Save files where you die aren't immediately deleted right? How can I recover it?

4 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

this is what OP is asking...

5cd23b6be79ee_Screenshot(408).thumb.png.803ac8403f5e43fc25e84cbb695f6e5c.png

but when you die in DS your save file automatically changes the save file... that's what OP is about... it's not about random save files he deleted manually

I edited that screenshot out anyways, it was just to show your confused reaction.

Also you posted this about 1 minute after my post. Something tells me you watched about 30 seconds into it and stopped, you might not know the full context.

Just now, Hatano Eichero said:

I edited that screenshot out anyways, it was just to show your confused reaction.

Also you posted this about 1 minute after my post. Something tells me you watched about 30 seconds into it and stopped, you might not know the full context.

OP is the context... in that context he wants to recover his save file "postmortem"... that it's not possible... pls read back for full context

image.thumb.png.357db730147a8f5aec892974893f367f.png

Reading back, I saw what I was trying to give info on. I don't really know what you are saying to be honest though.

Basically, the point of me linking the video was to provide something to back up that 

That's not true. Deleted files stay on hard drive forever until overwritten by other files

1 minute ago, Hatano Eichero said:

image.thumb.png.357db730147a8f5aec892974893f367f.png

Reading back, I saw what I was trying to give info on. I don't really know what you are saying to be honest though.

Basically, the point of me linking the video was to provide something to back up that 

That's not true. Deleted files stay on hard drive forever until overwritten by other files

it's not about deleted files... it's about the game overwriting your save file when you die.... if you die in the game you cannot recover that world.. that's the context.. many other people pointed that already... 

8 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

it's not about deleted files... it's about the game overwriting your save file when you die.... if you die in the game you cannot recover that world.. that's the context.. many other people pointed that already... 

I'm starting to get you, though I doubt anyone here has actually checked if DS writes over the save file to make it unrecoverable, I also doubt that is even legally possible. Unless someone beats me to it, I think i'll check for myself if I am able to recover a save file. Should be fun.

4 minutes ago, Hatano Eichero said:

I'm starting to get you, though I doubt anyone here has actually checked if DS writes over the save file to make it unrecoverable, I also doubt that is even legally possible. Unless someone beats me to it, I think i'll check for myself if I am able to recover a save file. Should be fun.

I said exactly the same from the beginning...

btw.. I don't think it's possible to recover it postmortem... the game is permadeath and you can see the save file literally changing in size upon death

2 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I said exactly the same from the beginning...

btw.. I don't think it's possible to recover it postmortem... the game is permadeath and you can see the save file literally changing in size upon death

It's really tempting to keep arguing, but we really shouldn't. This is kind of just becoming a back and forth with no real point.

Yes, this is a cop-out. 

4 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I wanted to clarify: when you die in DS, game doesn't overwrite or change your save files, they are just deleted. You can recover them like any deleted file. I have done it once.

The way I understand it is the way DS deletes files is similar to how a user can delete a file manually and then purge the recycle bin. Even though you cannot see or use that file, it's still there and some specific programs can recover it.

Think of it this way - when you die, DS makes your save file invisible to you. That's what you see as deleted, but for your computer it's still there. You can use a special program to make it visible again. Unless you put something exactly where the invisible file sits, then it will be gone for good. Until then, not really.

So OP could make his "deleted" file visible again and useable in game.

When a computer 'deletes' something, it simply marks the space occupied by the data on the hard drive as empty. Actually removing the files entirely would take too much time and resources.
Assuming this space does not get overwritten by any other programs, the data can still exist, and is recoverable via certain software.

So yes, it would be possible to recover the lost save file (since as far as I am aware DS does not back up deleted saves) but, depending on how much time has passed since the deletion, the data may have since been overwritten.

Archived