Graves

• Developer

Nope! they don't.

Lots of things in the game don't actually. Take beefalo, for example. If you kill all of your beefalo, they go extinct. In fact, any beefalo you kill is one less beefalo in the world. This is kind of lame, but it let us get a lot of content into the game pretty quickly.

Generally we put things in quickly, and then work them into the systems over time. We're slowly going back and changing the ecology of the game to be more of an eco-system. I think this makes the game waaaaay more interesting, but it takes a while to get right.

...some day Soon there will be baby beefalos!

Nope! they don't.

Lots of things in the game don't actually. Take beefalo, for example. If you kill all of your beefalo, they go extinct. In fact, any beefalo you kill is one less beefalo in the world. This is kind of lame, but it let us get a lot of content into the game pretty quickly.

Generally we put things in quickly, and then work them into the systems over time. We're slowly going back and changing the ecology of the game to be more of an eco-system. I think this makes the game waaaaay more interesting, but it takes a while to get right.

...some day Soon there will be baby beefalos!

I await this day with great anticipation. Cute overload.

• Developer

I'm not sure exactly when they will be coming. Probably within a couple of updates, but things are always subject to change. :)

We don't tend to work in a completely linear fashion. We have art finished for a couple of monsters that are just waiting for the right time to be hooked up. I generally pick one for every two-week update cycle.

I wish I could share more of the pre-pro art with you guys, but I like to keep some element of surprise!

• Developer
Did Kevin just derail a thread?;) And I do like the element of surprise.

I don't derail thread. I bend them towards their correct course.

Hmm, LadyD. I've not heard of that happening before, but it would not surprise me. I'll look into in on Monday. It probably just means that I forgot to serialize the "I've been dug up" flag in the save file.

• Developer

I'm looking at the code, and I can't see how the graves would behave the way you guys are describing.

So, if I dig a grave, and then wait for a save, quit, and then load again, the grave stays dug.

If I dig a grave, quit before a save, and then load again, the grave is undug, but that makes sense, because I'm going back to a previous save.

What are you guys seeing?

I can only play the demo atm, but I had graves respawn just from waiting for several days, I didn't count, and it took a while, maybe 15 to 20? but they definately respawned.

In addition, there is a let's play on youtube about the game where you can see the guy playing dig out the same grave at least two times in two videos. he seems to save and reaload for every video he does (that does not end in him dieing), so it seems that both is possible, simply waiting for a long time, and/or reloading a game.

I might also add that in my last demo play, my graves did not respawn over a timeframe of about 25 days, so it is either something that fixed itself, or it is very randome, and not 100% repeatable.

I just did a quick test of this. Ran around and dug up a bunch of graves and marked them by leaving my grave item next to the grave. Then waited for a save, exited and reentered. When returning to the first two graves they were indeed undug, with a grave item next to them.

I can confirm that finding. Interestingly, I'm having some graves spawn without headstones. These graves stay dug if I save and reload, but graves with headstones spawn another grave item after a save and reload. I don't suppose screenshots would be of any help?