Dupes should not stand on tiles being dug.

Title. If a miner is digging a tile, dupes should not stand on it. In addition, miners should never stand on top of tiles they're digging. The only exception to this should be if there is no alternative way to dig it (tile floating midair with a dupe on it).

On 7/19/2019 at 9:14 PM, Iloveoxygen said:

It creates more lag since the computer does more calculations, and lag is a serious problem in this game especially late game 

actually, to determinate whether or not a dupe is standing on a tile being dug is very simple. it doesn't require massive amounts of calculations at all

3 hours ago, TG pro said:

actually, to determinate whether or not a dupe is standing on a tile being dug is very simple. it doesn't require massive amounts of calculations at all

But it does take some calculations (though I suspect it's mainly a memory latency issues). Then there is that other issue, which can be fixed without slowing dow the game too much and then another and another. Eventually all the addition of "not a massive amounts of calculations" sums up to people reporting having lost 10 FPS.

The simple calculation quickly becomes less simple. What if a dupe is standing on a tile and another dupe is digging that tile? Suddenly we can get a whole lot of different cases to check for just to "not stand on a tile while it is being dug out". On top of that all those cases means more work for programmers and testers. If they miss a case, then it's a bug report. Currently dupes fall or jump, meaning there are no falling cases to turn into bug reports.

Personally I think both CPU time and development time can be spend on something, which would benefit us more. After all in most cases this is a non-issue. In fact I can't think of any case where I'm bothered by the current behavior.

22 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

But it does take some calculations (though I suspect it's mainly a memory latency issues). Then there is that other issue, which can be fixed without slowing dow the game too much and then another and another. Eventually all the addition of "not a massive amounts of calculations" sums up to people reporting having lost 10 FPS.

The simple calculation quickly becomes less simple. What if a dupe is standing on a tile and another dupe is digging that tile? Suddenly we can get a whole lot of different cases to check for just to "not stand on a tile while it is being dug out". On top of that all those cases means more work for programmers and testers. If they miss a case, then it's a bug report. Currently dupes fall or jump, meaning there are no falling cases to turn into bug reports.

Personally I think both CPU time and development time can be spend on something, which would benefit us more. After all in most cases this is a non-issue. In fact I can't think of any case where I'm bothered by the current behavior.

just take the y position if a dupe. check if the tile in the y-1 position has an assigned digging, and tell the dupe to move.

repeat every frame

it won't lag the same reason snake doesn't lag when you eat an apple

1 hour ago, TG pro said:

just take the y position if a dupe. check if the tile in the y-1 position has an assigned digging, and tell the dupe to move.

repeat every frame

it won't lag the same reason snake doesn't lag when you eat an apple

Repeat for each duplicants. So at least 3 times, every tick. In late game, repeat it 10 times or more, each tick.

With all calculations like fluids, gases, heat and pathfinding ... well ... It could seriously lag this way. ;)

And you forgot to take care of sand or regolith. A duplicant don't have to check if the tile under him is being dug. ;)

18 hours ago, Gwido said:

Repeat for each duplicants. So at least 3 times, every tick. In late game, repeat it 10 times or more, each tick.

With all calculations like fluids, gases, heat and pathfinding ... well ... It could seriously lag this way. ;)

And you forgot to take care of sand or regolith. A duplicant don't have to check if the tile under him is being dug. ;)

this thread isn't about falling sand. that's a different problem.

as long as duplicant movement doesn't lag, this shouldn't lag either

Archived