Dumping heat into oil/petroleum

I've been trying to contruct a system where I use oil for my metal refinery coolant, looping to store as much heat as possible before sending to my oil refinery. Then I want to dump as much heat as posible into that before sending to the gen. The whole concept has my brain pickeled and was hoping someone doing something similar might be able to share a design.

Thanks.

The easiest way to do it is to not make a loop. Instead, have multiple metal refineries in serial, so that the coolant flows into each one from  the output of the other.

If you know your intake crude is 90C from the oil biome, steel will raise the temps by 138, so you can send it though two refineries safely before refining.

Same logic applies to petrol. I forgot what temperature the default oil refinery output at, but it should be about three trips. 40 degree Pwater can handle 2 iron loads or 1 steel load.

Extra refineries just cost some ceramic for the pipes, so this is one of those times where simplicity beats complicated solutions, especially if it is survival and every mistake will spew sour gas everywhere. Once you get some steel, you can dump the setup for a proper one based around steam turbines where the turbines will delete more heat then the refinery can ever hope to match.

2 hours ago, Stoof said:

I've been trying to contruct a system where I use oil for my metal refinery coolant, looping to store as much heat as possible before sending to my oil refinery. Then I want to dump as much heat as posible into that before sending to the gen. The whole concept has my brain pickeled and was hoping someone doing something similar might be able to share a design.

Thanks.

I use a liquid loop with a reservoir for my refineries.

What I do is as follows:

Start with a liquid reservoir, have that go into the refinery. Out of the refinery check the temperature, if under the max crude/petro can be to not phase change in the refinery, send it to the reservoir through the shut off valve. Any coolant seen as too hot or if you get a power failure on the shut off gets sent to storage/petroleum refinery. Lastly, the "cold" coolant input is placed between the shutoff valve and the reservoir's input using a bridge to give used warmer coolant priority. 

Note 1: Build your metal refinery out of ceramic or it will overheat and break. 

Note 2: It's useful to put a wheezewort directly between the reservoir and refinery. If you can get hydrogen or natural gas in the room, great. But even crap like carbon dioxide will work. 

Note 3: I feel this works better than the serial refineries because the reservoir averages out the coolant temperature allowing you to more consistently get maxing heat into it. Yes, it bleeds heat a bit from the reservoir, but putting it on insulated tiles minimizes this. 

13 hours ago, Stoof said:

I've been trying to contruct a system where I use oil for my metal refinery coolant, looping to store as much heat as possible before sending to my oil refinery. Then I want to dump as much heat as posible into that before sending to the gen.

This video does not cover looping the oil but does cover the rest of your plan and refinement. One of the later videos in the playlists covers looping the petroleum. It's after the petroleum boiler video.

Spoiler

I like the idea of forming a cooling loops.  Problems I've encountered are strange packet behaviour with the liquid shut off valves, having to use bridges in and out of the loop seems to correct but is a bit messy.

The biggest problem I've found is pushing enough coolant through the oil loop to ensure the petroleum loops is supplied with fresh coolant while not having everything back up from the gen while not wasting power.

Maybe I'm setting the bar too high on this build.

17 hours ago, Stoof said:

Thanks.

I playing with liquid oxygen and H2 with a single aque toner...and it fire up my brain.......(too cool freeze up ,or break pipe etc)

I figure if you don't mind building 1 more metal refinery....it would much much more simple...
just put 1 metal refinery b4 and after the oil refinery and a temp pipe shutoff setup to recycle those coolant without mixing oil and pet...sure easy to setup up compare to mixing them.....btw consider boil the oil to pet (it so much more power you will not have to worry about wasting fuel....)I actually have a space aque toner cooling down generator non-stop after i get the oil boil to pet setup completed

Clipboard02.thumb.jpg.bd4e8257e61f3ecb65a037b48e3be026.jpg

- 'Cold' crude oil enters from the right through 3 liquid bridges and goes in the metal refinery (on the picture marked as OIL ).

- Hot oil comes out and the liquid pipe element sensor is set active to Crude Oil (with a NOT gate). It means if crude oil is detected then the metal refinery is briefly shut down until the pipe is empty and the metal refinery has enough liquid again. 

- Next comes the liquid pipe thermo sensor to check if the coolant is not to hot. For steel I put BELOW 315C, then the oil goes back in the refinery (through the shutoff valve) except for 1 packet (its the lost packet from the refinery to the liquid pipe sensor).

- When the oil hits over 315C it goes up and to the right  to another liquid pipe thermo sensor with shutoff valve. This one is to find the 'lost' packet and will send it back to the refinery (on the picture marked as HOT OIL <315).

If you want to sqeeeze out more cooling you sent the +315C oil to the next refinery for making iron, set the liquid pipe thermo sensor at below 350C, oil +350C goes to the next refinery for Tungsten, then Copper and finally gold set at below 385C.  Use reservoirs to buffer where needed.  Shutoff valves can overheat so use steel asap.

The Oil Refinery gives 'cold' petroleum that you can use in another set of Metal Refineries before sending to your rockets and polymer presses.

The best way I've found to manage this is running 2 refineries in serial for crude oil, and 2 for petroleum.  If you make Iron with the crude oil, and Steel with the petroleum, you get an almost perfect temperature to mix them in a boiler, and then add cool crude oil which cools the mix so you can pump it, and also gives you oil and petroleum at almost perfect temperatures to start the process again.

I generally mix 4kg/s of hot crude with 1kg/s of hot petroleum, and then cool with 4kg/s of cool crude, which produces 4kg/s of crude and 5kg/s of petroleum at around 240 degrees, which you can feed back into your refineries. Overall, the effect is that you turn 4kg/s of crude pumped in from the oil biome into 4kg/s of (hot) petroleum, which you can feed into a generator.  It also means you can do away with oil refineries, which are a pain to have to deal with.

What I've found great about this system is it requires no advanced materials (and only needs 400 steel for your pump), so I can usually get it up and running around cycle 40 or a little before. It's fiddly, and depending on the temp of your crude oil, you have to make slight adjustments to the flow control.  However, for speeding into early rocketry, I don't think there's a better method.

a bit off topic here,actually how everyone seem to have that many thing for refineries?
maybe my lime production is too slow,I always let the metal refinery afk only turn on making steel every 3-4 cycle (300 to 500 kg steel)
most of the petroleum gone to generator without heating up too much.
I end up let the metal refinery take a overflow pipe and send back the used coolant (around 200 degree) to generator.

First thing I do is set up an iron refinery and set to run forever with it shut off by a smart storage set to 5000kg. 

Then, down the road, I build a second floor to my refinery complex for lime and refined carbon production, again, forever production controlled by smart storage. 

Lastly, I build a third floor for steel almost identical to the iron floor with the smart storage in the 2000kg range. 

Product is moved between floors by autosweepers and conveyor lines. 

As for the coolant, the heated crude gets stored until I build an oil boiler as I have no interest in loosing 50% on the oil refineries, skip petroleum generators, and just condense sour gas to natural gas. 

Archived