The Legendary Leviathan.

Heyoo :kiwi:

Well this is the story, the other day i was playing Don't Starve Together thinking about "return of them" beta and why I stopped playing it and suddenly i had an idea, why not play it again to check if the thing that made me stop playing it in the first place is gone? but unfortunately it was still there...

20190726122055_1.thumb.jpg.b0bd68cdb6851c16e829ddb3f6cb3382.jpg

20190726122103_1.thumb.jpg.16c8b7f802c6fc1344264dec39e35d67.jpg

this really ruins the fun for me because this breaks the immersion of the game.:dispirited:

It is as if the game told you: you can not pass because this is just a video game and there is a magical and invisible barrier called the limit of the map that does not allow it.

I can understand why the map could not be left before and it was due to the ocean that we couldn't cross before, but right now we can use boats to cross the ocean so i think we need something to justify why we can't escape from the constant and it shouldn't be a simple "cause Disney Magic".

I know that this mechanic is still in beta and thats why this post is not about criticizing but rather suggesting.

And I know that all video game maps have their limitations and I do not try to change that I would just like some kind of illusion effect, to explain this first I have to tell you that this idea was taken from an old ps2 game that I had, therefore it is not an impossible idea to implement, well here goes my idea:

Make a gigantic monster that guards the borders of the map.

leviathan.thumb.jpeg.d33a46a46bae7d5420786a85e19e9c65.jpeg

Yeah I know it sounds like a bunch of work but let me explain how it would work:

The Leviathan is the powerful guardian of the Constant and he will not allow any character to escape the limits of that dimension.

When some character gets too close to the edges of the map the Leviathan will appear, he will stop the boat and start devouring it. This way you can create the illusion that the map is infinite and has no edges but you can't escape from the Constant due to the Leviathan.:D

References: If memory serves me correctly I remember seeing this kind of illusion in jak 3. In one part of the map there is an area that has sea and you can swim and try to go as far as you can from the map but reaching some point a huge tentacle will sink you, this is a type of mechanic that prevents the player from leaving the map, creating the illusion that the map is infinite but we cannot pass due to that creature.

Don't know if you've seen that cause it has been removed updates ago, but the world border will maybe waterfalls soons

(There was a moment when one of your map corner had 4 waterfalls, for tests i guess...) so it could make it at least better for the look, and maybe a gameplay mecanics ? who know.

Also, there's a new big mob that has been spoted in game file on the Warly Beta :

Spoiler

image0.thumb.gif.57bc70e31ab1e856e4a7e4e63883b461.gif

Judging by the look it must be ocean related... So maybe you will have something waiting for you here. :)

10 minutes ago, ADM said:

Don't know if you've seen that cause it has been removed updates ago, but the world border will maybe waterfalls soons

(There was a moment when one of your map corner had 4 waterfalls, for tests i guess...) so it could make it at least better for the look, and maybe a gameplay mecanics ? who know.

Also, there's a new big mob that has been spoted in game file on the Warly Beta :

Reveal hidden contents

image0.thumb.gif.57bc70e31ab1e856e4a7e4e63883b461.gif

Judging by the look it must be ocean related... So maybe you will have something waiting for you here. :)

Oh thanks for the info, the creature wall mechanic was just a suggestion, and i only want something that doesn't make me think it's obviously a video game so if klei is going to do something similar to hamlet lakes then fine for me.:D

1 hour ago, Ismael Marin said:

That ruins the illusion too.

According to the flat earthers, the real flat earth is surrounded by an impassable polar cap. If it doesn't break their real life world immersion, it could work on the game :D

I like OP's idea too, it would work sort of like charlie does, but instead of dying when you get in total darkness, you die when you reach the limits of the world. It doesnt have to have a magnificent animation, maybe a giant tentacle, or fishtail summons a huge wave that destroys your vessel.

If there is a monster ahead, you may want to defeat it, 

but...

when you reach the end of the map (the fog appears like in shipwrech), it pops up a message "immediate danger ahead, your monitor will shut off, and your computer will explode", that may stop you.

Archived