Gas sieve help

33 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I'm going to be starting a  new colony but here's my previous base.

It's kinda hard to see what's going on with the zoom out. Could you screenshot the problem area with preferably the liquid gas overlay?

By gas sieve, i'm assuming you mean the gas filter? White connection is the input, orange part is the gas you want to filter out and green gives you (input-filtered). So if you have oxygen, polluted oxygen, hydrogen, carbon dioxide all mixed in a single pipe, you connect it to the white part, whatever you select in the filter will be filtered out through the orange part (lets' say hydrogen) and the green will give you oxygen, polluted oxygen and carbon dioxide. If I'm remembering correctly, the filter stops working if either the orange output or the green output gets blocked, could be why you're having issues?

6 minutes ago, Mojo Filter said:

That would depend on what you want it to do. What are you trying to accomplish?

Place each gas where they are supposed to go. Carbon for mushroom and slicksters, polluted for pufts, oxygen for dense, chlorine for squeakies, hydrogen for generator, natural gas for the other generator...

39 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Place each gas where they are supposed to go. Carbon for mushroom and slicksters, polluted for pufts, oxygen for dense, chlorine for squeakies, hydrogen for generator, natural gas for the other generator...

Ah. In this case the only thing you can do to prevent occasional/permanent backups is to have an infinite/sufficiently high capacity storage between the filter and the ultimate destination. 

Or there is a mod with smart pumps that let you only draw a single element.
Carefully layering your base with upside down cups in the right places catches gasses that are rising while falling gasses slip over the edge and dont directly mix, allowing better separation.

Yeah, if you are trying to put six different gasses through a single set of pipes, it is possible, but it would potentially cause problems. If I remember correctly, Brothgar did a couple videos on just such a project, creating a giant gas loop around a base to create a single set of pipes to carry everything, then just filtered out the proper gasses where needed. You could search for them on YouTube if you want to see how he handled it.

Make sure that you don't have gas building up in the pipes at the outputs. Regular gas vents normally cap out at two kilos of pressure. If you have plastic, use the high pressure vents that will keep output going up to twenty kilos of pressure. Don't use high pressure vents where your dupes are out of atmo suits though, as you will burst their eardrums from the high pressure. You could also consider using gas storage tanks before the vent or generator to help buffer the flow. 

On 12/8/2019 at 5:33 PM, Mojo Filter said:

Yeah, if you are trying to put six different gasses through a single set of pipes, it is possible, but it would potentially cause problems. If I remember correctly, Brothgar did a couple videos on just such a project, creating a giant gas loop around a base to create a single set of pipes to carry everything, then just filtered out the proper gasses where needed. You could search for them on YouTube if you want to see how he handled it.

I did something like that wayyyy back. I did pipe everything into just one line, then separate the different stuff out for storage in caverns. That was with the old map size and no tanks though. At the moment, I think it is not really worthwhile anymore. I just filter hydrogen at the top (I do not use any of the SPOM designs) and remove CO2 at the bottom. Unless you have flatulent dupes, that is it for a closed base.

22 hours ago, Gurgel said:

At the moment, I think it is not really worthwhile anymore.

It would not be my first solution either. I prefer to keep just one type of gas per pipe system and try to keep the gas volume up, even though it can lead to some pretty bad pipe spaghetti at times. I also prefer to dig out caverns for any necessary large volume gas storage. On my current map, I have a ridiculous amount of natural gas (four vents), which was great early game when I needed the power, but now just builds up in a giant cavern.

The narrow case I might consider it is if I had a bunch of low output, but still useful, vents in widely dispersed locations. Using a single set of pipes to move multiple low volume gasses and then reseparating them at their destinations could potentially be more efficient than giving each their own individual pipe systems.

Archived