Hatch Farms - just add a buffer

5 hours ago, OxCD said:

Mmmh. I don't get it.

6 hours ago, o0paradigm0o said:

Tired of the sweeper picking up all the eggs, dumping them in the loader and then the critter sensor turns off the loader before the eggs get onto the track?

Me too!

Add a buffer - 5s seems to work.

2 - Wkn7E6G.jpg

1 - imC2l93.png

My guess is when an egg is picked up by the autosweeper, it is no longer counted as belonging to the room (ie, the critter count decreases). When the critter count decreases, the loader turns off and the sweeper drops the egg. This we have an endless loop of pick up/drop.

Adding the buffer keeps the   loader active long enough to send the eggs downstream.

I think why he did this was to only sweep up excess eggs keeping the critter+egg count constant. But I do not think this will have desired effect because I believe the the sweeper will simply pick up all the eggs in the room at once. Meaning you will never have eggs present in the stable and the population on the room will eventually go to zero.

Seems much easier to me to just sweep up all the eggs, all the time, ship them off to a hatchery, then have baby hatches returned when needed or automatically killed if not.  

A couple incubators in a room with a little 2 door drowner kills off any babies that don't get carried back to ranches, and excess eggs that don't fit into the incubators can just be cracked for omelets.

Don't need automation in the ranch at all that way.  The only automation I use for my hatch farms is a critter sensor for the mini murder spot, and clocks for the incubators as it's way to inefficient to run them 24/7; much easier to have only one at a time on, and just on long enough to have a rancher get huggy with it.

20 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

A couple incubators in a room with a little 2 door drowner kills off any babies that don't get carried back to ranches, and excess eggs that don't fit into the incubators can just be cracked for omelets.

Or better yet, but the incubator room on top of a stack of ranches, use a dropping chamber to drop all hatches into the stack, open doors when the ranches are full so that excess hatches are dropped straight into the drowning room with absolutely zero dupe interaction. :D

Archived