Sleet wheet farm help

You can reduce the amount of cooling you need to employ by controlling the flow of the water.  I find that if you are feeding your plants warm water, then reducing the flow with a valve increases the amount of heat deleted by a plant.  1 sleet wheat consumes 33.333 g/s water, so I generally give 3 sleet wheats 100 g/s water total when I grow it, using branches such that every 3 seconds, 100 grams of water goes to one of the plants using a T junction.

You want to make sure that the plant is ready before you start giving it water because you don't want a stockpile of water in the hydroponic tiles if you are using warm water.

You can get water to be the right temperature by mixing your base water with ice.  Setup a bunch of storage compactors set to a max of 200 kg of ice, plus one set to the max.  Setup a water pump that puts water into the chamber if it's either too cold or running low on water.  The water will melt the ice and steadily cool down.  Once it's between freezing and the correct temperature for the sleet wheat, it can be cycled around your farm to both regulate it's temperature or to keep the water from freezing in the pipes.

Sleet wheat's survival temp unfortunately is only 5c above water's freezing point. Its hard to get water to this temp range because aquatuners shift temps by 14c but you don't have to. There are some tricks you can do.

Cool the water as much as you can and pipe it to the farm tiles with insulated pipes. The plants will pull the majority of their body temp from the planter and air around them. So you can cool those things towards the bottom of the wheat's favored temp and the water won't freeze in the pipe or put too much heat into the plants. 

Put a line of metal tiles under the planters and pipe a coolant through them that brings them down to your target temp. This will cool the planters down. Leave a single planter out, put a bit of liquid in it that won't freeze and put in a tempshift plate. This will cool the air.

On 08/12/2019 at 6:51 AM, TheEvilMango said:

What isba good set up for a sleet wheet farm? I've wanted to do but not sure on the set up? Is it good enough to cool the farm and get the water to about 50f or do u have to get it below 41f?

For me, the easiest and simpliest solution is to use the Pips to do this :

maisglace.thumb.png.bc3ac2b7a28242f8d9f636c940086f49.png

You can use Farm Station to improve the yield.

More informations about Pips :

If you want a domesticated version, you don't need to cool water, just the gaz room enough.

Archived