Suggest Gas Reservoir be better.

Its mid tier research, huge and costs a fair bit and takes a while to make and is currently not so good as a gas storage device, storing only 150kg which is better handled using a gas bottler. 15 bottles would fill a reservoir but take up a lot less space, one tile.

I wanted to use it to handle spare hydrogen from an electrolyser but its decidedly underwhelming as it fills up much too quickly and considering you could store the same gas using a pipework snake to fill an area 10x15 and could build behind most other buildings, inside tanks etc using plentiful raw minerals the reservoir is not viable.

I would have thought instead of 150kg it should handle more like 150t, i.e. 1000x more

Currently is ungratifying, pls fix  :)

Sounds like a good idea.

Actually I got my maths all wrong, the situation is even worse.

A 3x4 gas reservoir stores 150kg and a pipe section stores 25kg so the 12 squares the reservoir occupies can store 300kg = twice as much if pipe alone is used, which is bonkers.

Never building a gas reservoir again in stock if it stays like this as the in-out rules are just the same.

On 19/08/2019 at 3:10 PM, frogglebunwich said:

Sounds like a good idea.

Actually I got my maths all wrong, the situation is even worse.

A 3x4 gas reservoir stores 150kg and a pipe section stores 25kg so the 12 squares the reservoir occupies can store 300kg = twice as much if pipe alone is used, which is bonkers.

Never building a gas reservoir again in stock if it stays like this as the in-out rules are just the same.

Gas vents contain a max of 1 kg per section, which would be 15 kg in the 3x5 space of the gas reservoir.  That makes it ten times as efficient as vents.  Liquid pipes have 10x the capacity, but the liquid reservoir takes up only 3x2 space and contains 5 t.  That's 33x the capacity in 2/5 the space.  So matching the reservoir capacity to pipe efficiency we should expect a gas reservoir to contain 1.25 t, that's 1/10th the efficiency of a liquid one modified by the size difference.

It is worth noting that these tanks are of a a reasonable size if you're using them to buffer/store natural gas / hydrogen from a geyser or temporarily store CO2 from dupe breathing.  As the inputs and outputs are fairly small amounts of gas, it takes a long time to fill and empty them.  The moment you're trying to store something like steam for a rocket or industrial level outputs the reservoir's capacity starts looking really tiny.

6 hours ago, badgamer123 said:

i just need a smaller one...the big one is too small storage and too big in size.

Yeah making right amount of gas is horrible in oni. I use pipes to split to 1kg pockets and after either empty it and release to room either send to another reservoir. To prevent contamination use two bridges - deconstruction bridge ( just bridge so deconstruct from properties menu do not use tool as it will highlight pipe as well) will not reveal gas to colony 

2 hours ago, DarkMaster13 said:

Gas vents contain a max of 1 kg per section, which would be 15 kg in the 3x5 space of the gas reservoir. 

Actually 2kg, however it still has couple benefits over a room with normal vent (like not needing walls or power), so it acts as very decent buffer.

There is second vent with 20kg max pressure, it wins ~2 times over tanks in terms of capacity per tile, but you still can place tank in gas storage room and room still needs walls. And door pump wins over everything else (I have a nat gas room door-pumped from geo-vent with over 50kg of gas per tile and it keeps growing).

From my point of view current tank is fine as is. However I won't mind smaller version with smaller capacity and a 'full' signal). Or tanks' capacity being depended onto material.

P.S. There are ways to trick vents to get higher pressure, but  personally I find that to be too cheaty, at least door pumps work roughly like they would in real world (sans having pressure limit)

On 13.08.2019 at 1:52 AM, frogglebunwich said:

you could store the same gas using a pipework snake to fill an area 10x15

That's one huge snake) Not really practical, you can set up door pump with 'unlimited' storage in much smaller space. 

On 13.08.2019 at 1:52 AM, frogglebunwich said:

should handle more like 150t

Having such high capacity is not practical, it takes way too long to empty. 150t will take 40 in-game cycles to fill or empty.

On top of that, if you decide to move 150kg tank you will get an 'ear popping' area, if you decide to move 150t tank you whole base might get over pressurized. Not safe for new players and not easy to move in this regard.

2 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

Actually 2kg, however it still has couple benefits over a room with normal vent (like not needing walls or power), so it acts as very decent buffer.

There is second vent with 20kg max pressure, it wins ~2 times over tanks in terms of capacity per tile, but you still can place tank in gas storage room and room still needs walls. And door pump wins over everything else (I have a nat gas room door-pumped from geo-vent with over 50kg of gas per tile and it keeps growing).

From my point of view current tank is fine as is. However I won't mind smaller version with smaller capacity and a 'full' signal). Or tanks' capacity being depended onto material.

P.S. There are ways to trick vents to get higher pressure, but  personally I find that to be too cheaty, at least door pumps work roughly like they would in real world (sans having pressure limit)

That's one huge snake) Not really practical, you can set up door pump with 'unlimited' storage in much smaller space. 

Having such high capacity is not practical, it takes way too long to empty. 150t will take 40 in-game cycles to fill or empty.

On top of that, if you decide to move 150kg tank you will get an 'ear popping' area, if you decide to move 150t tank you whole base might get over pressurized. Not safe for new players and not easy to move in this regard.

I thought we were talking about the transport network, not venting the gas into a room.  If you're dumping gas into a room, things completely change since you now need a pump to get it back out and it has to be sealed off from the rest of your base somehow.  There's a lot of opportunities to abuse the game's rules for more space than you should have, even accidentally.  High pressure vents also requires access to late game tech and plastic, which still leaves a niche for gas reservoirs before you have access to them.

On 8/20/2019 at 2:25 PM, ONIfreak said:

There is one really good advantage of gas reservoirs which makes it worth all materials if used as buffer or infinite loops. It moves gas without power.

OK so the gas reservoir is intended for a purpose which is not really storing gas then, probably cooling and heating loops etc.

Fine, though it still needs something to store gas, high pressure containment or something and the best we have right now is pipe or emptying a bottler a few times a day.

7 minutes ago, frogglebunwich said:

OK so the gas reservoir is intended for a purpose which is not really storing gas then, probably cooling and heating loops etc.

It`s basically a pipe buffer. It does fine as that. For storing high amounts of gasses it`s not enaough though.

34 minutes ago, frogglebunwich said:

Fine, though it still needs something to store gas, high pressure containment or something and the best we have right now is pipe or emptying a bottler a few times a day.

Or water pressure exploit. But yes there is no good way to store vast amount of gases.

And about gas reservoirs i always put them on front of hydrogen or nat gas generator to prevent power cuts. 

Archived