how do you even encounter deerclops?

I see many players struggling on how to deal with the winter boss, but my problem is I can't encounter him al all. I had a pretty good arena set up around the swamp with some spiderdens and tentacles, I even heard the character warning me about the boss, but the next day came and he didn't even show his face to me, all I heard were his melee noises in the background and some loud footsteps, how do I actually get him to come to me?

You were in the swamp. He probably left to attack a Merm House.

Deerclops is specifically attracted to base-like structures. He doesn't despawn until spring so you should be fine finding him, but next time try sitting right outside of the swamp and placing a Sign to distract him instead.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

A good trick is to place some bait like a sign or a firepit. When deerclops spawns, he targets structures. If there aren't any nearby, he just kinda aimlessly wanders around.

This. Though I prefer to place a sign, which when destroyed drops one board again, so you don't lose any recources in case Deerclops breaks the lure.

Also you can write "Deerclops bait" on the sign to make it a bit more authentic.

17 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

A good trick is to place some bait like a sign or a firepit. When deerclops spawns, he targets structures. If there aren't any nearby, he just kinda aimlessly wanders around. Funnily enough, finding him can sometimes be tricky when that happens.

I tried a campfire and it did not work, would placing more structures increase the chances?

1 hour ago, Alexie12 said:

I tried a campfire and it did not work, would placing more structures increase the chances?

A campfire won't work. A firepit (the one that can be re-lit) will though. And more structures really shouldn't matter much. As long as there's at least one, he should agro on it.

My go-to is to build 3/4 signs in the swamp, and a few permanent fire pits. He will aggro onto structures when he spawns, so if there's none near you (or not enough, I think you need at least 3, not sure of the exact numbers but it's definitely more than 1), then he'll wander round in search of structures to break. It's quite important to kill the first deerclops so you can craft the eyebrella and make EZ mode spring and summer.

Edit - the reason I say swamp is so the tentacles can soften him up (or just outright kill him if you get the reed trap set piece.)

Archived