Wickerbottom mains beware! Woodie refresh thoughts

To all of us Wickerbottom mains that don't want character refresh to happen, even more so after seeing what happened to Woodie.

They have announced character refresh  for all the characters before they started introducing new ones, meaning even characters that are in a good spot will get character refresh at some point. Its an understatement to say that Wickerbottom is in a good spot, considering how good she is in almost every situation and any good player will dominate with her.

Sending all thoughts and prayers to Woodie mains, hopefully developers sleep for a bit and regain sanity and do some improvements to make Woodie AT LEAST somewhat useful.

I felt bad for all the Woodie mains having to go though years of painful experience, they were almost never a good pick, Maxwell outshined them in gathering wood, plus he was not limited to one resource but could gather almost anything.

I thought that maybe character refresh would make Woodie viable again, turns out i was wrong. 

Woodie players deserve more considering in what spot their character was left for years.

There are some delusional people saying that his transformations are strong, they aren't weak but sanity drain makes them obsolete, not even mentioning the hunger. Considering how much you pay to transform and can't even last in that form to make it worth the amount you paid because of the high sanity drain and you also won't be able to regain the so needed sanity like before considering they removed sanity gain for planting pine cones.

22 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Hmm. Well ofc the "Holy DST Trinity" will get nerfs. Will also get some more "gaming variety" (in Wicker's case maybe one more book or some minor adjacent effects to current ones), but you should clearly expect nerfs. C'est la vie!

I wouldn't mind seeing Wickerbottom nerfs as long as her books are left untouched unless they want to add more. Maybe add some more weaknesses to her.

Honestly i don't see them nerfing Wickerbottom too much, they don't really care about how strong a character is too much, they just want them all to feel unique and to keep their playerbase. If they cared about these characters being too strong, they'd have nerfed them much earlier.

Wickerbottom is strong because of two books, Applied Horticulture and On Tentacles.

Applied Horticulture is great because it allows some greaet farming, especially after you kill the bee queen, to keep it from spoiling. Food isn't a big problem but this is mostly why i like playing Wickerbottom, it allows me to not care about food much because i find collecting the same resources over and over boring, food managing gets boring after you have like 800 hours in DST.

on tentacles is mostly there to help you kill bee queen/dragon fly, waste to use it anywhere else. Don't get me wrong it is great because people require much more to kill bee queen solo without tentacles or Winona's catapults. Catapults take more to set up but they are permanent usage as they won't break, i still prefer tentacles because i can kill bee queen on day 3-4, i've never really tried rushing it that much though.

sleepytime stories can be useful, but literally isn't that special in most cases you can get pan flute/man drake and use deconstruction staff when it reaches 10%, pan flute has higher range. You shouldn't need to use this or pan flute often with tentacles anyways.

birds of the world really isn't anything special, allows for krampus farming but in most cases you won't care for it.

The end is nigh (really strong in this situation) is only useful for WX, it is a great book but honestly i don't play with people just to use this book, it rarely happens as i don't tell my friend to pick WX and i just let him choose what he wants.

You could say the books i don't consider essential/that useful are part of Wickerbottom and why she is so useful in many situations, even those books i rarely use i still love them and i love Wickerbottom because of all of her books.

Unless they gut her books, i don't think they can nerf her in any other way that is too impactful and they'll probably want to keep her books as they are with may some minor changes as players are already used to them and fell in love with her because of the current books.

8 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

on tentacles is mostly there to help you kill bee queen/dragon fly, waste to use it anywhere else.

You build two bunny hutches, build a fence around them, read one or two On Tentacles while standing in the middle. Every day there will be carrots and meat.

Or plant Spider eggs in a circle and read a bunch of On Tentacles in the middle for free silk and spider glands.

9 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

...unless they gut her books, i don't think they can nerf her in any other way that is too impactful...

One good and basic idea that's been flying around in the forums is to make her books more like Wes' balloons in the sense that you can't read them if you don't have the enough sanity to lose. This way she wouldn't be able to spam them without some sanity management or be more dependent on maxwrll for using them, increasing the cooperatice component. It's a small change but it eould help with the basic concept of her having the highest max sanity but having hard time managing it.

A harsher nerf would include her geting less benefits from sanity foods like Wortox's hunger bruise on top of no sanity no reading restriction

6 minutes ago, sinisterrkid said:

You build two bunny hutches, build a fence around them, read one or two On Tentacles while standing in the middle. Every day there will be carrots and meat.

Or plant Spider eggs in a circle and read a bunch of On Tentacles in the middle for free silk and spider glands.

I just use bunnymen to farm spiders, they leave monster meat on ground if you ever need it, plus silk and spider gland.

In most cases i don't need meat i just use beeboxes for honey and just focus on that, so i don't really need a bunnyman farm.

5 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

One good and basic idea that's been flying around in the forums is to make her books more like Wes' balloons in the sense that you can't read them if you don't have the enough sanity to lose. This way she wouldn't be able to spam them without some sanity management or be more dependent on maxwrll for using them, increasing the cooperatice component. It's a small change but it eould help with the basic concept of her having the highest max sanity but having hard time managing it.

A harsher nerf would include her geting less benefits from sanity foods like Wortox's hunger bruise on top of no sanity no reading restriction

That nerf would be fine if they lowered the amount needed to use a book. For  bee queen, you need like 6-7 books of on tentacles at the cheapest, i usually use like 10 just so they don't kill all tentacles by the time i kill them once, so it is easier to repeat. If you use less books, most tentacles are dead by the time you kill them.

To use 10 on tentacles books.. 33-55 sanity each time you read it, would be insane amount of sanity required to read 10 books, i understand that it is for killing endgame boss and it should be hard but it will only matter the first time. After that you'd just make a sanity farm with bee queen hat and wickerbottom will be as strong as before.

The sanity drain is like, the easiest part to deal with. I have yet to see anyone other than you complain about it. The drain has been considerably nerfed to the point where you can pretty much instantly regain it with two green mushrooms. Or, if you’re planning on taking a break from transformations, you could always wear a top hat.

Plus, lots of people like going insane. It might not be your favorite thing in the world, but it doesn’t mean people who disagree with you are “delusional.” 

12 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

The sanity drain is like, the easiest part to deal with. I have yet to see anyone other than you complain about it. The drain has been considerably nerfed to the point where you can pretty much instantly regain it with two green mushrooms. Or, if you’re planning on taking a break from transformations, you could always wear a top hat.

Plus, lots of people like going insane. It might not be your favorite thing in the world, but it doesn’t mean people who disagree with you are “delusional.” 

Problem is there is no situation where Woodie should transform and have benefit over his human form, considering all the penalties there are for  his transformation.

That's why i said people are delusional for trying to justify as if transformations are in a good place now. They all are great artwise but they need some number tweaks for players to consider using them and actually have a value in doing so.

EDIT: Just wanted to add,

There are countless ways to go insane, you usually don't want to go insane when you are in need of a transformation. It is not a benefit.

I as a Wickerbottom player am insane all the time, i even have a client mod that changes the way your screen looks when insane to normal as i don't want my screen gray most of the time.

Archived