Peculiar- Sudden Frame Drop after only 'playing' for 10 minutes

Downloaded this game on Steam an hour ago. Started it up and was genuinely impressed at the fluid animations. I went to settings and adjusted the audio. I went to click 'new game' and... game crashed. Rebooted it, and now the frame rate is god-awful; about 10-15 FPS. I hadn't even created a world yet (i have one now but the frames get worse, around 5 FPS, and is unplayable). Any ideas on why this happened, and how to fix it?

I KNOW my laptop should be able to handle this; I play games like Subnautica and Fallout 4 often and they run great. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the game (didnt help), change affinity in task manager to CPU 1 (didnt help), and tried prioritizing it in task manager (didnt help). All my graphics drivers are up to date as well, this problem really has me stumped. The Steam discussion board sent me here to ask for help.

I cannot stress this enough-- I have ~20 logged minutes in the game and have done NOTHING but start a new world, and the lag began before then.

Sounds like some sort of magic, or not game related things.

Possibly you was struk by some virus at same moment, or your processor overheat ...

There are really no lag at the beginning of the game, even on very weak notebook. It may hiccup on world generation - this process is heavy, but after that there are no obvious cause for slow down

Did you test if your laptop still runs the other games fine?

There is absolutely no valid game-related reason your fps drops that low in menu or early game. Is there something else causing high load on your CPU? Dont bother with GPU, you dont even need a dedicated one for ONI. An iGPU can handle the game just fine.

You may try to delete your config at ~\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded. I dont think this file gets removed by reinstalling the game. If there is something strange...

You said you adjusted audio... Do you use an external usb-sound device on your laptop? 

It sounds to me like your CPU is getting hot and is thermal throttling. While this game might not heat your computer as much as some other games, this one produces almost all the heat in the CPU and nearly nothing in the GPU. This mean it's possible that your CPU is hotter than when you play other games even though your computer feels colder because what you usually feel is CPU+GPU.

I would measure the temperature of the CPU and also figure out if you can adjust the fan speed. If the framerate drop is gone if you use max fan speed, then what you need to do is to figure out where your perfect balance is between cooling and fan noise. Also make sure all ventilation holes in the computer have unblocked air flow.

If you can overclock, then maybe it will be in your best interest to underclock and make the CPU slower while you play. If you play with a 3 GHz CPU, which drops to 1 GHz while cooling, you might get more stable performance with a constant say 2.4 GHz, which then is cold enough to not drop speed to cool.

7 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

If you can overclock, then maybe it will be in your best interest to underclock and make the CPU slower while you play. If you play with a 3 GHz CPU, which drops to 1 GHz while cooling, you might get more stable performance with a constant say 2.4 GHz, which then is cold enough to not drop speed to cool.

The thing is that power consumption goes roughly with the square of the speed (for a given CPU). Hence 2.4GHz only generates about 60% of the heat, while giving you 80% of the speed. One of the reasons overclocking is not very smart.

7 hours ago, Mr.Trueba said:

Yes, maybe your PC are too hot. The game is just fine on low and high PCs, the common problem is in the late game, but that's because of the game structure.

Also because Intel sucks at real-time multi-threading. Gives you raw performance better than AMD (well, used to, ZEN 2 is pretty impressive), but a lot less smooth with high jitter and that is what annoys people. Humans are much more sensitive to irregular performance than to smooth, constant lag. The brain just filters out smooth lag up to around 100 ms on interactions. It cannot filter out uneven performance as it cannot predict that. I have to admit I never expected the difference to be this bad, but apparently it is. 

I am still perfectly happy with late-game on an old FX8350 at probably around 20 FPS. 

Archived