Liquid variant of the Canister Filler

Late game it can be rather annoying to get water canisters for research or the water cooler because water tends to be pumped around your base in pipes. Rather than having a liquid vent into pitcher pump setup, it would be nice if dupes could take the water out of the pipes using a building similar to the Canister Filler, but for liquids. Alternatively you could make it so water is piped into the research station directly (with the option of feeding it by hand, a la crops) and add a fancier water cooler that is piped (like how there's a wash basin and a sink).

The only issue with this idea is that for this to be useful, it would have to somehow be more efficient than the pitcher pump.  Pitcher pumps can fill bottles with hundreds of kg of water per second with minimal pumping time, whereas something that is piped is limited to 10 kg/s.  The way I would approach this is by having it stockpile a very large amount of water (~2000-4000 kg) and let them take partial bottles.  That way, people will always be able to get a water bottle from it without having to wait unless you need a ridiculous amount of water.

I do think some buildings should have plumbed versions, like water coolers.

On 4/15/2019 at 5:06 PM, Zarquan said:

The only issue with this idea is that for this to be useful, it would have to somehow be more efficient than the pitcher pump.  Pitcher pumps can fill bottles with hundreds of kg of water per second with minimal pumping time, whereas something that is piped is limited to 10 kg/s.  The way I would approach this is by having it stockpile a very large amount of water (~2000-4000 kg) and let them take partial bottles.  That way, people will always be able to get a water bottle from it without having to wait unless you need a ridiculous amount of water.

I do think some buildings should have plumbed versions, like water coolers.

I don't know that it needs to be more efficient per say, it just needs to be balanced.  So you are replacing large amounts of water with convenience.  You can pipe it anywhere and even though the amount may be smaller you gain quicker hikes to it's usage.  

That being said, I like your idea.  For balance, you could slow the dupe down while carrying the larger container.  So you get location convenience and large amounts of water but sacrifice pipes, power, and dupe speed.  

On 16.04.2019 at 12:06 AM, Zarquan said:

The canister filler has an internal storage as well. The storage for the liquid building should hold about double the amount a dupe can carry. Most of the time you don`t need more anyway. It should be basically a bottle dispenser. The size being 2x2 will still save a lot of space compared to the pitcher pump setups, especially for non-water liquids that need an extra shutoff valve to prevent overfilling.

Petrol is the thing that springs to mind more than water. Imagine for a second using a hand pump in the room full of open, uncovered petrol. The smell of fumes would be over powering and the danger would be crazy. The relatively small amounts required to make super coolant makes the above concerns about the limited flow rate less important in this case.

Archived