What determines what blow around in Strong Winds

pe5e

So this question is about as old as Shipwrecked itself and since Hamlet also has Strong Winds the question comes up again.

There really isnt an easy way to say which items blow in the wind. Some basic resources blow in the wind like twigs while others dont like gems, most craftable items dont blow in the wind while some do like Thermal Stones and the Luxuary Fan. It is all just very confusing. 

My guess is that there is a value assigned to each item that determines if it will blow in the wind and how strong (Twigs for example blow faster than logs), but since I never looked in the code and have no idea where to even look, I ask here if someone has any idea or could look into the files.

Creating a table for how Strong Winds affect certain items would certainly be quite helpfull.

43 minutes ago, pe5e said:

My guess is that there is a value assigned to each item that determines if it will blow in the wind and how strong (Twigs for example blow faster than logs), but since I never looked in the code and have no idea where to even look, I ask here if someone has any idea or could look into the files.

check prefab files in scripts/prefabs

like twigs.lua 

MakeBlowInHurricane(inst, TUNING.WINDBLOWN_SCALE_MIN.LIGHT, TUNING.WINDBLOWN_SCALE_MAX.LIGHT)

1 hour ago, Desblat said:

MakeBlowInHurricane(inst, TUNING.WINDBLOWN_SCALE_MIN.LIGHT, TUNING.WINDBLOWN_SCALE_MAX.LIGHT)

I cant seem to find this line in the twigs.lua or any other lua for that matter. I am in the prefabs section though?! Or did I misinterpreted your post?

9 hours ago, pe5e said:

I cant seem to find this line in the twigs.lua or any other lua for that matter. I am in the prefabs section though?! Or did I misinterpreted your post?

You're probably looking in the wrong place. You'll have to look in the folders "DLC0002" or higher, since strong winds aren't a feature pre-SW.

5 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

You're probably looking in the wrong place. You'll have to look in the folders "DLC0002" or higher, since strong winds aren't a feature pre-SW.

You were right I was looking in the wrong prefab section. Thanks to you two for the help.

I made a table on how all items and structures interact with Strong Winds here. I am slightly unsure about the the "lotus.lua" though. It seems to share code with Reeds but I am dont know if lotus plants can be harvasted by Strong Winds simular to Reeds. If someone knows the answer to that and if someone thinks something is missing or incorrect in the table, then let me know. I will most likely publishing this in a day or two and maybe even contribute it to the wiki.

4 hours ago, pe5e said:

You were right I was looking in the wrong prefab section. Thanks to you two for the help.

I made a table on how all items and structures interact with Strong Winds here.

Good job ! It would be good, if you add a column that says if the item will sink. That's very important for SW.

1 hour ago, Desblat said:

Good job ! It would be good, if you add a column that says if the item will sink. That's very important for SW.

Good idea! Did this. Interestingly, there are only a mere total of 8 items that both get blow around by Strong Winds AND sink in the ocean.

Archived