those annoying debris dupes keep leavin everywhere. Of course you can fill the floor with autosweepers for that but it`s like 2-3 pieces of rock per cycle. You could make dupes clean it but the Sweepy does that automatically.

Also i think it`s range is 64 tiles (turns around when 32 tiles from the station), You need 6-7 auto sweepers to cover the area, which is better when you want to clean it fast but not worth it if you want it to remain clean. The Sweepy is not for industrial purposes. It`s for all those of us that get annoyed by he random pieces of rock lying around and hate to queue sweep commands for dupes to clean it.

have your dupes gained sentience and drop rocks everywhere or something

4 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

OxygenNotIncluded_0bZrihuf7y.thumb.png.36cf87c6ff8153e171e039e9f1260643.png

i tried to set up a sweepy to even pick up the coal from the hatches but my dupes are doing that faster than the sweepy can by just picking it up off the floor 

19 hours ago, Lbphero said:

have your dupes gained sentience and drop rocks everywhere or something

Thsy just do this randomly when they ahppen to carry something when it`s breaktime. They never pick it up as there are more important jobs to do.

16 hours ago, Lbphero said:

i tried to set up a sweepy to even pick up the coal from the hatches but my dupes are doing that faster than the sweepy can by just picking it up off the floor 

I`ll say it one final time. The sweepy isn`t meant to be effective. It`s meant to clean up the floors your dupes don`t have time to clean. If your dupes have enough time to sweep the hatch ranch there`s no reason to have a sweepy there.

3 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I`ll say it one final time. The sweepy isn`t meant to be effective. It`s meant to clean up the floors your dupes don`t have time to clean. If your dupes have enough time to sweep the hatch ranch there`s no reason to have a sweepy there.

3 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Thsy just do this randomly when they ahppen to carry something when it`s breaktime. They never pick it up as there are more important jobs to do.

these problems are things that are solved so incredibly easily without sweepy that i can't find a use for him in the game, it's not good for a feature to be completely useless in any state of the game. Even if your case was correct here, I wouldn't want sweepy to literally have one singular case in which he was useful and completely useless everywhere else.

if your dupes are legitimately constantly dropping rocks, then i strongly, strongly recommend that you either give your dupes atmosuits so they stop running back to catch their breath and subsequently dropping whatever they're holding, install auto sweepers so the rocks actually get picked up, or just make storage bins and print dupes of which their only purpose is to sweep up rocks automatically.

Sweepy is not good for anything and this case you've been bringing up over and over in where dupes seemingly randomly drop rocks when it comes to break time is something that can be solved more efficiently and easily (since dupes can reach everywhere instead of 1 flat plane) by much more simple and perhaps more helpful overall solutions. OxygenNotIncluded_o7SEqdwuqE.png.b0f5ca53a872cf00abf01a11ff6aedf9.png

you literally can't even have closed doors with sweepy since the second he can't path back to his dustbin he stops functioning. I don't understand why you show so much resistance to something that even if what you said was completely valid,literally has one singular use, being better.

Would be great if a Mech engineer could upgrade Sweepy to carry more stuff, sanitize, carry food, carry eggs, etc. with mods.

Maybe an expansion will add Engineering Labs/Critter Training Grounds, so critters can do cool stuff to boost morale and Sweepy can do useful things to not be useless.

maybe Sweepy as a pet! cleaning duplicant room.. but is necessary a smaller recharger, like a plataform? and then would have a trash can, but duplicants could use more their room at the end game to make this worth

Hello. :) 

I tried to fit Sweepy in my semisolid bases and i must say, he is completely useless. Maybe in straight flat bases without doors and gabs, "maybe" he has a tile to sit. i am not that heavy in automation, so my dupes and auto sweepers do most of the jobs. i have a dump and once in a wile i make a big cleaning. Also prio 9 and and drag all over the base. 

Hello again, sorry for the double post. I have no idea how to edit here. 

image.thumb.png.c7598b2b1b94516238b6668c379657ba.png

also i played a little around with the idea to use it for regolith. Long story short: i deconstruct it again and build sweepers and a bunch of standard bins for my regolith mess. Prio from right to left in ascending(?) order, so i have a nice little daisy chain.

First Problem is: It is damn slow! why does it wander around? there is a big pile of junk and he put 10kg of it in its dust bin and starts to wander again! Why?  

Second Problem is: The animations are cut and all, but it slows again the process of cleaning. you can not use several sweepy for one place to speed up the process. 
Also i have more use for chlorine, then for sweepy and that is sad. 

Archived