Should their be a character with a Cannibalism Trait/Benefit?

Cannibalism trait, yea or nah  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Cannibalism trait, yea or nah

In the spirit of survival and doing whatever it takes to not starve in a game called "don't starve", I think there should be.

But it'd have to have that DS twist and charm.

Since there's talk of a new character Moon related, let's have that character be one of "them" who also has acquired a taste for "them". Having eaten one of "them", they have become mutated and disfigured. Shunned and exiled from "them", their hunger for more of "them" should be their main shtick.

As for this character, and what the people of "them" may be, how about "the man in the moon" or "the moon in the man", and while we are at it make "them" made out of cheese, lol. Or just soome moon people or golems or something, they can eat moonstones, make a moon pie.

Moon cycles greatly affect this character, they can find the lunar island easier, they're basically mad with hunger, their hunger is their sanity, they can get so mad with hunger they can eat their hp, maybe they can craft lunar stuff, have a crazy instrument voice, crazy talk, a real lunatic.

Mmm also, maybe they can crave glommer goop lol.

This game is rated 13+ up, it’s not exactly intended for tiny children.

(But for some reason all I ever seem to encounter on it are Tiny children..)

State of Decay 2 deals with Cannibals, the survivors on there will literally sell you meat of other survivors.

but like I said, A lot of people are going to instantly vote No on this suggestion just because it steps on their toes a little too much.

Need I remind everyone that you can eat Rotten Flesh Of Dead Zombies In Minecraft Which is rated E For Everyone? (There’s Literally an Achievement tied to doing it..) And that game IS Intended for Tiny Children.. so uhh yeah. 

Now that I think about, didn't klei, at one point, put the screecher mod right on the starting menu in DS? 

It's probably reaching for me to say that DS isn't the most family friendly game out there and it's target audience are teenagers and older based on the fact that klei keeps dipping their toes in more darker type content; like the screecher and lunar island.

That being said-

Graveyard Keeper, another game on steam, flat out let's you go do cannibalism in the first half hour in the game and it's rated 13+ and no one really has that much of an issue with that. Don't Starve, last I checked, is around that same type of rating. 

So i don't think the ESRB ratings are that much of an issue, I just don't really know if the majority of the fanbase can stomach it.

32 minutes ago, Superlucas1231 said:

Now that I think about, didn't klei, at one point, put the screecher mod right on the starting menu in DS? 

It's probably reaching for me to say that DS isn't the most family friendly game out there and it's target audience are teenagers and older based on the fact that klei keeps dipping their toes in more darker type content; like the screecher and lunar island.

That being said-

Graveyard Keeper, another game on steam, flat out let's you go do cannibalism in the first half hour in the game and it's rated 13+ and no one really has that much of an issue with that. Don't Starve, last I checked, is around that same type of rating. 

So i don't think the ESRB ratings are that much of an issue, I just don't really know if the majority of the fanbase can stomach it.

Maybe they can do it like Gears of War?? That game is known as one of the most violent, graphic games out there with lots of swearing, Blood and gore- But under the options menu there are settings that can be toggled to lower or disable it completely.

There are other games that also have optional Free DLC you can add that makes your game more mature as well (for the sake of the forums I won’t mention the name of the game OR what the DLC does..) but the point is Options like this CAN and DO Exist for the people who want them.

Honestly I don't think the existence of kids in the audience or the rating would be a problem for cannibalism played comedically, as opposed to played for horror. The general concept of cannibals doesn't really scare kids more than the existing monsters do, and the violence in Don't Starve isn't gruesome or even detailed enough to be very directly scary whether it involves eating people or not, you just smack your enemy with your weapon until they fall over and collapse into their constituent parts. The rating is Teen, but I'd say the Teen rating is roughly equivalent to PG for movies in that most of the works that get that rating are okay for 8 to 12 year olds who aren't easily upset by the protagonists getting hurt or threatened; it's just that if a younger or more sensitive kid gets ahold of it despite the rating and has nightmares for weeks then that's more the parents' fault for allowing them to do it because the warnings were clearly marked and, unlike an E for Everyone game or a G-rated movie, it's not expected that everything in it will be totally fine for unattended children of all ages.

If you ask me, debating whether adding cannibalism is okay on the basis of whether or not the game is intended for children or played by children enough to take them into consideration is barking up the wrong tree. I just don't think Klei want to officially include cannibalism between human characters, and I don't think a character based around PVP-focused cannibalism fits in with the mostly cooperative gameplay style of DST (what would this character even do in servers where PVP is turned off, which it is by default?), so I can't see this suggestion going anywhere officially no matter who the DS target audience is.

Archived