Aluminium ore

I know we shouldn`t worry about the game being too realisitc but that one made me think a bit. Real life aluminium is 90% recycled metal since refining the ore is way more expensive than reusing scrap aluminium. But in ONI aluminum is like copper, easily refined in the rock crusher. First thing is that i didn`t expect it to get added but if it was i thought of it as a later tech metal, more advanced than iron somewhere around steel tech. Space shuttles were build out of aluminium beacause of it low weight.

This isn`t really bothering me as unrealistic but more as a missed opportunity of having another steel tier metal.

Well, the thing is that real-world Aluminum production uses a _lot_ of electricity. That is why so much gets recycled. I am also unsure whether a completely separate manufacturing chain would make sense.

18 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Real life aluminium is 90% recycled metal since refining the ore is way more expensive than reusing scrap aluminium.

That's because aluminium in nature is bauxite. Greatly simplified it's rusted aluminium where it is together with mainly oxygen and hydrogen. You can create pure aluminium by melting it at a high enough temperature, but heating it that much cost energy. Creating 1 kg of Al from "ore" takes the same amount of energy as recycling 5 kg. Iceland is a big producer of Al (relative to country size at least) because building geothermal and hydro powerplants there and the ship transport is cheaper than getting that amount of electricity from fossil fuels. Relative to the amount of electricity needed for the heating process, the ship transport is basically free.

8% of Earths crust consist of bauxite and we are not running out. The recycle is only due to energy and financial costs. From an environmental point of view, it's one of the places where recycling makes the most sense due to massive amount of energy needed in the process.

4 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

That's because aluminium in nature is bauxite. Greatly simplified it's rusted aluminium where it is together with mainly oxygen and hydrogen. You can create pure aluminium by melting it at a high enough temperature, but heating it that much cost energy. Creating 1 kg of Al from "ore" takes the same amount of energy as recycling 5 kg. Iceland is a big producer of Al (relative to country size at least) because building geothermal and hydro powerplants there and the ship transport is cheaper than getting that amount of electricity from fossil fuels. Relative to the amount of electricity needed for the heating process, the ship transport is basically free.

8% of Earths crust consist of bauxite and we are not running out. The recycle is only due to energy and financial costs. From an environmental point of view, it's one of the places where recycling makes the most sense due to massive amount of energy needed in the process.

damn why i would learn some IRL stuff in a game lol

10 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

You can create pure aluminium by melting it at a high enough temperature, but heating it that much cost energy.

As far as I understand the process, the melting is not the issue. You have to do electrolysis in addition, and that is where almost all the energy goes.

Historic tidbit: Before the melted electrolysis process was invented, they produced it chemically, with the result that prices were so high people wore the stuff as jewelry.

Mostly i thought about it not being refinable through the rock crusher but instead could be melted in the metal refinery (maybe requring something extra) and the resulting aluminium having some sort of better qualtiy like extra overheat temp and could be used similar to steel (at least for buildings that require metal ore).

31 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

real-world Aluminum production uses a _lot_ of electricity

On one hand i think also that it should be the same in oni, it should be possible changing a recipe, BUT is there a difference in application of aluminium yet? If not i would say just consider it one more random metal and the same as copper.

I hope it will be integrated more tightly.

5 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

As far as I understand the process, the melting is not the issue. You have to do electrolysis in addition, and that is where almost all the energy goes.

Reading that made me go "that makes a lot of sense" and I went to google the process. It looks like Al is first treated to get rid of impurities, but it then has an electrical imbalance, which makes the Al atoms stick together. To get them to become free atoms (hence usable), they have to be liquid and then high current flows through to move electrons around to bring each Al atom to become electrical stable.

However this doesn't change the fact that an extreme amount of electrical power is needed. It's also still a fact that the amount of power is so great that production is placed where power is available rather than where workers are available and transport costs doesn't really matter.

26 minutes ago, badgamer123 said:

damn why i would learn some IRL stuff in a game lol

Apparently I learn something too.

5 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

However this doesn't change the fact that an extreme amount of electrical power is needed. It's also still a fact that the amount of power is so great that production is placed where power is available rather than where workers are available and transport costs doesn't really matter.

And specifically, it has to be electricity. 

1 minute ago, metallichydra said:

why do we even have to go to school? if we stay home, we can learn much more by playing ONI.

but you do not learn how to properly interact with your peers, form connections, with other humans, resulting in cases of social anxiety quite easily

not that one becomes a social recluse anyway though because somebody will always get the short end of the stick, the environment merely dictates the percentage of people which ultimately become outcasts, voluntary or not so voluntary.

the more you know... the less you want to know, you are welcome~

Archived