Tips on Artificial Natural Farms

Pips don't plant if there is plants to the left or below, you'll need to uproot everything and start over beginning from the top right

Use ladders to block pips from planting anything to the left or below where you want the pips to plant, and deconstruct them as you go

Watch this video, it helped me understand how to use pips to your advantage

Always plant left to right, top to bottom.  The 'box' that the pips check is off centered so left to right, top to bottom gets the highest density.  You need 4 empty tiles between each row of natural tiles.  Use ladders or other things to prevent the pips from planting where you don't want them to.

Natural tiles can be easily made through destructing manual airlocks (no heating up algae or anything silly required).

In many cases its best to let the plants auto-harvest (aka drop) themselves and just use sweepers/loaders to fully automate.

There was a bug with pips refusing to plant after they rummaged through storage containers.  Not sure if its fixed, but I make sure the seeds are on the ground and the storage container empty before dropping pips off.

I find 3-4 pips to be optimal for fastest planting, and can get 3-4 plants planted a cycle reliably.

On 1/22/2020 at 1:38 AM, Crimsontide said:

Always plant left to right, top to bottom. 

And bottom to top for plans that grow downwards.

If pips refuse, there is something that makes them refuse. The two main contenders are too many plants too close and seeds are too far from where needed. Put as many pips as you have in there, that speeds things up. 

Also, it seems you offer them more than one place to plant at a time, that does not work. Cover everything but one possibility with ladders or tiles to enforce that left-to-right  right-to-left direction. 

Archived