ideas for woodie rework

So lately many people have been discussing about the rework of woodie. Some are for it and others are against it and some are trying to figure out what are the best ways to use the forms they have now.  I wanna try and figure out a good compromise for the usage of the forms without them being too strong.

One of my main thoughts was just give woodie the ability to transform at will no idol eating or random chance with monster meat. He is not a wilba. he is his own unique form of "were-ness"  and with the moon update I would think  woodie would gain more powers as shown with the new transformations but instead He can hone their powers.  I am thinking this primarily from the animation  you can see woodie change his forms at will to try and combat the leif (treegaurd) This is what he should be able to do to streamline his play.

Being able to make your game playable and have smooth transitions into the actions is more important than allowing animations to carry out.  This is why the combat is so much better in dst than in single player. In single player attacks need to carry through the whole animation  before you are allowed to move again. While  in dst you can move after the attack has hit to allow for better combat and dodging in the multiplayer realm.   It is still possible to have all  of the transformations but i would think make it as quick as the beaver transformation was, but still cancel-able  so that way if you really don't want to transform at that moment you can stop it. 

So what am i suggesting? I am suggesting make woodie able to transform at will and as penalty  have it be the hunger drain  like how it is now, but have it drain at the rate sanity drains currently.  Each transformation that isn't back to human woodie takes away 30  were points and your hunger  as human woodie shows how long you can be in the transformation. 

if we can some how bring back pine cones then you can also add a sanity penalty  back to keep the challenge of keeping creatures away. 

each creature would have its own drain rate to compensate what each transformation can do.  goose being the fastest standard drain; beaver being middle but can replenish the were meter; moose being the slowest drain but loses some tied to the damage he takes.

some of these are just ideas but i feel we can adjust them to make woodies gameplay with the transformations still challangeing for new players but capable to be mastered by veterans.

12 hours ago, Poebus said:

I kinda second this concept but woodie's transform is curse. 

and transforming seamlessly would make him overpowered because you could always return to human form to eat / heal sanity

and be right back to forms you want to use

mean you can basically do the same thing right now too just wait eat and then back to  transform mode  I am saying this so that way things can be more streamlined make the character less clunky and invite skill to playing him.

Well, that's the point, it's a 'curse'.This, 'curse' made that kind of strategy less viable so that it cannot be abuse in PvP specifically. Your idea just made his supposed 'curse' into some kind of a superpower(Like beastboy) . Our duty as Woodie is to turn that 'curse' into a blessing. Did you realize how OP if you can turn into a werebeaver without a price? Oh wait, cooldown is a good idea right?Yeah, that's not gonna work, because obviously Klei will set a long cooldown, probably around a minute or a half. Making your strategy, again not viable. I still respect your idea though.

On 9/16/2019 at 3:32 AM, EsaiXD said:

mean you can basically do the same thing right now too just wait eat and then back to  transform mode  I am saying this so that way things can be more streamlined make the character less clunky and invite skill to playing him.

Well, that's the point, it's a 'curse'.This, 'curse' made that kind of strategy less viable so that it cannot be abuse in PvP specifically. Your idea just made his supposed 'curse' into some kind of a superpower(Like beastboy) . Our duty as Woodie is to turn that 'curse' into a blessing. Did you realize how OP if you can turn into a werebeaver without a price? Oh wait, cooldown is a good idea right?Yeah, that's not gonna work, because obviously Klei will set a long cooldown, probably around a minute or a half. Making your strategy, again not viable. I still respect your idea though.Excuse me for posting twice, I wasn't aware of quoting.

47 minutes ago, Canis said:

Not only are yall necro'ing this thread, the Woodie rework has already been out for some time now so this thread is irrelevant.

Lock this please.

Mama mia. Let people discuss the broken rework. Woodie has practically no penalty anymore, let's not censor people's opinions.

4 hours ago, Canis said:

Not only are yall necro'ing this thread, the Woodie rework has already been out for some time now so this thread is irrelevant.

Lock this please.

I did not know a month count as a necroing.Also, I only wanted to find strategy with woodie's rework not imagining stuff about his future rework because his/her post has passed the rework, dude.

He's fine now, he's not overpowered, but he's not quite as balanced as Wilson. The only nitpick I have with him is that he has no downside in human form. But since his balance scale is somewhere around Wigfrid this is fine. His forms are useful in certain scenarios, but not too overpowered where his can solo dragonfly or something like that. The only questionable point is that he can tank deerclops to death. But this isn't a very valid point considering how easily Deerclops is mowed down by other monsters such as treeguards and tentacles. 

On 11/29/2019 at 6:22 AM, TheTruth said:

Well, that's the point, it's a 'curse'.This, 'curse' made that kind of strategy less viable so that it cannot be abuse in PvP specifically. Your idea just made his supposed 'curse' into some kind of a superpower(Like beastboy) . Our duty as Woodie is to turn that 'curse' into a blessing. Did you realize how OP if you can turn into a werebeaver without a price? Oh wait, cooldown is a good idea right?Yeah, that's not gonna work, because obviously Klei will set a long cooldown, probably around a minute or a half. Making your strategy, again not viable. I still respect your idea though.Excuse me for posting twice, I wasn't aware of quoting.

It's just what was based on what was shown in the trailer and besides transforming at will would have a penalty   I just didn't really think about it much 

My thoughts on penalty  for this would be that woodie would require the stats for it  so you can't transform with low stats  and have the duration of the transformation  to how much hunger you have after transforming  and each transformation  would cost a set amount of  hunger  and still drain as it does now   so that means you can't just stay one form forever you kind of need to refuel basically 

17 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

It's just what was based on what was shown in the trailer and besides transforming at will would have a penalty   I just didn't really think about it much 

My thoughts on penalty  for this would be that woodie would require the stats for it  so you can't transform with low stats  and have the duration of the transformation  to how much hunger you have after transforming  and each transformation  would cost a set amount of  hunger  and still drain as it does now   so that means you can't just stay one form forever you kind of need to refuel basically 

That is actually a good idea to be honest. Reminds of Ben10 a bit... Also, Wolfgang. Because he is now more food consuming and OP. Total PvP checkmate outright from the beggining. Sorry low health characters.(Excuse me for my overly-sarcastic jokes)

Archived