[Poll+Discussion] On Wind and Waves

Sturm und Drang  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Should wind and waves be added to existing DST content?

Hi everyone! I've got an idea, so do hear me out...

In my point of view, part of what makes RoT's ocean rather incomplete is the lack of Strong Winds and Waves to spice up traveling, and how wind and waves interacts with cookie boats and their sails. After all, we technically already have waves ingame via Gnarwail Horn and Malbatross, and apart from the texture being rather strange in my opinion, they seem to work as intended.

However, I also think that these features are pretty dicey to implement, especially with regards to how Sails and Wind interact, and even moresoe with how Strong Winds interact with the mainland. I do suggest strong winds to be present in Spring Storms, intense Winter snowfalls and the Antlion Desert Sandstorm most especially.

What do you guys think? As always, feel free to answer the poll, and discuss in the comments!

There’s only so much a PlayStation, Xbox or Nintendo console will be able to perform before it spontaneously explodes.

(I believe this is the very REASON we don’t have Wagstaff or the Hamlet DLC on Consoles yet)

Those features worked in a Single Player Environment but they may cause more lag then it’s worth in Multiplayer.

The Ocean isn’t always violently throwing waves around anyway, so I kinda like the peaceful flat waters of DST. (May just be personal opinion)

However Malbatross has waves during his fight so they are already technically in the game.

I don't feel too strongly either way with waves, but please no strong winds. Strong winds are one of the most annoying and least fun mechanics from SW imo, due to the way they knock down trees and push items around. Even just the few days of strong wind that happen in mild season will quickly start chopping your decorative trees and pushing all your items right into the water, and I definitely don't want this experience in DST.

Strong winds is a tropical thing, doesn't suit constant continental climate.

Waves are odd for DST boats, in SW waves were used to flesh-out sailing. So you were dodging them or jumping on them to get speed boost. In DST that's impossible, because boat plarform is big and slow.

6 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I don't feel too strongly either way with waves, but please no strong winds. Strong winds are one of the most annoying and least fun mechanics from SW imo, due to the way they knock down trees and push items around. Even just the few days of strong wind that happen in mild season will quickly start chopping your decorative trees and pushing all your items right into the water, and I definitely don't want this experience in DST.

I don’t know Wind may actually be GOOD, But NOT strong winds hard enough to knock trees over, but wind that will blow all the loose crap that’s just lying around into the Ocean, such as Twigs, Loose Logs, Pinecones, Wooden Planks, Rot, All the loose Grass left by Grass Geckos, Etc..

Think Of it as a way for the game to “Clean Up” your world without you actually having to go all over everywhere picking all that stuff up Yourself. (Which I have a Friend Who mains Woodie and because he has an axe that NEVER Breaks he goes around chopping down every tree he see’s and leaves everything just lying around.. Remind me one of these days to Screenshot one of my worlds where I Stumble upon an Area in my World left behind by Woodies Destruction.) You would Want this Too, Trust Me. 

Wind would also Allow you turn your boat sail in the direction it’s Blowing in for a speed boost with Boat Cookies :) 

Maybe we could have storm areas marked on the map (exclusive to the ocean) that you should try to avoid and give them the waves and strong winds. Having myself always lived near the ocean, storms and waves is what really makes the ocean feel like an ocean and not a big lake.

Plus getting distracted with the new fishing mechanics and suddenly finding yourself caught on a storm while your boat is being pushed around in all directions and waves making everything wet while you try to maneuver around seems super cool on paper. Lowering all the sails and throwing the anchors while dodging the waves that go over the boat and rowing to avoid hitting the rock formations. I do see, however how it could also be incredibly frustrating. They would have to move around at a decent pace and not last very long.

On top of this, there's no reason to go on the seas yet, and this would make players even less likely to go. Until Klei adds some sort of meta defining boss or item exclusive to the ocean I see no point in making sailing even more difficult.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t know Wind may actually be GOOD, But NOT strong winds hard enough to knock trees over, but wind that will blow all the loose crap that’s just lying around into the Ocean, such as Twigs, Loose Logs, Pinecones, Wooden Planks, Rot, All the loose Grass left by Grass Geckos, Etc..

Think Of it as a way for the game to “Clean Up” your world without you actually having to go all over everywhere picking all that stuff up Yourself.

Every example you just gave would simply be blown to the water where it floats. It fact it might makes things worse, because all the items would be stacked on top of each other.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

(Which I have a Friend Who mains Woodie and because he has an axe that NEVER Breaks he goes around chopping down every tree he see’s and leaves everything just lying around.. Remind me one of these days to Screenshot one of my worlds where I Stumble upon an Area in my World left behind by Woodies Destruction.) You would Want this Too, Trust me.

The game already regularly does a clean-up for stumps, though, which also removes any stray logs near those stumps.

I wouldn't mind wind/storms exclusive to the ocean (especially if we get more dynamic sails), nor would I mind waves—but they'd have to be reimagined to make functional sense with the current boats we got, and unfortunately I haven't any suggestions for that.

I suppose you could do winds on the mainland (preferable not the first time around), so long as you include ways of countering it. Like a structure or something. That's pretty same-y though.

Ultimately though, as said, adding less reason to go to the already niche ocean puts something like that low on the priority list. Filling up the dang place with content first, then making it more challenging would be the natural development flow.

2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Every example you just gave would simply be blown to the water where it floats. It fact it might makes things worse, because all the items would be stacked on top of each other.

The game already regularly does a clean-up for stumps, though, which also removes any stray logs near those stumps.

I forgot that they changed it so that all that stuff floats now lmao, Sorry my Mistake (thank you for pointing this out!) 

Archived