A new craftable in the Seafaring tab called a Wooden Dock

Recipe- 1 wooden flooring, 8 logs, and 4 rope

Placement- When crafted and moved with a mouse, a turf overlay shows but it is red when over solid ground.
    When your mouse is over the ocean however it shows white and says "Place turf". When placed it will act like any tile block and you can walk on it freely and place structures. When its placed in shallow waters it will be instantly built but however when you build it more in the deeper parts of the ocean it will be instead a WIP dock kit and it would require boards and logs to finish it.

Behavior- When placed the player can freely walk on it if was it was just any other tile. The player can place different turfs on the dock to change its wooden appearance. Grass turf can be placed and trees and plant scan grow on it.
    The dock has health and its appearance depends on how low it is, you can repair the dock just like the boat with logs, planks, twigs etc. The dock also is a major fire hazard and will go up in flames if it catches fire or if it smolders in summer. If a bunch of docks is built near a salt brine biome, any near cookie cutters will start chewing on the dock damaging it. When destroyed, any structures on that dock tile will be destroyed immediately just like when a boat sinks, players will also sink into the ocean if they are standing on a sinking dock.

This is really cool, but I have a few suggestions. 

1. I think this should only be plant able in shallow water, and it should always be connected to land. 

2. I think that boats should not take any damage, or at least reduced damage for crashing into this.

11 hours ago, Mooagain said:

1. I think this should only be plant able in shallow water, and it should always be connected to land. 

That feels unnecessarily limiting imo. Are there really any strong benefits for living out in the deep ocean that deserve such a limitation? Hounds can swim, so they could make hound waves come after you on these docks. Giants can't swim, so you'd be missing out on deerclops loot if you spend winter out at sea. Plants can't be planted without some form of soil, so you'd be missing out on grass tufts, saplings, berry bushes, trees, etc. I assume the telelocator rules would apply to docks too, which means no grass gekkos or many other mobs without exploits. Summer would be even more hazardous than usual since there's no sandstorm on the water and the ground is entirely made of wood. Being out on the deep ocean also means you'd either need a super long bridge to go between your base and the main land, or you'd have to take a boat each time, both of which take lots of time to navigate. Plus, in general, living out on the ocean like that would mean you're far away from things like pig kings, reeds, caves, etc.

It's not like living out on the ocean would be super strong and require a heavy limitation, if anything the most powerful thing you'd be capable of is just having lots of walking room for fishing.

You know...this is a good compromise.

If they basically work like completely stationary boats rather than normal land (except that you can turf them), this would be a great alternative to the old requests for land expansion. Would also make the bridges that we're already building look less silly.
And it would satisfy people who want to round out the edges of their megabases with even terrain. Savior of OCD people everywhere.

I love this concept.

One thing I'd like is if the edges always have a sort of wooden border, though, so you can tell what area is dock rather than normal land, and thereby vulnerable.

Yeah the deeper the water the more materials you need for it. If you place a dock in deep water it will be a dock WIP kit and you need to give it more logs, rope, and planks. This discourages lunar bridges with it until REALLY late game when you have too much wood.

2 hours ago, Nickolai said:

Yeah the deeper the water the more materials you need for it. If you place a dock in deep water it will be a dock WIP kit and you need to give it more logs, rope, and planks. This discourages lunar bridges with it until REALLY late game when you have too much wood.

...problem with that being, then we'd just use Boats (like bridges are made right now). There aren't any threats to boats in the game unless you choose to go somewhere specific that will threaten your Boat. There's nothing keeping the Boats from being infinitely stationary structures.

That's why I'm thinking of the Docks as more of a cosmetic thing. Land extension, which Boats can currently do, but without the spaces between Boats limiting your options...and looks less silly. A bit of added peace of mind knowing that it doesn't have an anchor that can be lifted.
Now...maybe some sort of higher cost Dock that's made of Stone and thereby impervious to Fire? That'd be something that people might spend time on.

Outside of bridges to points of interest, which already seems to be the main use of Boats in public servers...
Land expansion isn't actually that powerful. It opens some building options, which is kind of the point, but it doesn't majorly change how the game is played.
Messed with it in the past on a few servers. Most common thing people did with actual land editing (limited water-walking with the ability to place Turf anywhere) was a private island with a small connection to the mainland for entrance.
Only big differences now would probably be setting them up near good fishing spots, or the Lunar island...which, again, is already done with Boat bases.

Isn’t this just something taken from the Home Sea Home update? 

I think Docks would be exploited by players building a huge wooden bridge from the main land all the way out to the lunar islands (they already do this with a bunch of boats... but I mean you don’t wanna make it any easier right?)

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Isn’t this just something taken from the Home Sea Home update? 

I think Docks would be exploited by players building a huge wooden bridge from the main land all the way out to the lunar islands (they already do this with a bunch of boats... but I mean you don’t wanna make it any easier right?)

...I mean, Boats are just Wood and the Lunar hopping path usually doesn't take many. You basically Lunar Bridging can't make it easier than it already is.

Main points of Docks would still be appearance and the feeling of stability.

I don’t exactly see why boat bridges to the lunar island are brought up anyways. Sure, it seems like it takes away from the sailing aspect, but it’s not like it’s super time effective. You waste a lot of resources and time for something barely faster than a two sail boat. I think the docks would be a great idea even if they could extend to deep ocean.

2 hours ago, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

I don’t exactly see why boat bridges to the lunar island are brought up anyways. Sure, it seems like it takes away from the sailing aspect, but it’s not like it’s super time effective. You waste a lot of resources and time for something barely faster than a two sail boat. I think the docks would be a great idea even if they could extend to deep ocean.

I believe that most people only have an issue with the boat bridge thing because there should be some sort of sealife that refuses to let a large on sea base exist.

when I first started a game called Ark Survival Evolved i would steal everything I needed off land and then retreat to an On Sea Base, other players and wild dino’s Couldn’t rob and destroy my stuff because I lived out at sea and had a 8 part house constructed of 8 different boats all strategically placed together like a puzzle to build an on the Sea mansion.

this is 100% completely relevant in every way to Don’t Starve Together- Because the developers of Ark saw what I had done and then shortly afterwards they patched in a new giant boat hating Sea Whale who’s only purpose in the game was to angrily chase after and destroy boats that are out in the ocean.

Bye Bye super safe Sea Base :(

On the topic of boat bridges and the lunar island, I rarely make them to be honest. Most of the time I only need or want to visit the lunar island once. I just use the extra time on the first full moon day to scout out and find it as goose, get an inventory of moon items (stone fruit bushes, anenemys, bull kelp stalks, and even sometimes lune moths) and them bring them back to base. I rarely use glass axes and weapons, so I don't have a reason to really go back. I hope that there is more reason to stay there later and not just pop in and visit eventually.

Back on topic: Legitimate docks would be cool though, I can see some nice art of them now.

Archived