My Hissing Spider Plushie Sounds

So I had this thing for a while, so it's not new.

But the sounds are starting to sound a little lowered and more quiet. At times, the sound also will not fully play and will loop about a 1/5 of a second

Is there any way to replace the battery in the circuit that was located in the toy or would it be best to just dispose of the sound buzzer?

• MOTD

Hey there! You can carefully open the sound maker at the seam just below the side with the button. It can take some effort the first time you do it. Once open inside there two LR41 sized battery batteries that you can push out from their harness and replace. 

We're also in the process of restocking the spider plushes and the new ones will have a newly designed sound box in them. They will include a much better door flap system to access the batteries. We're also looking at selling replacements of just the new sound boxes for those who might have trouble with the old cylinder style which can be a bit finicky to open. 

1 hour ago, Corey said:

Hey there! You can carefully open the sound maker at the seam just below the side with the button. It can take some effort the first time you do it. Once open inside there two LR41 sized battery batteries that you can push out from their harness and replace. 

We're also in the process of restocking the spider plushes and the new ones will have a newly designed sound box in them. They will include a much better door flap system to access the batteries. We're also looking at selling replacements of just the new sound boxes for those who might have trouble with the old cylinder style which can be a bit finicky to open. 

That's awesome to hear! I like the spider plushies but I managed to open it without too much trouble. The problem is that I can see that the wires appear to enter the battery itself and the battery is glued down. Is there a way to safely remove the battery without disconnecting the wires permanently?

2 hours ago, Corey said:

We're also in the process of restocking the spider plushes. 

Awesome!! Are there any plans to restock some of the other plushes as well? I didnt happen upon the store until last year, and while I was able to grab my gf a Calico Chester there is still a bunch of stuff I would have liked to pick up but was sold out. 

• MOTD
1 hour ago, Ylettikus said:

That's awesome to hear! I like the spider plushies but I managed to open it without too much trouble. The problem is that I can see that the wires appear to enter the battery itself and the battery is glued down. Is there a way to safely remove the battery without disconnecting the wires permanently?

Yes! They are in a harness which is stuck the board, but the batteries just slide in and out of that harness, do not pull up vertically on them, but rather slide out away from the board.

They are easiest to push out with a pin / pen / small screw driver etc. Here's a photo of the direction you want to push them out. You want to push from the back towards the outside of the board, the gap in the harness in those direction is large enough to easily slide the old ones out, and the new ones back in. 

battery-plush.jpg

43 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Awesome!! Are there any plans to restock some of the other plushes as well? I didnt happen upon the store until last year, and while I was able to grab my gf a Calico Chester there is still a bunch of stuff I would have liked to pick up but was sold out. 

Right now we have Black / White Spiders coming back and Regular Chesters. 

8 minutes ago, Corey said:

Yes! They are in a harness which is stuck the board, but the batteries just slide in and out of that harness, do not pull up vertically on them, but rather slide out away from the board.

They are easiest to push out with a pin / pen / small screw driver etc. Here's a photo of the direction you want to push them out. You want to push from the back towards the outside of the board, the gap in the harness in those direction is large enough to easily slide the old ones out, and the new ones back in. 

battery-plush.jpg

I appreciate your help and I absolutely saw what you meant, however, I believe I may have killed the box when trying to disconnect the battery side from the plastic. My fault of course, but I do notice what you were talking about. I'll try getting new batteries to see if that may have been them just giving their last breath. Thank you for your assistance!

• MOTD
10 minutes ago, Ylettikus said:

I appreciate your help and I absolutely saw what you meant, however, I believe I may have killed the box when trying to disconnect the battery side from the plastic. My fault of course, but I do notice what you were talking about. I'll try getting new batteries to see if that may have been them just giving their last breath. Thank you for your assistance!

Try new batteries, if it doesn't work or it's broken now email us at support@kleientertainment.com in the new year (reference this thread and your forum username and associated email address) and give us your address privately. Once they're in-hand I'll see if I can send you one of the new ones try. You can be my field test case for how the new ones work :)

The old design is very cumbersome and can be delicate which is why we moved to a new style of box. The new ones are similar to the design found in the Mandrake and Crabbit plushes. They have a bigger trigger area and are MUCH easier and obvious on how to safely swap batteries. 

• MOTD
2 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

Hey @Corey! I know I've talked about Funkos before, and it is somewhat unrelated to the topic at hand, but is there any news on a wave 2 of sorts?

Not at this time, they need to approach us. From what we can see, they have been doing well so it's a possibility. But if people would like additional POPs, the best thing people can do is contact Funko directly and express interest in more! They deal with so many different games the more noise the fans make for a specific one, the more likely they can schedule it. 

• MOTD
On 12/16/2019 at 6:07 PM, Canis said:

@Corey, will there be some sort of price drop from 34.99 (if I recall correctly, haven't checked the store in a hot second), or will the price stay the same? I've been looking into getting one as soon as there were more of them.

The base price probably wont' be changing, but we do have occasional sales you can keep an eye on (we'll Tweet / promote them in-game when they happen). 

But for some additional context on our challenges with making merch (as I think your comment is super valid) we do try to keep our prices as low as we can in the shop, and I know they're in the boutique range right now. I'm always trying to lower them as much as I can, but to get items to be of a quality that we are proud of the cost of manufacturing gets pretty pricey for us to do ourselves we've discovered over the years. 

We love making the toys ourselves when we can, we think they have all turned out great. But since we aren't able to order and warehouse hundreds of thousands (or millions) of units at a time like a dedicated toy company / toy line would, we are not playing in the same realm as something you'd find on a shelf of a toy store.

This is also why we've been trying to look for additional 3rd party deals like we did for the Funko POPs to give more variety to prices and location availability of merch.  For example, I get not everyone likes the Funko POP aesthetic - some people love them, but I think their value and variety is undeniable. It would be incredibly difficult for Klei to directly release vinyl figures that large and detailed worldwide at a 9.99 USD price point, so I was really happy we could make that line happen and I'm looking for more opportunities to do stuff like that.

TL;DR - Making toys is super fun but really challenging when it's not your main business and you're not dealing with retail sized order quantities. But we will keep trying to improve and experiment any chance we get. - Hope that is helpful, spiders are def coming back! 

4 hours ago, Corey said:

Not at this time, they need to approach us. From what we can see, they have been doing well so it's a possibility. But if people would like additional POPs, the best thing people can do is contact Funko directly and express interest in more! They deal with so many different games the more noise the fans make for a specific one, the more likely they can schedule it. 

In that case, I will! I just sent in a request for a WX-78 Funko Pop.

5 hours ago, Corey said:

the best thing people can do is contact Funko directly and express interest in more! They deal with so many different games the more noise the fans make for a specific one, the more likely they can schedule it. 

Awesome, thanks for that suggestion. Now where is my phone, gotta call them and request WX-78, Wolfgang, Woodie and Winona POPs.

Archived