Compact, efficient repeatable oxygen generator unit

On 12/14/2019 at 4:00 PM, Craigjw said:

How can you say in one hand that you'll use infinite gas storage, but won't use an infinite gas storage electrolyzer as both these things use the same principle of one gas per tile.

Since you've asked (the room), it's because they are completely different arguments.

Flooding the vent in an infinite storage complex is generally viewed as acceptable because it falls more under the category of getting around a gameplay limitation.  There are only 2 types of vents.  And even if you weren't going to use a not quite flooded Vent for an infinite storage, you can still make one "more legitimately" with a Door Compressor anyway.

A Flooded Electrolyzer, on the other hand, is abusing the mechanics of 1EpT to take very small amounts of liquid, generally only a few grams, to layer on top of one another and tell the game that those particular tiles are full, and put other elements elsewhere.  And you're able to do this without the Electrolyzer itself shutting off because it's flooded with liquid.  Which it wouldn't be, if the liquid were allowed to flow, since it's so small an amount.  Except it can't.  So now a few grams of 2 different liquids, layered on top of one another, are pushing kgs of gases out of the way, with no ramifications.

And for the record, I (and quite a few people) think it's silly that thousands of tons of gas pressure can't break tiles more than 3 thick, or that Doors will never break under pressure no matter what.  Since I know that's going to be the next thing you point at, as it usually goes with, as you put it, "this old argument".

By all means, if you want to use explotiy builds, use them.  But don't act all surprised when people immediately call you out on it.  And cloaking yourself in the statement "it's a single player game I can do whatever" doesn't give you an unassailable bastion against that criticism.  Post an exploity build, take your criticism that you've earned, and move on.

Just to be a pedant, each electrolyzer is flooded with a total of ~110kg of liquids, that's several orders of magnitude greater than a few grams, but this is really besides the point.

The way you play the game is up to you, if you don't like what I built, that's fair, just don't use it. But don't be hard on yourself, at the end of the day, both the infinite gas storage and the electrolyzer flooding both use the same exploit and convincing yourself otherwise, is just splitting hairs.

I show this build, purely for the benefit of others, and perhaps others will find a use for it.

Petrol and Oil are best IMO.  I've described how much to use in my original post, ~90kg oil & ~20kg petrol, these figures don't have to be exact.  So long as the electrolyzer doesn't become flooded.

Petrol & oil are preferred as they have high boiling points, well above the operating temperature.  You can get away with using salt water and water, but it's not reliable.

I'd recommend against using PW, if for any reason it off-gasses, you've got issues, which is just a hassle as it'll have to be re-evacuated and re-primed, which takes quite a long time and effort.  I've tried this build using water/salt water and for some reason, it was never reliable. Oil/Petrol is your best option IMO.

If you stick to my guidelines it should never go wrong.  If the gases go wrong and you end up with mixed gasses in either the top or the bottom, you will spend the next 50 cycles trying to re-evacuating the area ready for re-priming.

PW will never off-gas because 1) there is regular water on top of it, 2) the exterior pressure of hydrogen/oxygen is only below 1800g/tile (or was it 2kg?) for a few seconds in the beginning. I very much doubt that PW will off-gas when surrounded by 5t/tile of oxygen.

The minimum amount of liquid I actually don't know - gram-scale amounts can get deleted by the gas rather quickly, but there's a limit on it - I accidentally built my current NG geyser IGS capture with only a single tile deep (plastic) vent crevice that has 14 kg of oil in it instead of a two tile deep where the bottom tile has a full tile of oil, and it's been working completely fine for hundreds of cycles.

I'm pretty sure I've only had gas-vent-in-liquid builds break upon a buggy reload.

Just don't use PW, if it off gasses, your screwed, why risk it?  Can PW off-gas to the side? I don't know, because the sides are exposed by vent tiles.  Use PW at your own risk and if it fails, don't say I didn't tell you so.

The other big reason for not using it, is that if one of the electroylyzers becomes submerged, you'll have to mop things up, which will inevitably lead the PW offgassing, causing you extra work.  There really is just no need to use PW, it's just risky and foolish.

I've used water in similar builds to this in previous games and for some reason water based electrolyzers or infinite gas storage things tend to fail, I don't know why, I just know that they never fail for me when I use oil or petrol.

20 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

Just don't use PW, if it off gasses, your screwed, why risk it?

It'll never off-gas bar a buggy reload consequence, and that PO2 bubble will be the least of your problems in that case. PW is readily available, whereas you have to go find some oil and petroleum.

23 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

Can PW off-gas to the side?

Only up.

23 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

if one of the electroylyzers becomes submerged

Why would it? Again, only a buggy reload will lead to any problems. And 10 kg/tile is not enough to trigger flood. 50 kg/tile of oil, however, can do that, seen it with my own eyes.

25 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

PW offgassing, causing you extra work

Delete it by building a tile over it. You'll probably have to chase it depending on the setup, but you'll never have to worry about it because it'll never enter the conditions required for off-gassing.

27 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

There really is just no need to use PW

There's no need to use any applicable liquid. It only needs to remain liquid at the operating temperature of the electrolyzer, pick whatever you want from those. PW is much easier and earlier to come by than oil and especially petroleum.

Archived