I need art help on drawing a picture for a friend.

(Warning this post might be do long to read so bear with me please...)

Citizens of The Dont starve art forums I need your help! I am drawing a portrait of me and my friend playing Dont starve together return of them and I am stuck on design choices.

1.(doodle look with stick modules/ not finished)20190815_111523.thumb.jpg.938e468b374ee72c713028307593a676.jpg

So here's what the picture is supposed to look...

You know how in a scene where a character is standing in front of an creature and all you see is the lower half well my plan is to make it seem like that position on the lunar rocky beach, a horror hound just coming out of a body as wilson and willow looks in terror and shock (willow not finished cause I need friends skin of his willow) I dont know if this a good perspective for the concept so if anyone has any ideas go for it honestly

2.(hound design)

20190815_114613.thumb.jpg.e4d03a9c3ccf8aec239e1a3d6f41bf89.jpg

I tried a really long time to find a behind view of the horror hound and honestly just went  creative with it though, my main goal is to put the hound in a silhouette position where the hound is visibly in a threatening pose (like dogs normally do when there about to bark or growl at something you know pounce stance) and have that in front the camera, however if I can't  I will draw the silhouette of the horror hound coming  out the hounds body bursting out with fur everywhere.

However if I chose the bursting option then 

1. I will have to take out a massive chunk of the background detail

2.harder positioning.

3.more detail to the body

And vice versa?

1. It would be harder to draw

2. More time planning position and height in point of view

3. Deciding on where to place background and horror hound.

3.how the final copy looks.. so far.(not finished)20190815_111550.thumb.jpg.22aef282a8ea1a15efa6e4482781c2dd.jpg

so just to note I drew the final copy first before every other thing on here (I dont use models so this time was my first time doing it) so all I added was my Wilson (I really love the style and detail I went when drawing the glass cutter!) So let me know on any thoughts.

4. Just bonus on facial design for characters.20190815_111532.thumb.jpg.87b1bf595fcdd2d59266cda35cdccb09.jpg

so I thought of drawing a little extra so that way I know for sure what I'm going to sketch and make sure I dang well dont screw up and so far I think these actually represent the characters and there interaction in that situation so let me know if there is any more you guys think as well and if wants to talk about it I will probably respond every now and then and thank you for your time!

Edited by Superwolfkid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome! I can see that you're going about this in a very smart way, and your drawings look quite good so far. However, I don't think I 100% know what you're imagining in your head, so I quickly scribbled these two ideas.

hound1.thumb.png.2a7ea71342833c9c124af9dfb23f577c.png

I think your ideas would benefit if you exaggerated the size of the hound. Since it's closest to the "camera" as it were, it could justifiably take up most the image and make it feel really tense and threatening. Searching up dog poses on Google Images may help you find what you want in terms of a pose.

As for the silhouette, you can keep like 80% of the hound completely black, and just have details shown along the outer edges. This will hopefully make the hound seem more 3D.

Spoiler

These sort of illustrate what I'm trying to say.

sunset-dog-cat.jpg?ssl=1

BNCImageAPI_1e69e4d9-03f4-4021-b297-6ee7

Some warped perspective might make this idea more interesting. Don't worry too much about the specifics, just make the shoreline and horizon bend upwards a bit. This makes it look panoramic/like a fisheye lens, and gives your drawing the illusion of covering more area than it actually does.

Spoiler

500_F_272743349_JLCSdejctDZ5yGim94VekeQL

hound2.thumb.png.6c267dbca4b4fae530553f97a6987212.png

I think you could do some similar things with the bursting hound idea. You can still keep it 80% black if it's closer to the camera. You'll have to be careful that the pose reads correctly, but after that you can relax about the details.

Whatever you try, keep doing what you're doing and sketch it out first! Try a few more variations to find what you like. Good luck!

• Thanks 4

11 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Welcome! I can see that you're going about this in a very smart way, and your drawings look quite good so far. However, I don't think I 100% know what you're imagining in your head, so I quickly scribbled these two ideas.

I think your ideas would benefit if you exaggerated the size of the hound. Since it's closest to the "camera" as it were, it could justifiably take up most the image and make it feel really tense and threatening. Searching up dog poses on Google Images may help you find what you want in terms of a pose.

As for the silhouette, you can keep like 80% of the hound completely black, and just have details shown along the outer edges. This will hopefully make the hound seem more 3D.

Hide contents

sunset-dog-cat.jpg?ssl=1

Some warped perspective might make this idea more interesting. Don't worry too much about the specifics, just make the shoreline and horizon bend upwards a bit. This makes it look panoramic/like a fisheye lens, and gives your drawing the illusion of covering more area than it actually does.

Hide contents

I think you could do some similar things with the bursting hound idea. You can still keep it 80% black if it's closer to the camera. You'll have to be careful that the pose reads correctly, but after that you can relax about the details.

Whatever you try, keep doing what you're doing and sketch it out first! Try a few more variations to find what you like. Good luck!

This is excellent advice. Resette's second sketch is much more dynamic and interesting. I'd stay away from the very balanced layout in your first sketch - the one with equal size players on each side of Monster/dog.  Balance makes boring art. Exagerated poses and character reactions plus lack of simple triangular balance will greatly improve your portrait. Once you have the best start, I'm sure your drawing skills will make this an excellent piece.  Good Luck!

12 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Hide contents

sunset-dog-cat.jpg?ssl=1

Hide contents

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1