Are solid rocket boosters worth it?

Everywhere I’ve seen seems to suggest that solid rocket boosters are the step between steam alone and petroleum+oxylite, but from what I can tell they’re not really necessary. They can extend the range to 20000, and even to 30000 if you’re willing to ditch a science module, but it doesn’t seem like that’s really necessary. The 1000 databanks from the first two asteroids seem like they’ll get me most of the way to petroleum engines, and even if they don’t, repeating the mission seems like the better option. Sure, it won’t get me anywhere near as much science per launch, but all a mission on the steam engine takes is duplicant time, while a mission with a SRB burns my iron and oxylite reserves, as well as requiring more resources to upgrade the silo and rocket. Is there any good reason to use the solid booster that I’m overlooking?

It's only a stop gap until petrol. Without either you are staying on the first planet without cargo, which means no niobium, which means no aquatuner petrol boiler, which may mean no petrol rocket depending on what you care about. Repeat for fullerene and LO2.

They also allow you to send a cargo module to the first two asteroids. But that doesn't seem necessary unless you really want some early Fullerene, Isoresin or Niobium. Still, if you absolutely need some supercoolant right now it could be nice

18 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Dealing with steam is a huge pain, because it cools down and breaks pipes. 

Manage steam the same way you manage liquid oxygen or hydrogen. Heat it to well above 100 degrees, like 200 to 300 is better, and then recirculate your supply pipe until the pipe itself heats above 100c. 

No break, no fix.

As others have said, it's just a necessary step between steam and petroleum.  The booster just doesn't give enough thrust to weight to justify using it for anything other than getting to 20,000 with steam science and 10,000 with steam cargo.  In addition to the above problems, it takes ten times as long to fuel a steam rocket as it does a petroleum one.  Gas pipes can carry 1 kg/s, liquid 10 kg/s.

Archived