Idea for next beta

4 hours ago, -Variant said:

This doesn't make sense.

The most I can see if Billy and Mumsy coming back, but the Elder Bog, an area you get to via portal, as an island doesn't feel right.

Well considering the mermified goats swam into the [Gorge] ocean and wound up in the Constant, AND Warly ended up shipwrecking on the Constant from Shipwrecked/Hamlet I'd say there's a bit more to traveling between these places than just portals.

Portals are just the quick means of connecting distance. It's not like you can't just walk/sail to places connected via Lazy Deserter/Telelocator Focus. It just makes it significantly faster.

29 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Well considering the mermified goats swam into the [Gorge] ocean and wound up in the Constant, AND Warly ended up shipwrecking on the Constant from Shipwrecked/Hamlet I'd say there's a bit more to traveling between these places than just portals.

Portals are just the quick means of connecting distance. It's not like you can't just walk/sail to places connected via Lazy Deserter/Telelocator Focus. It just makes it significantly faster.

I had a theory a while back that maybe the sea and the sky both act as sort of "portals" between realms.
For the sky:
- Maxwell has no idea where birds are coming from, except for redbirds which he says come from "the fire lands."
- Wilson got to Hamlet by crashing a hot air balloon.
For the sea:
- Merms were able to swim from the Elder Bog to the Constant, and at some point to SW where some evolved into fishermerms.
- Wilson got to SW by, well, shipwrecking.
This theory has a ton of holes at this point, but I still wanted to share in case someone else can figure out how to make it actually make sense with what we know now.

The way you make the teleports is to find a ship wreck or crushed balloon in the RoG world. Every time you start a new game it’s a new timeline  so I think when you start in the RoG world someone from both shipwrecked and hamlet tried to escape and ended up in the RoG world hence how you got the portal parts. When you start at one of those DLC lands it is a different timeline where you tried to escape and ended up in hamlet or shipwrecked. Just think about it, if you were to build a portal in hamlet the main ingredient is at a palace and secure, and in shipwrecked it is already build and on an island with a skeleton next to it. Clearly those portals were built long before Wilson stepped on to that worlds. 

5 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Snorp

Yeah, this I get.
I openly talk about how they're connected, my wording here was fairly off.
It seemed like OP meant the actual Elder Bog itself just as an island in the world, which in itself didn't make sense to me.
Even if you could travel via boat there, there'd be the Gnaw and whatnot.

Archived