Hatches in the door

Hello!

I see some designs for farming hatches, with door closing on them.

As far as I can understand, this makes hatches burrowed, and something changes in their hunger or reproduction.

Can somebody knowledgeable explain, what exactly happens with hatch, while it burrowed inside closed door? Some timers stops? Some statuses apply or not apply?

2 hours ago, Prince Mandor said:

So, closing them in a door have no profit over open ranch?

Why make a strange system with door instead of one isolated tile in some open place? I, obviously, miss something

Because open ranches aren't actually open. It'll keep track of how much space is available despite it not counting as a room for any other purposes.

That and because the smallest door ranch takes up three spaces total (excluding automation).

15 hours ago, Yunru said:

That and because the smallest door ranch takes up three spaces total (excluding automation).

Ok, I understand part about "not really open". I can try it in space, but otherwise it is always some fixed number of cells, and sooner or later they became overfilled. So, put them in a door is only possible choice for really big herds.

But "door ranch in three spaces" means we don't feed them? AFAIK tame hatches cannot reproduce if they are not feed, even in gloom state. Or possibly numbers changed from time I test them?

1 hour ago, Prince Mandor said:

But "door ranch in three spaces" means we don't feed them? AFAIK tame hatches cannot reproduce if they are not feed, even in gloom state. Or possibly numbers changed from time I test them?

You can open the door periodically to let them feed (and lay eggs). As long as the door is open for around 40% of the day (but in multiple openings) each hatch should lay a single egg before dying.

On 04/12/2019 at 2:41 PM, Prince Mandor said:

Each feeded hatch, you mean?

No.  If you keep the hatches not-cramped, not-confined and remove eggs from the room (preventing cramped), a hatch will produce an egg before it dies, without needing to be fed anything.  All creatures are the same in this respect.  Apart from crappy moos and maybe Drecko's, I'm not sure about Drecko's, as they feed of plants only.

As soon as you feed a creature, it'll demand more food and then may become starved and die prematurely before producing an egg.

I guess creatures are like wolves and bears, once they get the taste for human blood, they'd rather die than go without :D

Archived