100% CPU, unplayable game

Hello,

So, I have update my windows 10 to the latest version (haven't updated for like 1-2 years). I have been playing 300+ cycles on different maps with no problem. But after update, I can't play anything.

First screen [Screenshot_1.png] is performance from Task Manager before playing game (only Steam runs).

Second screen (Screenshot_2.png) is same tab in Task Manager after starting game. But it is only main menu! I haven't yet started a map. When I do, then it loads for like minute and anything I press will trigger after 5 seconds... It's like playing with -5 FPS. What can cause this problem? I haven't found anyone on the internet with same problem so I made a topic here.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

This cannot be normal for main menu...

Screenshot_3.png

I haven't used Windows 10 in a while, but it looks like something is not working as intended.  To clarify: Are you talking about updating Windows 10 to the latest version or ONI to the latest?  Because there's been a few serious problems with Windows 10 updates recently, several of which could be a factor in your problem.

Im on windows 10 and having the same playability as always " a little slower because of some debug tools they put in previews" but super ok. " my pc cant handle late game all too well but for another reasons. I guess you can try to verify integrity of files " after backupong saved games". If this do not work i guess its your hardware going death pathways " or thermal paste died maybe?"

For me it was important to update the graphic drivers. With the old, many games had problems with the new windows 10 version. Use a driver version after the windows 10 release for your hardware. Update graphic and chipset, if available, and it should work again. :)

I've been running Windows 10 (consistently updated) with an FX-8320e for a couple of years and the only time I had that sort of single digit FPS issue was during a run with a runaway morb farm (I just left the outhouses to spawn for 200 cycles) and even that was (mostly) fixed by an update, it has to be drivers.

I can't remember any specifics but I seem to remember that there have been some updates that affected game performance until the GPU drivers caught up but nothing really affected me.

On second inspection, it is ABSOLUTELY your graphics driver because you have the game running and the GPU is at 0% utilisation, even paused and in the background the game should eat a few percent never none at all. The game must be using the software renderer and that is  what is eating all your CPU cycles. Those swirly gas effects are murder to render on a CPU. 

Right click on the task manager column headers and enable the "GPU" and "GPU engine" stats that should give you an idea what is happening.

Thanks for replies guys. I thought it was hardware too before, but after restoring an old Windows, it's working again. I always use latest version of ONI because of Steam, but it seems like I will stick in this version, until I upgrade my hardware or just completely reinstall windows. Seems like windows needs to be "reseted" sometimes.

No, we just told you that the problem isn't ONI or your hardware, It's the combination of "New" Windows 10 and "Old" Nvidia drivers.

The updated version of Windows 10 was not able to to talk to the video card through your old drivers and so told ONI you didn't have a video card at all so the game ran the best it could using the CPU to do all the things the video card is specifically made for.

You have to update all the drivers for your computer with the OS if you are only going to do it once in a while.

I know, but it's too late to try to install them. Also I saw a Nvidia driver running in the taskbar before, so I thought it's all updated.

I can't just do clean install because of all programs I use daily, it will take hours to configure everything like it should be.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:28 AM, DustFireSky said:

For me it was important to update the graphic drivers. With the old, many games had problems with the new windows 10 version. Use a driver version after the windows 10 release for your hardware. Update graphic and chipset, if available, and it should work again. :)

...I thought you were @Cairath for a second there. :wilson_curious:

Archived