I actually starved! (Gormans feed back thread)

No they doubled the sanity meter for every character.

Ouch, what? Why?Okay, maybe I can understand the logic behind that, wanting sanity to be a non issue for early game, and a real issue late game.But I think they need to decrease the methods/effectiveness of regaining it in order to make this work. Or by the least, make you the player work to keep on top of it, like we work to gather food.Like the previous idea Scottiths mentioned, perhaps sleep should be one of the only ways to regain sanity, or at least to regain good amounts of it. Perhaps reduce flower picking, and "all foods" to restore only one apiece?I also just thought, perhaps, having wooden floor and walls around you should make you feel more civilized, and not increase your sanity meter, but rather help negate its drop while your around them! As everyone knows right now they don't really have a use yet, and that kind of makes sense.Speaking of sanity, you know what would be neat? Place able torches on walls, stone walls only for obvious reasons. Let us light up our makeshift house to feel more at home.

I like RedDeBlu's Idea of placeable torches and sanity saving floors (not giving sanity, just preventing its decay). This would make it good for the player to spend the night at their camp where they can continue to craft etc. I also like the torch Idea because I like making my base look as much like a house as possible and putting fire pits everywhere looks kind of silly to me :pThey should still need fuel, but they should sit on stone walls.

I would imagine in order for this do work we need:

-Ability to light them when we want (Tinderbox of some sort).

-Ability to extinguish them.

-Some sort of meter for them to show when they are going out.

-Extended life (Perhaps a new torch using Charcoal in the recipe).

I've been getting used to the game, didn't play much before winter update. So far I've been adventuring and jumping worlds when I run out of food in winter. Finally got to a winter hat which let me stretch that out a bit.I never sleep, and I've never dropped below half sanity. Haven't passed 20 days in one world since winter got added.Carrots (almost alone) are my main food source. I don't believe I've exhausted them in a world yet. Grab 10, cook (grab more and refrigerate if appl), eat as needed, repeat as necessary. If I end up killing a beefalo or find the koalefant, I'll have meaty stew, but still carrots seem way too useful at first glance.Farms seems useless in winter. Early I can boomerang a few birds. If I have enough material saved up I can trap rabbits all day, I suppose. I guess I have to do more hunting? Except then I'm racing freezing. We'll see.Current goal which I'm close to: having enough paper/twigs (and research unlocked) to where I feel comfy, and start spending my days insane.

Edited by tyroney

I would imagine in order for this do work we need:

-Ability to light them when we want (Tinderbox of some sort).

I think this could be as simple as current camp fires, add fuel, wait til they go out.

-Ability to extinguish them.

Ha ha ha, you crazy man? Why would anyone want to do that? :biggrin-new:

-Some sort of meter for them to show when they are going out.

I'm not really sure of the point of this, but if needed, it could have the whole "big fire, small fire" change that camp fires do.

-Extended life (Perhaps a new torch using Charcoal in the recipe).

Okay a new specific wall torch recipient using charcoal does sound like a good idea. And I'll hate myself for saying this, but perhaps it should use silk too? Like wrapping a stick in silk to make a more, permanent torch as opposed to simply lighting a stick on fire like current torches.

Besides that, I'm not sure extended life is necessary, a single torch almost nearly last the entire night as is, and if you could add fuel to it then its life expectancy is simply equal to the fuel your willing to burn.

Edit Thinking: Actually, a sort of flint and tinder for lighting wall torches would be interesting item to have. Especially if it could be used to set fires pretty much anywhere or on anything you want. Though yet standard torches already do this.

Edited by RedDeBlu

Bumping my old thread up, going to start a new survival game as Wes with the following settings. Less food, less resources, more rain, more lightning, short seasons.Will post any balance issues, bugs, experiences or complaints as before.

Bumping my old thread up, going to start a new survival game as Wes with the following settings. Less food, less resources, more rain, more lightning, short seasons.Will post any balance issues, bugs, experiences or complaints as before.

Truly hardcore aren't you? Im glad you bumped the thread. I'd like to hear your thoughts about the game again.

So ... does this mean you'll stop bashing the customization options or...?

So ... does this mean you'll stop bashing the customization options or...?

Why would I?Anyway, going to hold off on making a new world until after the update, but I found some issues while goofing around.With these settings I have had three worlds that did not have wormholes.Spider glands are a big no, at least as long as you can still stun lock spiders its just free healing, tall birds are free meat because they can be stun locked, nothing should be able to be stun locked or they aren't threatening at all, just free resources.In the menu before you start the game, if you mess with the sliders, exit that menu then go back in, it resets every slider to default. This isn't at all obvious, so if a player decides last minute to go back in and change another slider, all the rest will have been reset to default without the player knowing.

Spider glands are a big no, at least as long as you can still stun lock spiders its just free healing, tall birds are free meat because they can be stun locked, nothing should be able to be stun locked or they aren't threatening at all, just free resources.

So ... you want to encourage skillful kiting, then? Because if they don't stun, only means that they can strike at anytime and that could lead to some nasty unnecessary deaths.

In the menu before you start the game, if you mess with the sliders, exit that menu then go back in, it resets every slider to default. This isn't at all obvious, so if a player decides last minute to go back in and change another slider, all the rest will have been reset to default without the player knowing.

Right, meant to say bash a lil less, but these are some good points. But hey; Beta is beta. Especially now with only two more weeks before the official release, things might get a lil hectic and the people in the office might pan this fix out for some other more important priorities.

So ... you want to encourage skillful kiting, then? Because if they don't stun, only means that they can strike at anytime and that could lead to some nasty unnecessary deaths.

Kevin himself has stated don't starve is not an action game, combat is supposed to be a him or me situation, there is nothing dangerous or even interesting about being able to punch creatures to death with your fists by mashing the left mouse button, anything that can be killed this way is hardly even a creature, just a resource node that walks around.I really wish people would stop saying *its a beta* when people point out issues, its because its beta we so adamantly point these things out, were beta testers, we are supposed to this. Even when the game launches we should still do this to help Klei address ongoing issues.

Kevin himself has stated don't starve is not an action game, combat is supposed to be a him or me situation, there is nothing dangerous or even interesting about being able to punch creatures to death with your fists by mashing the left mouse button, anything that can be killed this way is hardly even a creature, just a resource node that walks around.

I don't know about this 'stun lock', but almost every one of my many deaths have come from trying to kill something.

I don't know about this 'stun lock', but almost every one of my many deaths have come from trying to kill something.

Sorry, basically on some enemies such as the normal spider or tall bird if you keep mashing the attack button, the enemies will not be able to move or attack, it will just get hit until it dies with no way to do anything about it. You cant do it to most of the creatures in the game and trying will get you smited, but its pretty game breaking toward normal spiders and tall birds.

Sorry, basically on some enemies such as the normal spider or tall bird if you keep mashing the attack button, the enemies will not be able to move or attack, it will just get hit until it dies with no way to do anything about it. You cant do it to most of the creatures in the game and trying will get you smited, but its pretty game breaking toward normal spiders and tall birds.

It's been my experience that this isn't so easy when spiders always come in packs with half of them jumping at you. I bring these things up because I think the average player isn't going to have the cake walk you think he might.