How to genuinely boost your FPS - Making use of multi cores

5 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

Intel-Boost applies only for a few seconds in default mode, and thats it. You can change this, if your cooling can handle the higher TDP in BIOS (if possible on your board

Intel has a time limitation on boosting while AMD has a temperature limitation. This means if you have awesome cooling, AMD can boost forever.

Besides I have very poor experience with the default settings on my CPU (still Intel 4790k). The problem is that there is no power limit meaning it can use insane amounts of power while boosting, which has caused Factorio to crash when I set the speed very high (I think it was 64x or something). This is obviously not acceptable.

To avoid bursts of heat I set the power limit to 110 W. I came up with this number through trial and error while stress testing and it's highly system specific. Now that the speed is controlled by max heat production, I increased the base clock to match the boost clock. When it throttles due to power usage, it will be like a drop of 0.2 GHz and not a noticeable drop like thermal throttling drops. The result is a CPU, which no longer overheats and at the same time for most games it's faster because it can run at boost speed at all time.

12 hours ago, Chaoticlusts said:

Just gave process lasso a try and it's still not fully loading the cores (one is at 3ghz the others are 1.5ghz-2ghz) but I did manage to eek out about a 5%-10% increase in fps which certainly isn't nothing :).  If anyone is curious the setting the seemed to get me the best outcome was chucking every process on my system to one core (2 threads) and then letting ONI play with the remaining 5c10t, I tried restricting ONI to 1 thread per core but it seemed to do a teensy bit better with both threads.

Thats awesome, happy you got some results :)

Also glad you folks are having an Intel dialogue now, wasn't something I could tinker with as i'm all AMD here. 

There is something brought to my attention, i want to ask some of you guys to test please.

There is this guy in the bug forum, who´s observed a weird behavior with heat transfer disabling on conveyor rails, if he scrolls away from the screen diagonally, while Process Lasso is active. The problem vanishes without P.L. It makes no sense right now. 

So, could someone with P.L. currently active just make this little test?

Link to the bug report:

2 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

There is something brought to my attention, i want to ask some of you guys to test please.

There is this guy in the bug forum, who´s observed a weird behavior with heat transfer disabling on conveyor rails, if he scrolls away from the screen diagonally, while Process Lasso is active. The problem vanishes without P.L. It makes no sense right now. 

So, could someone with P.L. currently active just make this little test?

Link to the bug report:

I Edited my bug report for a 2nd time, the bug persists regardless, process lasso has nothing to do with it, this is on Klei's side.

I actually recommend using the program, it made a noticeable difference for me.

2 hours ago, Steve Raptor said:

I Edited my bug report for a 2nd time, the bug persists regardless, process lasso has nothing to do with it, this is on Klei's side.

I actually recommend using the program, it made a noticeable difference for me.

Thx, i wondered what this could cause the problem I had something in mind, but now you say, its not related, so all please forget about it ^^

Archived