strategy for getting silk(Winter update)

With the recent update spider dens have become a nightmare to take down(level 2~3 that is)So i made a threat with strategy's for farming silk safely.Items needed2~3 torchs3 or more pigssome armor if you want it2 level 2 spider dens or level 3 spider dens if your up for itMust be summerFirst wait until until dusk and equip your torch so the pigs don't get scared when the spiders start coming out kill them and help the pigs out don't let the pigs do all the work(DO NOT ATTACK THE DEN)The silk drop rate for normal spiders got buffed so if there are a lot of normal spiders you will get around 4 or 5 if your lucky.Pros:The nest does not get destoryed making this a way to farm silk safelyyou can re-hire pigs with the monster meatIf any of the pigs turn into werepigs you can kill them and get meat and pig skinCons:Were-pigs...The spiders will probaly eat the pig skinIf your torchs run out you become dead personIf you accidentaly attack the den your pigs will be wiped out and you could possibly die horribly.Other safe method(credit to tomily)Items needed few spare armors and a weapona couple of monster meatsand a camp fire and fuelMake the camp fire before dusk, by the border of the creep/webbing (If the nest is tier 1/2) and drop one monster meat between the fire and the den.The spider you leave the den and run for the meat. Before she eat it, you atack and kill.Wait for the next spider, and do this all night.If the nest is tier 2, even with multiple spider it's not hard. Their behavior did not change with this update.With tier 3 it might be a little bit harder, you need to kill them fast, and be sure to have spare armor.Pros:CheaperSaferCons:You might get overwhelmed.

Edited by Gigahappytown

Items needed2~3 torchs3 or more pigssome armor if you want it2 level 2 spider dens or level 3 spider dens if your up for itMust be summerFirst wait until until dusk and equip your torch so the pigs don't get scared when the spiders start coming out kill them and help the pigs out don't let the pigs do all the work(DO NOT ATTACK THE DEN)The silk drop rate for normal spiders got buffed so if there are a lot of normal spiders you will get around 4 or 5 if your lucky.Pros:The nest does not get destoryed making this a way to farm silk safelyyou can re-hire pigs with the monster meatIf any of the pigs turn into werepigs you can kill them and get meat and pig skinCons:Were-pigs...The spiders will probaly eat the pig skinIf your torchs run out you become dead personIf you accidentaly attack the den your pigs will be wiped out and you could possibly die horribly.

I am not saying that the strategy isn´t good, but did you know that there are more cons than pros?

You Don't need the pigs for that. Just camp near the den and kill the spider. Here's what I do.I make the camp fire before dusk, by the border of the creep/webbing (If the nest is tier 1/2) and drop one monster meat between the fire and the den.The spider you leave the den and run for the meat. Before she eat it, you atack and kill.Wait for the next spider, and do this all night.If the nest is tier 2, even with multiple spider it's not hard. Their behavior did not change with this update.With tier 3 it might be a little bit harder, you need to kill them fast, and be sure to have spare armor.

It seams as though they drop less silk now. I put a fire close to a couple of nests. I waited by my fire and killed 10 spiders but I only picked up 1 silk. Did they change the percentage of silk dropped? I think it would be more beneficial to let more spiders silk drop. Like a 7 to 3 split out of 10. 1 out of 10 is ludicrous. If you keep it the way it is then drop the requirements for the winter and summer vests.

It seams as though they drop less silk now. I put a fire close to a couple of nests. I waited by my fire and killed 10 spiders but I only picked up 1 silk. Did they change the percentage of silk dropped? I think it would be more beneficial to let more spiders silk drop. Like a 7 to 3 split out of 10. 1 out of 10 is ludicrous. If you keep it the way it is then drop the requirements for the winter and summer vests.

You were just unlucky. Camping by one spider den (tier 2) gives me an average of 5 silk/ night when it's summer, and 6 during winter.

I am about to discover if this still works after winter update.

Posted Image

Going to build a line of bee boxes to the right and lay a couple bee mines just in case a queen decides to go for a walk.

Bee boxes and mines can take care of anything:

Posted Image

And they do not eat meat =)