Wagstaff Tips and Tricks

So after about 6 hours of playing Wagstaff I have managed to gather up a few tips that are valuable to anyone that wants to pick him up for a run.

Goggles Functionality:

There are 4 goggles, and here are their exact usage and purpose.

Spectoggles: Normal Goggles. Corrects nearsighted vision and very slowly drains durability (my guess is around 15-20 days per goggles)

Infroggles: Gives special nightvision, known as infared, which highlights most mobs on the screen. Lasts around 10 minutes.

Visor: A football helmet that corrects nearsighted vision. Has more durability than a football helmet (verification needed)

Fryfocals: Shoots out a ball of fire at the cost of 10% durability. Does at least more than 25 damage and sets target on fire. You need to be unarmed to use it.

And now, how to properly use them:

Spectoggles:

Spectoggles are the only goggles that can clearly distinguish and interact with peculiar objects, and skips the need to use a magnifying glass. There will be a giant question mark above the peculiar item, so there's no possible way for you to miss it. Also, the Spectoggles will show the locations of hidden monsters (ex: tentacles) with a skull symbol above where it's hiding.

Infroggles:

Get these as soon as you can. This will, for the most part, erase any need for a light source for the entire game, including early game. They're very easy to craft and last a good amount of time. Also, you can easily ward off nightmare hands at night by flicking these on for a second.

Visor:

The visor restricting your vision isn't as much as a drawback as it may originally seem, because it never gets in the way of of kiting, which is a strat that forces you to get up close and personal with targets anyway. However, you should avoid wearing this when not in combat, because of said vision restriction. Also, it has more durability than a football helmet and requires rocks, so treat it as you'd treat a wigfrid helmet, I guess.

Fryfocals:

While the thought of accidentally setting something on fire is scary enough to warrant not having these replace normal goggles entirely. That just isn't the case, at all. You need to be unarmed to shoot a fireball. Otherwise, it acts as normal goggles with no durability. If you don't mind the yellow hue that your vision takes when wearing these, you should definitely replace your go-to goggles with a pair of these as soon as you get a red gem. However, Fryfocals don't have the extra Spectoggles perks, such as seeing hidden monsters and being able to interact with peculiar objects. It might be best to use Spectoggles when adventuring through new areas.

(Edit: Also, these goggles, for the most part, get rid of the desaturation filter of insanity, so that's a big plus.)

tl;dr it's best to wear these around the base, because it saves durability on normal goggles.

Telipad / Telebrella Functionality:

Besides from his goggles, Wagstaff has more toys he can play with. Such as:
The Telebrella: When used, teleports Wagstaff to the nearest Telipad, if in range. (The range is like half an RoG map tho so don't worry.) Think of this as a personal Telelocator Staff. Uses about 10% durability per teleport.

The Telipad: A structure you can place on the ground. It works like a Telelocator Focus for the Telebrella.

How to properly use these too:

You should have a Telebrella on you at all times, because it's a 2-second animation away from teleporting away from danger, and/or saving time instead of walking. You should also not worry a lot about wasting durability. If you're like, a quarter of the map away from your base, go ahead and use it. The Telebrella is easy to craft, needing only a pretty parasol and a electric doodad. The parasol requires petals tho, so eeeeh….

Also, you should always have a Telipad at your base. Always.

The Thumper:

The Thumper is... weird. When you use it, it waits about a second before doing a ground pound, similar to Bearger and Bigfoot. I suppose you can use this for tree farming, I guess.

(Edit: While typing this post, I had the thought that the Thumper is probably more useful underground. I am willing to bet money that it causes an earthquake when used. I haven't personally tested this though.

Goggle Vision Screenshots:

Spoiler

Goggle-less:
image.thumb.png.02406ef116e4828b295f2c0b4bbbea62.png

Normal Goggles: (aka regular vision, same as other characters)

image.thumb.png.792bcf2388a6f2c5e73c45d69337ed2a.png

Infroggles: (aka infared)

image.thumb.png.21e45db471d56cfdf09e91e585e8a019.png

Visor:

image.thumb.png.3bacfe130092e5d94de51d53746be895.png

Fryfocals:

image.thumb.png.241cb77b754c4d27f325174ba77e85d5.png

Do you have tips of your own? Please share them!

From what I've tested:

• Fryfocals are a cool looking new ranged weapon, although they dont really deal much direct damage and have a short range: took me 3 blasts to kill a hound, since it has 10 uses only and costs a red gem this is probably not the best use. The main use I've been giving them are a fire staff replacement, setting mobs on fire when there are multiple threats at the same time, letting you deal with less enemies at the same time. EG: set Bishops on fire so they panic around, while you deal with another clockwork.

• Telebrella and telipad: I like the concept,  teleport to a specific location for a pretty cheap cost, and a great way to get out of trouble. If you make more than one you will always go to the nearest, so depending what you want to do with them is how many I'd place: If I want to use it to go to camp fast, I'd set a camp near the center of maps and place just one there. But this may leave you out of range at some maps spots. If I wanted to use it as a way to escape "ohcrap" situations, I'd lay a few around the map that go to safe minibases so you always have one in range to go and recover. I wish you could pick which one you go to if you have more than one at range though [EDIT:You can, check YiinHikari post below]. He takes damage over eating food without cooking, so wherever the telipad takes you, it would probably be wise to have at least a crock pot and a campfire near it to use quickly whenever he needs to.

• Infroggles let you have really cheap and durable moggles since the start of the game, the downside I see so far is that they don't let you see shadow creatures. Not sure if this is an oversight or intended. You must be extra careful or just not wear them if insane.

• The thumper is going to leave woodie out of job :p just plant a lot of trees in a circle area around the device and when they reach max growth, activate the device. You can have multiple if you calculate the range of each, to cover large forests, it costs no maintenance or fuel once it was placed. It deals 25 damage to mobs, and given how slow it is, its probably not great for killing most creatures, although maybe it could work to kill mobs with a tiny hp pool like birds or butterflies, havent tested yet.

Overall my experience so far found myself going around with several types of glasses and switching between them at need, and when severely injured, full inventory, or out of cooked food, teleporting back to camp. Not my kind of character but he definately includes cool concepts and gadgets to the game. I hope we get to see him on DST as well.

If you step on your telipad and activate the telebrella, you will jump to your other telipad. I personally was using one right on my camp and another when this first one lose range. And set up my teeth trap around it, so, when hounds come I teleport to this location. And if I am out of range of my base, I teleport to this one and then teleport again to my base. I hope my english in understandable because I haven't check it this time. 

The thumper is an absolute beast at tree farming. As you said, it's basically a buildable bearger smash. if you plant trees in a square around the thumper, with the length being 5 in each cardinal direction, you can instantly havest 100-200 wood in moments. easily the fastest wood farming method apart from Bearger itself, and even then, the consistancy and safety of the thumper may push it above the Bearger

4 minutes ago, YiinHikari said:

i like to use the infroggles to see the paths in winter, is pretty useful for that. And when I first went to the caves... wow, is like day time under there with the infroggles, I started to like them more after that.

Yeah, infared vision is borked atm. As much as I like seeing everything clear as day underground, that needs to be fixed.

On 23.04.2019 at 4:49 AM, Canis said:

Yeah, infared vision is borked atm. As much as I like seeing everything clear as day underground, that needs to be fixed.

I reported that bug long before but they didnt fixed it. I think they did what they want. I mean it is not a bug :D

Archived