[Game Update] - 394616

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

Sony, Samsung, LG: Watch everything in 8k! Our smartphones now can even record in 8k!!!!

KLEI: Presenting: Low res textures for your enjoyment!

;)

Well some people are complaining and wondering why their 20 year old potato computer running Windows 98 isn't able to run ONI without the game being a still JPEG.

One would think the simple act of the computer spitting hot acid in their eyes for daring to try to play on something so below the minimum specs it makes the Mariana Trench look shallow would be enough to clue people in to that...but apparently not. :wilson_ecstatic:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I'm confused about how "Low-Texture Mode" would help with "out of memory" errors, as the vast majority of the memory is data that makes up every item that has calculated statistics.  I mean, say you've got a tile that has 50 stacks of debris on it.  Every one of those debris must have its own memory space so that things like temperature can be calculated on them, but only a couple actually get rendered because the rest are all blocked.  Are the textures stored in the item object individually, rather than just linking to the associated texture? 

I can't speak for other's experiences, but my graphics card gets practically no use while running ONI at 1080.  If the "out of memory" errors are happening because of the graphics card not being able to handle the regular textures, then.. um.. does that mean ONI works on old VGA cards?

Edited by KittenIsAGeek

To understand this, you have to know, not all of the "video-work" is doen by the GPU. The GPU is nothing without the pre-calculations of the CPU. 

Low-Res-Textures result in lower CPU-Load, and therefore more availlable power for other tasks. 

Oni runs fine on nearly every GPU, even iGPUs from Intel (and they are not good by any standard) 

52 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

To understand this, you have to know, not all of the "video-work" is doen by the GPU. The GPU is nothing without the pre-calculations of the CPU. 

Low-Res-Textures result in lower CPU-Load, and therefore more availlable power for other tasks. 

Oni runs fine on nearly every GPU, even iGPUs from Intel (and they are not good by any standard) 

I am confused like KittenIsAGeek. I always thought that you load texture in GPU's memory and when you want to draw it, you send draw command with coordinates and ID of that texture. Even if my understanding is completely wrong, I still fail to see how CPU's load is related to out-of-memory crashes.
I would understand if they create textures dynamically. Let's have a single stack of dozens debris, instead of drawing dozens of textures, it is possible to create a new texture for the whole stack, which consists of debris textures drawn on top of each other.

• Like 1