Counterflow Heat Exchange Concept, Basics, and Demo

Understanding and using heat exchange is a vital skill after the early game. You are likely to first use the concept to cook oil into petroleum using very little power, eventually you'll use it to cook oil into natural gas, and if you get good at recognizing opportunities then you'll use little ones all over your base. There are a couple good threads about it in the forums and I made this video guide.

Great Video.  So many new (to me) techniques.  Can you run one with liquid pipes and conveyors? Maybe aluminum clay or glass as conveyor medium since they have high specific heats and melting points. It'll be weird because conveyor payloads act as debris for heat purposes but should outperform at least the gas counterflow.  

Edit: Maybe the best conveyor augment is a loop over the stairs allowing it to shorten?

47 minutes ago, hegemontree said:

Can you run one with liquid pipes and conveyors? 

Yes. This works extremely well. Use aluminum metal or diamond window tiles and run the liquid through aluminum radiant pipes. I don't think the conveyor rail material makes a difference but I haven't done any experiments so this is just a gut feeling. 

How effective is this? 20kg chunks of iron from a volcano go from 170C to 18C in 8 (probably less) tiles worth of rail through the tiles. 

So if you do the opposite and heat up the liquid, it'll heat the conveyor material fast and evenly. 

Should work the other way as well but I've not tested the effectiveness of using conveyor material to change liquid temps in pipes. 

17 hours ago, hegemontree said:

Great Video.  So many new (to me) techniques.  Can you run one with liquid pipes and conveyors? Maybe aluminum clay or glass as conveyor medium since they have high specific heats and melting points. It'll be weird because conveyor payloads act as debris for heat purposes but should outperform at least the gas counterflow.  

Edit: Maybe the best conveyor augment is a loop over the stairs allowing it to shorten?

It all works great with conveyors. Conveyors often need bigger exchanges than liquid/gas pipes because they carry 20kg/s and it takes longer to heat/cool that much. The new materials like aluminum are fabulous as long as you don't melt them. I'm working on a new video about melting regolith that uses heat exchange with conveyors, it's a deep dive into regolith melting but there's a ton of interesting information in it. @beowulf2010's advice is great.

would have been nice to show a comparison to when you do not use insulated between each tile for the first one.  I always just make it all metal tiles and have never benchmarked the advantage of the insulated isolation of each mini exchanger...

1 hour ago, chemie said:

I always just make it all metal tiles

When we do that, it will be averaging both. For example hot 100C, cold 0C, in same mass and SHC will result both 50C

Heat exchanger aims for cold become as close as possible to 100C, and hot become as close as possible to 0C. That is what OP call in his video 100% efficiency, which not going to happen 100%.

11 hours ago, abud said:

When we do that, it will be averaging both. For example hot 100C, cold 0C, in same mass and SHC will result both 50C

Heat exchanger aims for cold become as close as possible to 100C, and hot become as close as possible to 0C. That is what OP call in his video 100% efficiency, which not going to happen 100%.

A perfectly efficient heat exchanger where you want to get ideal, yes.

But another example is cooling of spom o2 for a base using a PW cooling loop on aquatuner.  this uses a bypass on the coolant so cooling is only on when needed based on o2 outlet temp. in this case  you do not need the cool side to equal hot side.  Here you just want cooling duty applied so you do not need the insulated tile isolation.

My point being different heat exchangers for different use cases

Archived