Finally achieved Carnivore achievement!

https://toolsnotincluded.net/map-tools/map-browser/map/121939

I used this map to do this, but I'm sure there are better maps.

I was also trying to work towards super sustainable so I didn't use coal or natural gas that was nearby. I didn't have plastic, so I held off on the hot steam geyser nearby, as I wanted to tap that for power once plastic was a thing. It was all hamster wheels. The worst part is I didn't notice till too late that one of my starting dupes was anemic. I also accidentally picked an anemic dupe as my 4th as well. *shudders*

At first, it was more difficult than I realized. It was a rime map, so starting crops for the most part were too cold to grow naturally, and no pips to replant. I barely got any sustenance from them. Instead I dug around and got all the muck roots, and every single hexafruit I could. This kept me going long enough to get meat on the menu.

Due to lack of food, I didn't pick up a 4th dupe till around 40 cycles in. The lack of labor made it slow going, and I gathered as much water into one spot as I could before it all froze. I didn't even have the labor to run on more than one treadmill at once for a long time, so no heating until later.

As soon as I could, I got a stables set up, and started crushing copper to make incubators, and timers. I set my timers so that there were 4 sections to a day, and an incubator would only be on during 6 slices.

At this point I started grabbing more dupes and expanding my hamster power. The base was a mess with polluted O2 everywhere, but it was cold, so at least it was germ free. As I got more eggs, I expanded my incubators till eventually I hit 16 of them and 4 stables full of 8 hatches each. This provided enough food for about 16 dupes. I stopped growing population at 10 around week 60.

By week 60 I had 3 stables full, and 12 incubators, and thought this would be enough, but meat wasn't being produced fast enough yet to eat constantly. In a flash of insight, I added another stables and incubators till the above numbers, but I also noticed I was falling behind on where I should be with 10 dupes. I had ~30 MCal eaten by day 65. This was when I just started grabbing any mouth to feed till I hit 15 dupes. Slowly but surely I started catching back up.

By cycle 95, I had finished the challenge. My base is a mess, but now at least I can focus on collecting the pieces and using the labor to improve things. I've got 60 MCals saved up, which is 4 days worth of food, and I just got 3 drecko eggs, so I can start getting cloth, and later, plastic for suits and advanced machines. I had to skip 3 slickster eggs though. I had no way to keep them warm at the time, and I'm still not close to super sustainable at only 10% of the require power used.

Still, I'm relieved that I did it :D

Congrats! My current asteroid is my first all achievement map (in progress) and I chose Rime as well. I got super lucky and in the first 100 days got 8 pacus for printing three times! (no save-scumming honest!). I also went ranching hard from the get-go, only supplementing with muckroot and hexafruit in the beginning and a couple times when the meat was running low. I only went with 10 dupes through it because I calculated I could make it with that amount and with my meat generation. The calculations were dead on as I got it on cycle 100. 

I almost lost Locavore for myself because I was going to do my typical lone Reed plant in my bathroom loop but thankfully caught myself before it got planted.

For super sustainable, I had to ignore the 4! natural gas vents around me and searched and got lucky with a hydrogen vent. That lasted me through most of the achievement, till it went dormant before I got it so I had to do the last little bit with hamster wheels... 

You may not want to hear this, but in my current 0 effort play through, I spammed the printing pod for vole eggs after cycle 24 (when they unlock). They give food at a frequency of 11000kcal/cycle if you keep printing them. Just make sure to have 8 dupes by cycle 50 eating bbq if you haven't started carnivore by then. I always keep a stress eater on hand just in case. I did get carnivore the legit way the first time by ranching hatches.

Soooooo, how are you handling the after math of carnivore :p

15 dupes are quite the handful.

11 hours ago, Chthonicone said:

Have either of you guys noticed that the achievement for having a toilet for every dupe is now permanently locked? Why is that? It says "This colony cannot meet these requirements."

That's strange. Never seen that before. But others have it seems:

32 minutes ago, Vampyre_by said:

Unfortunately it didn't work. It seems that this achievement in Steam counts only in moment when condition is fulfilled, not later

whoops, my b :(. Unfortunately that was the only back up I made for this map. Hopefully someone else can post theirs. This seems like a good passive project to work on. I'll start saving copies just before I complete an achievement. If everyone donates, we could have a cheat sheet in no time.

image.thumb.png.0064dc09d0ad3295aa1785fab5f915bf.png

On 10/7/2019 at 8:41 PM, Chthonicone said:

Have either of you guys noticed that the achievement for having a toilet for every dupe is now permanently locked? Why is that? It says "This colony cannot meet these requirements."

I see what you mean. The bug is back. Unless the patch hasn't been released yet.

Archived