another thread about dupes prioritization

I am looking for help in understanding how dupes work.

Im at cycle 750 with 13 dupes and lots of times i tell them to do stuff and they fiddle around and don't do it.

I already read the forums and give every dupe one thing to do exclusively (2-up-arrows) and all other things are 1 arrow up or less.

It worked for a most parts, but sometimes it really just doesnt work and it ruin the game.

For example, the last time I had an oil well getting over-pressured and had a dupe to 'operate' it.

half the way there she gets wet-feet debuff after crossing a small puddle. does the ******* 'shake legs' animation. then panics that she needs to get breath so she runs to the the close deffuser (which provides o2 to an exo suit near by). take like 5 seconds to breath and... then runs to do some other task.

turns out, by the time she shacked her feet and breathed, the second dupe I have that is double arrow 'operate' toke that oil well task instead.

So now the second dope runs there, again steps in the puddle. shake shake. take breath.... and now the first one takes over that task again.

So those two were just running around until I had to un-mark one of them from operate so only one had the 2-arrow-operate.

as I said I already know to give every dupe only 1 thing to 'care' for (have one cook, 2 ranchers, 1 farmer, 2 suppliers/cleaners, 2 builders, 2 diggers, 2 operators).

help or advice?

1 hour ago, meepmoop said:

For example, the last time I had an oil well getting over-pressured and had a dupe to 'operate' it.

half the way there she gets wet-feet debuff after crossing a small puddle. does the ******* 'shake legs' animation. then panics that she needs to get breath so she runs to the the close deffuser (which provides o2 to an exo suit near by). take like 5 seconds to breath and... then runs to do some other task.

turns out, by the time she shacked her feet and breathed, the second dupe I have that is double arrow 'operate' toke that oil well task instead.

So now the second dope runs there, again steps in the puddle. shake shake. take breath.... and now the first one takes over that task again.

So those two were just running around until I had to un-mark one of them from operate so only one had the 2-arrow-operate.

as I said I already know to give every dupe only 1 thing to 'care' for (have one cook, 2 ranchers, 1 farmer, 2 suppliers/cleaners, 2 builders, 2 diggers, 2 operators).

This is not a priority issue.  I have a challenge for you.  Hold your breath, run down to the grocery store, buy some things, and come back before you breathe.  You can't?  Is it because of the puddle on the sidewalk the corner and your feet getting soaked?

Also, depressurizing the oil well takes quite a while, so if the shaking feet animation stops them from reaching the oil well, they won't be able to empty it efficiently.

The issue here is that they can't breathe.  You need to either oxygenate the room and the path or use exosuits.  Exosuits are preferable because oil wells are hot enough to burn your dupes. 

5 hours ago, Zarquan said:

This is not a priority issue.  I have a challenge for you.  Hold your breath, run down to the grocery store, buy some things, and come back before you breathe.  You can't?  Is it because of the puddle on the sidewalk the corner and your feet getting soaked?

Also, depressurizing the oil well takes quite a while, so if the shaking feet animation stops them from reaching the oil well, they won't be able to empty it efficiently.

The issue here is that they can't breathe.  You need to either oxygenate the room and the path or use exosuits.  Exosuits are preferable because oil wells are hot enough to burn your dupes. 

Sorry, I might miss a detail. When the dupes stoped to breath, they did it near a diffuser which provides o2 to an exo suit just 5 tiles away. when they get to that point, they can hop on to the exo suit and get to the well before the time it would take them to return to base. The problem was, that when they take brearth they technically didnt do the oil task they were doing until then. As such, the other operator-dupe toke over the task from this point (started running from the base). So when the first one finished breathing, the oil-task is already taken (even though he can finish is faster since the task is like 15 tiles from him) so he instead goes to the base to do some other chore. when he gets to the base, the second dupe has the same situation going. so now he runs to the oil well again. hence repeat.

but the thing is this can happen all around. building stuff far away, ranching far away, toggling far away things.

I tried cleaning the puddles and making small oxygen outpost along the way. but puddles created all the time (man I hate that soggy feet animation, like the stress debuff is not enough but not with slow process). And they wont recover much breath in outposts unless they stop in them (which stops the current task.)

I tried exosuits everywhere but its very energy intensive. and counter productive when they need to do tasks that are right out of the base.

3 hours ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Workaround: 

Make a door if you haven't at the oil well and only allow one operator access...

The thing is, this specific situation is not the whole problem. stuff like those happen all the time. Dupes running somewhere to do something, then stopping mid-way for 'needs' (like breath). giving door permission only for 1 dupe means the who operation depends only on him. what if he sleeps now? break? hospital? or I have other tasks for him? yea it will work for the oil well but to do it for every thing and every dupe on the map is problem.

What if I get more dupes (I have just 13 at the moment)?

the thing is, mopping every puddle or filling all the map in oxygen is not obtainable.

its not that I want them to do stuff immediately, what I want them is: when they decide to do stuff, they actually get to do them. otherwise they just running around changing chores all the time and in the end getting to do nothing.

Where you get all this puddles, and what eat all your oxygen?

Really, there are some situation of spilled liquid or temporary oxygen shortage, but if your dupes have trouble breathing – solve this first. No matter what you use to produce oxygen, just double oxygen production by building same construction again – and forget about this kind of problem.

As long as you have plenty of oxygen, there are not much thing in game causing your dupe to switch from task to life-saving. They eat and visit privy in free time, not in work time. Suffocation is your most obvious problem, fix it.

And put a lot of Atmo Suits just on exit from base. They consume energy only on recharge and just for a couple of seconds, and makes all your dupes productive outside of base

Ok so this is what`s happening in the OP. A dupe goes to depressurize the oil well (which is high priority i assume) along the way he losses breath and stops the task to regain breath. During that time He`s not doing the task so another dupe is assigned to do it. Once the first dupe ctches breath he gets a different task (the previous one is taken) and goes back. The next dupe also loses breath and the situation repeats. It causes an endless loop without the task ever being done. It actually has nothing to do with priorities too.

Only way to fix it is to restrict only one dupe to the area or to the task so no other will steal the task when he is catching breath. But better to remove the main cause which is insufficient oxygen in the area. A single diffuser might not be enough. Much better to put algae terrariums every 10 or so tiles or pump oxygen in there using valves so it doesn`t waste too much oxygen in an area with low traffic.

I agree with the suggestions mentioned above, this is not a priority issue, it's bad design, but it's something we all face and luckily, there is a way to get past this stage of the game.

I have a central living quarters containing beds, kitchen, toilets etc, this has 1 or 2 exits that have exosuit docks (perhaps 10 at each).  Everything outside the living quarters is accessed by dupes in exosuits, because they can't leave the living quarters without donning an exosuit.

If you don't have exosuits, as it has already been mentioned, strategically place terrariums around the place until you can make exosuits.  It's a really crap solution to have your dupes run around the majority of the map without exosuits, sooner or later your dupes will eventually die from suffocation or technically hypoxia.

6 hours ago, meepmoop said:

Sorry, I might miss a detail. When the dupes stoped to breath, they did it near a diffuser which provides o2 to an exo suit just 5 tiles away. when they get to that point, they can hop on to the exo suit and get to the well before the time it would take them to return to base. The problem was, that when they take brearth they technically didnt do the oil task they were doing until then. As such, the other operator-dupe toke over the task from this point (started running from the base). So when the first one finished breathing, the oil-task is already taken (even though he can finish is faster since the task is like 15 tiles from him) so he instead goes to the base to do some other chore. when he gets to the base, the second dupe has the same situation going. so now he runs to the oil well again. hence repeat.

but the thing is this can happen all around. building stuff far away, ranching far away, toggling far away things.

I tried cleaning the puddles and making small oxygen outpost along the way. but puddles created all the time (man I hate that soggy feet animation, like the stress debuff is not enough but not with slow process). And they wont recover much breath in outposts unless they stop in them (which stops the current task.)

I tried exosuits everywhere but its very energy intensive. and counter productive when they need to do tasks that are right out of the base.

In this case, you should either have them get in to exosuits earlier or have them walk through rooms with oxygen on the way.  Or put in a door to only allow one dupe.  Exosuits don't use that much energy.  They use a lot of watts, but they only use power for a few seconds as they recharge the suit.

In bases where I don't have all dupes wear exosuits (which is a viable strategy), I oxygenate all paths so that dupes can get around.  I generally have a large "spine" where my dupes can go up to the top or down to the bottom which is completely oxygenated, then I have branching paths that either have exosuits or oxygen.  You can use doors, CO2 locks, or waterlocks to keep the oxygen contained where you want it.

Another idea is to make it so that the dupe has to wait for a time at the oxygen outpost using a dupe checkpoint.  I have never used one of these before, but in theory they should work.  Basically, you have a dupe sensor that makes them wait in the room for a while (like 15-30 seconds) before they can continue.  And they don't lose their task while they are waiting if you set up the checkpoint properly.  But, at this point, an exosuit would be more efficient.

Also, mesh tiles are good at dealing with recurring puddles if they are in the way.

Quickest way has been mentioned, just a simple mesh door can serve to prohibit one operator or all but one operator from entering the area. They can also be used as a floor that liquids and gasses can pass through so might help prevent your puddle by rotating the door with the O key.
Longer term, either provide better oxygen or remove the need by placing atmo suits better. I like a semi pressurised dome style base and atmo suits on exit, This saves a huge amount of time on travel as your dupes will complete each task without having to run for air 3 times. You can again use doors to break areas up, allowing access without atmo suits to close areas and locking further tasks behind doors or transit tubes only accessible from atmo dock.

Archived