Easier way to transport water

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or just kind of lazy. I'm finding that it's very difficult to find an efficient way to transport water, mostly to things like algae terrariums and microbe mushers. For background, I haven't really looked at many forums about this game so most of my strategies are from my own trial and error. I haven't managed to get past about cycle 100 without everyone dying (usually from starvation). My general setup is having two big reservoirs near the bottom of my main base- one for polluted water and one for clean water. Got the water sieves and pumps for the bathrooms and all that. But my dupicants still have to go to the clean water reservoir and use the pumps to get water for the stuff that doesn't use pipe inputs, which is sometimes all the way across the base. Is there an easier way of doing this? Maybe we can get taps or something in the future so we can pipe water anywhere in the base?

Current situation ist: for every building using bottled water, like the microbe musher, they have to travel to a pitcher pumpt. There is no workaround at all. All you can do, is to place a small pond near the building using water, put a pitcher pump in it, and feed it with a water-pump. You can prevent flooding your base with automation (pipe shutoff and water-pressure-sensor).

We all hope for a tap or something...

3 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

Current situation *ist*: for every building using bottled water, like the microbe musher, they have to travel to a pitcher pumpt. There is no workaround at all. All you can do, is to place a small pond near the building using water, put a pitcher pump in it, and feed it with a water-pump. You can prevent flooding your base with automation (pipe shutoff and water-pressure-sensor).

We all hope for a tap or something...

Ah i see. An other germanspeaker tricked by bis autocorect :) Autokorektur ist wundervoll XD !

They could just make the sink give the dupes bottles .

Algae terrariums can actually consume water from the ground (it`s the only building that can do that). Try making a liquid vent above the terrariums with a valve to set the right amount of water. Dupes won`t have to deliver water manually but they will still need to deliver algae and empty the polluted water created. They will also get the soggy feet debuff from walking in water.

For other buildiungs without an input you could place a small pool, just big enough to fit a pitcher pump and a liquid vent closer to those buildings and pump the water there. When the vent is fully covered in water it won`t let anymore through so it won`t overfill if the vent is one tile below the top of the tank (just remember other liquids might overfill in this scenario).

On 15/03/2019 at 3:32 PM, Sasza22 said:

Try making a liquid vent above the terrariums with a valve to set the right amount of water. Dupes won`t have to deliver water manually but they will still need to deliver algae and empty the polluted water created. They will also get the soggy feet debuff from walking in water.

For the terrariums, I use this design for now (not perfect but do the job). The dupes can pass through the room without having soggy feet using the ladders. But as @Sasza22 mentioned, they do need to deliver algae (they can do it without wetting their socks) and empty it (when they do it, they have to go in the water).

image.thumb.png.9467dbf200ca12d6f2f6af9cdd10bd02.png image.thumb.png.0da6d93de369ceef6f8727425fd58af2.png

I do agree with the need of a tap to plug in a pipe to be able to get water bottles from a pipe instead of a pool!

5 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

leave some room for a hydro sensor

Don't really need it. the vent will overpressure itself.

image.thumb.png.bc72f8bcdcd7ab788daff085bac67c2a.png

11 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

Don't really need it. the vent will overpressure itself.

good point

my design has the vent above the pitcher pump and is automated with a sensor

but yours is much simpler 

Too bad we can't use your design for petroleum :p

39 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Too bad we can't use your design for petroleum

I never made that connection. This only works with fluids that max out at 1000Kg per tile which is only h2o and pw I think. TIL.

16 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

I never made that connection. This only works with fluids that max out at 1000Kg per tile which is only h2o and pw I think. TIL.

not like there is much need for bottled oil or petroleum.  I think jet suits are the only thing that needs them

only reason I bottle them is to make airlocks in locations that could risk freezing or boiling the water lock 

Archived