Volcano taming steam chamber help

I have tamed my volcano. It erupted once, and then went dormant! SUCCESS!!!

Except now I have hot rocks in a room full of cooling steam. The steam should be leeching heat from those rocks, with the tempshift plate spreading it to the metal tiles, but it's been cycles and the rocks are still above 700C.

Do rocks transfer heats with gasses much, or should I have a liquid in there to heat as well?

40 minutes ago, biopon said:

Something like this. This isn't perfect, my 2nd volcano tamer ever, but an OK start I think.

Not sure about the pump though.

image.thumb.png.f6e6fc9915b6c1f0f595fe27a20a1924.png

A thought...
Couldn't you grab the rock from that lead chamber through the corners using sweepers at the right angle?

1 minute ago, Lancar said:

Couldn't you grab the rock from that lead chamber through the corners using sweepers at the right angle?

From the outside? No. But it's trivial to turn this into something that makes rock chunks that you can then sweep elsewhere.

image.thumb.png.f0c2e4d26890aa74708aab0ba0372523.png

The rock chunks drop onto the airflow tile next to the sweeper. The whole thing is in a vacuum so the sweeper and loader are cooled through that puddle.

I'm getting the rocks at 1406 degrees, which is pretty good because they don't solidify until 1407 :) The magma heat above 1406 goes into that diamond box with the thermometer, and that is cooled with the turbine on the left.

The hot rocks go elsewhere to do great things.

33 minutes ago, biopon said:

From the outside? No. But it's trivial to turn this into something that makes rock chunks that you can then sweep elsewhere.

image.thumb.png.f0c2e4d26890aa74708aab0ba0372523.png

The rock chunks drop onto the airflow tile next to the sweeper. The whole thing is in a vacuum so the sweeper and loader are cooled through that puddle.

I'm getting the rocks at 1406 degrees, which is pretty good because they don't solidify until 1407 :) The magma heat above 1406 goes into that diamond box with the thermometer, and that is cooled with the turbine on the left.

The problem in a volcano tamer such as this is that it extracts only a small portion of the magma heat and utilize it for power.

The majority of the heat is still stored in the rock, 1406C!, you only "used" ~300C for the magma in liquid state for power.

1 hour ago, Steve Raptor said:

The problem in a volcano tamer such as this is that it extracts only a portion of the magma heat and utilize it for power.

That's not actually a problem. I want hot rocks to cook petroleum with.

1 hour ago, Steve Raptor said:

The majority of the heat is still stored in the rock, 1406C!

I get 1406 degree rocks, which is 1 off perfect, so I'm OK with it.

That is the point. I only wasted 320C. 

1 hour ago, biopon said:

*snip*

No, i mean if you chop off the corners and grab the rocks diagonally...

7 minutes ago, Lancar said:

No, i mean if you chop off the corners and grab the rocks diagonally...

I didn't know sweepers could do that but they do show reach through corners... I don't know. If it works, then I guess you can. The problem is the rocks stay useful in the steam for a long time, and new ones come in sooner than the old ones expire. The sweeper won't grab the coolest one, it'll grab one at random.If you want to use the rocks with a steam battery, just leave them in there. If you want to move them around for whatever reason then have them form outside.

Depends what you want out of your tamer really.  For mine I want to extract as much heat out of the rocks as possible and convert it into power while letting the rocks be a decent temperature afterwards for building or hatch food.

5d75c0f197c63_VTBase.thumb.png.6acb223bc120f5410afb594744647b62.png

This takes advantage of the sweepers diagonal range to reach into these hotter areas.  The volcano in the example is only a minor one but the steel sweeper will still overheat in that steam room so using this approach prevents that.  Might be able to use space materials to run a sweeper in that room but I rarely go to space so I never use them.

Spoiler

5d75c0f4f35da_VTGasPressure.thumb.png.83f6a9b92aa3bae4c01f51f0acf8a7fd.png

Hydrogen, steam, and crude oil are used in this design.  It's important to have 140kg of steam or less around the volcano or else it will overpressurize and stop producing.  The other rooms aren't as precise as the volcano room.

5d75c0ede9c2f_VTAutomation.thumb.png.eff9aaf559264630fe7a0039d1eb3a90.png

Automation is fairly simple.  Two parts control the sweeper.  First, the left system must be not cooling anything.  Second the Volcano room needs to be cool enough so we aren't dealing with 1000C stuff in the door system.

5d75c0f816082_VTLiquid.thumb.png.35a98315371ea0354ed3b00a0a0a522c.png

5d75c0fb33ad2_VTShipping.thumb.png.e8458e2cfd0905821abf46c4e4cd5765.png

Note that the rails running through the diamond tiles (see image above) heat up the ceramic insulated tiles underneath (see image below).  Never created a problem for me but it's something to be aware of if running rails near tiles since rails interact with tiles the run through as well as below them.

5d75c0ff04a10_VTTemp.thumb.png.5bf03b619050d9316b211bf08f108aea.png

5d75c1028c7e9_VTWires.thumb.png.cf11bcfb973bdc8c600f1f2e5c8b8895.png

This system takes advantage of a few things.  There are some off screen conveyor mechanics that we use.  For some reason, conveyor rails won't transfer heat properly if off screen, so we use a conveyor bridge and extra diamond tile to ensure that heat is transferred properly.  This may have been fixed since I haven't checked any updates recently.

Next we use doors to trap materials in a tile, which transfers heat much faster than just running a conveyor rail through liquid or a gas.  And since it is a door, we can automate how long we wish to trap it there to extract heat.

With both these together, the output from the volcano comes out around 30C.  Could probably lower it more by tweaking the aquatuner to cool the area to 0C instead of 20C, but I don't feel the need too.  Most of the heat is extracted via the steam turbines.  The first turbine cools it to about 400C, the second to about 110C and that last bit of heat is absorbed into the cooling chamber and spit out via the aquatuner.

So far I've used this design on a Gold Volcano and a Minor Volcano.  It's in the process of being built around an Iron Volcano and I just uncovered a Volcano so we'll see if the design holds up to stronger volcanos.

5 minutes ago, DemainaNyx said:

Next we use doors to trap materials in a tile, which transfers heat much faster than just running a conveyor rail through liquid or a gas. 

If you are already using a conveyor to get the heat out, why bother with the door? I assume your door is from steel, diamond tiles have much better conductivity. The door trick and the conveyor heat exchanger do the same thing, and they both have their advantages and drawbacks.

1 minute ago, biopon said:

If you are already using a conveyor to get the heat out, why bother with the door? I assume your door is from steel, diamond tiles have much better conductivity. The door trick and the conveyor heat exchanger do the same thing, and they both have their advantages and drawbacks.

The issue though is that my conveyor rails are small.  The initlal one that travels from the volcano room to the doors isn't long enough to pull enough heat out.  It's still around 400C once it lands on the doors so you'd have to have a rather long rail to get it down to 110C that this can accomplish.

By using doors I can make it very small and keep the temperature in the location I want instead of running tons of conveyor rails.  Plus there is no easy way to determine the temperature of each specific packet on rails without using a mod.  You can run enough rails to get it to the temperature you want, which is fine if you don't mind making a unique set up for each volcano you uncover to get the desired temperature.  

For me though, I'd rather be able to copy/paste a design onto whatever volcano I find and know I'll get 30C metal/rocks out of it.  

It really depends on how you want to handle it though.  I was just hoping to draw power out of the volcanoes I found since I had 8 to work with.  If you only have one volcano though, you might want to use that heat for multiple projects like using the magma to convert crude to petrol while using the hot rocks to pre-heat the crude oil before moving the rocks to boil your salt water/brine before running it to warm your pincha pepper farm.  In this case, running a long conveyor rail isn't a problem and that heat is used to automate different goals instead of just being converted to power.

5 hours ago, biopon said:

That's not actually a problem. I want hot rocks to cook petroleum with.

I get 1406 degree rocks, which is 1 off perfect, so I'm OK with it.

That is the point. I only wasted 320C. 

Ah, if you use the rocks for something else then its a different story entirely.

Most people just leave them like that, I thought its the same case here.

Archived