Mod Request: Functional Elevators

By the time we reach the surface we have Gravitas teasing us with forbidden technology. Why can't the Dupes have elevators, too?

Sure, we do get transit tubes, which is a step up from ladders... but they can take up so much space. I feel like elevators could help bring the game to the next (tech) level. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised Klei didn't release them as an actual feature, already.

57 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

How should elevators work in the game? Wouldn't they take up as much space as transit tubes?

Background buildings. I mean, if you look at the current ones in the Gravitas facility.. it's just two doors. There would, theoretically, be elevator shafts.. but those shouldn't affect building locations as those are usually built inside walls (i.e. background buildings).

The dupe enters one, the doors close, and then they exist the doors of another floor. I'm not sure how pathing would work, but I imagine it would be similar to how they enter and exit transit tube access.. or any other way to traverse floors.

The transit tube access is 3x2, where as the elevators are 2x3... Takes up less space on the floor, and you don't have to make extra room for transit like you do the tubes.

13 minutes ago, ScreenNameMissing said:

The transit tube access is 3x2, where as the elevators are 2x3... Takes up less space on the floor, and you don't have to make extra room for transit like you do the tubes.

:shock: We are playing on the same map size, right? I never had so little room that it would matter much if a single building is 3x2 or 2x2.

1 minute ago, Nightinggale said:

:shock: We are playing on the same map size, right? I never had so little room that it would matter much if a single building is 3x2 or 2x2.

It's more about the transit tubes that take up so much space, and you can't build anything else on top of them. It all adds up.

I´m with "SNM" here. (sorry Nightinggale, you know i like you ^^)

An elevator as background option would be nice. And yes the current base station for transit tubes is... not very good.

I like to build my whole system with 4 tiles high rooms. This does not work with transit tube bases. I really would like to have another system that fits in. 

23 minutes ago, Rainbowdesign said:

A mod adding a different type of transit tube as background building would be easy.

buildingDef.ObjectLayer = ObjectLayer.Building;
buildingDef.TileLayer = ObjectLayer.TravelTubeTile;

That's in TravelTubeConfig. I wonder what would happen if the object layer are moved away from the building layer. Other buildings would then check the building layer and go "it's empty. You can place the building here". I wonder if that is all it takes to implement transit tubes behind tiles and buildings. Also what will happen to savegames if this is modified? Most likely it would be best to add another building to make sure nothing bad happens to savegames. We can replace the travel tube in the building menu, effectively just replacing the tubes ingame while remaining backward compatible with savegames.

Will it work? Well there is one way to find out. Feel free to do this one because I'm busy with other modding at the moment.

There are just 3 possibilities, if you change the tubes to background:

1. nothing bad happens, but the tubes are in background, functioning normal

2. they work in background, but collide with drywalls and temp shifts.

3. the game will crash so hard, the black hole will not only eat the game, but also your computer.

1 hour ago, Nightinggale said:

buildingDef.ObjectLayer = ObjectLayer.Building;
buildingDef.TileLayer = ObjectLayer.TravelTubeTile;

That's in TravelTubeConfig. I wonder what would happen if the object layer are moved away from the building layer. Other buildings would then check the building layer and go "it's empty. You can place the building here". I wonder if that is all it takes to implement transit tubes behind tiles and buildings. Also what will happen to savegames if this is modified? Most likely it would be best to add another building to make sure nothing bad happens to savegames. We can replace the travel tube in the building menu, effectively just replacing the tubes ingame while remaining backward compatible with savegames.

Will it work? Well there is one way to find out. Feel free to do this one because I'm busy with other modding at the moment.

I would not change the original tube but instead make a new building ( which btw also would not be from plastic but from steel) going to do it when the testversion is released.

I hate the tubes because i find it too cumbersome to build, and need (a lot) of planning if they are to be integrated later.

A elevator,traveling only in the vertical (as all elevators do), with a virtual shaft in the background would be very nice - it can be implemented  almost as a "Teleporter", making dupes disapearing from a place and reapearing at another after some small distance-based delay.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:49 AM, fredhp said:

I hate the tubes because i find it too cumbersome to build, and need (a lot) of planning if they are to be integrated later.

A elevator,traveling only in the vertical (as all elevators do), with a virtual shaft in the background would be very nice - it can be implemented  almost as a "Teleporter", making dupes disapearing from a place and reapearing at another after some small distance-based delay.

Exactly! It would be so much easier to plan for!

Archived