We have so much free power in ONI.

In my latest base I have 2 natural gas geysers, 1 hydrogen gas geyser, 1 leaky oil fissure, 1 volcano. 3 oil wells and who knows what more.

Not to mention my stone hatches producing an endless supply of coal, eating igneous rock, my shinebug reactors (thank you Brothgar), my metal refineries, my regolith steam turbines and more.
We have no use for so much power.
I`ve linked everything together with a single 50k watt wire, I`m already sending petroleum rockets out and its barely going over 20k watts for the whole base.
I can probobly do 200k watts power production.

What to do with all this power?

1. Critter that eats electricity, it`ll feed of of a power line in a ranch.
It can be like a natural battery, if the grid has less than 10% of its maximum capacity, then the critter will offload power into the grid when feeding.
If the grid has 10%+ capacity, then the critter will siphon power.
If the critter is kept well fed for 12 cycles(critter power capacity doesnt drop below 90% for 12 cycles), then it`ll cocoon into an egg for 6 cycles.
When the egg hatches, we get 2 electricity critters.
If the critter is not well fed, then it`ll just keep storing power for lets say 100 cycles.
From this critter we`ll get power storage, lime and meat.

2. Add a new machine, Industrial Furnice, where we get refined metal, ceramic and other stuff.
It should work slower (heat up) but it should produce 500 kg of refined stuff per recipe.
Something like that

3. Overdrive options for utility buildings
Want robo miner to dig twice as fast? Cool, provide it with 3 times the power
Want the aqua tuner to drop the temperature 28 degress? OK, provide it with 3.6k WATTS
You want the tapidizer to actually boil water on its own? 3k Watts will do the tricks
You get the point

We'll need bigger wires? I mean Aquatuner should use 3x power for 2x temperature.

3 settings maybe? Eco Normal and Boost: Eco: 0.5x power 0.75x output, Normal: 1x power 1x output, Boost 3x power 2x output.

Could be set for generators too to be more or less efficient. (more sweet byproducts and more heat!)

Then again we won't have much use for that anyway. But one 6kW overfed petroleum generator could be nice! (boost + tinker)

3x DTU too! :D

I like the idea of a critter that eats electricity but we still need some more power sinks, especially if they plan to add stuff like nuclear power further down the line. What could use that power?

How about terraforming. Lets add a machine that changes all that useless rock into dirt and some leftover sand.

Or maybe a bioreactor, producing industrial amounts of slime out of water and tons of power.

Rock makers - creating concrete out of sand or it`s space version out of regolith, dropping it off as liquid turning then into "natural" tiles.

A transmutation device that can create different elements out of hydrogen and a huge power cost.

Force fields to protect the surface without blocking sight off.

Archived