Mini reservoir

So we have the gas & liquid reservoirs.

Sometimes I find myself wishing we had smaller versions of both of them just for the purpose of buffering a small amount of liquid or gas. It's something I already do with lengths of insulated pipes.

Here's an example. I want to limit heat waste in long sections of pipe filled with cooling liquid, so I make sure my cooling supply lines don't just sit full all day and night. Instead deliver just enough coolant to meet demand.

image.thumb.png.bbb13e41d5d9cb50bb81e66be9c39846.png

Notice that the supply header is only full up to a liquid sensor (this is a happy coincidence, it can be full a bit beyond the sensor, it can be less full, just not empty)

image.png.02d0cb220e4ae7869af2263c8b0848a0.png

Automation. We pump for 5 seconds out of every 30 seconds but only if that pipe sensor says the pipe is empty.

image.png.fba88193174751391b0851792be5a5bd.png

So, instead of building a 20-long extra section of pipes, I would benefit from a smaller version of the reservoir. It only needs to store around 200 kg, and it might benefit from having a slider to set how much to store. It could be a 2-tile building mounted straight onto the pipes.

They store enough. For example the liquid one. It stores 5 tons. And it uses 2x3 tiles of space. So it "wastes" only 1 tile, worth a ton of liquid, but keeps the liquid contained and clean (if input is clean). Yes, there is an exploit to store more than 1 ton per tile, but that will hopefully be fixed some day, because this should not work. But it would be nice, to set an amount to store, like compactors.

2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

That sounds not very much useful for me ^^

But if you aren't using any compression tools/exploits, those 5 tons are in addition to 6 tons you can store in the space, therefore almost doubling the amount of liquid stored.  You can put your liquid reservoir underwater.

I think it would be nice if the current ones had sliders so they could act as small buffers when necessary.

2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Friendly discussion is not your style, hah?

To be fair, your initial response came off as rather argumentative. You might not realize it - (there are plenty of non-english natives around here after all, so some benefit of doubt must be allowed)

But I'd rather stay on topic.

On 05.03.2019 at 10:53 PM, Zarquan said:

But if you aren't using any compression tools/exploits, those 5 tons are in addition to 6 tons you can store in the space, therefore almost doubling the amount of liquid stored.  You can put your liquid reservoir underwater.

I think reservoirs not about space, they alow you store liquid while it still in piping system, i mean it is easy to dig 10*10 pool and fill with liquid, but extract liquid back into piping would require pump which consume 240J for each 10kg of liquid, for 1t of water it would be 100*240J - decent amount of electricity, and for whole 10*10 pool: 10*10*100*240J...

Gas tank less efficient, but idea the same.

1 hour ago, D.L.S. said:

I think reservoirs not about space, they alow you store liquid while it still in piping system, i mean it is easy to dig 10*10 pool and fill with liquid, but extract liquid back into piping would require pump which consume 240J for each 10kg of liquid, for 1t of water it would be 100*240J - decent amount of electricity, and for whole 10*10 pool: 10*10*100*240J...

Gas tank less efficient, but idea the same.

In my games, I only use the liquid reservoir, currently, to store some polluted water before my pincha farm. So if, for any reason, the flow is stopped, there's still some liquid to run the farm. ;)

And it's aesier to make it this way instead of creating a pool.

And for those who think that 5 tons in 6 tiles is useless, just remember that the reservoir don't use walls to contain the liquids. ;)

For the same amount stored in a pool of 2x3, you'll waste a minimum area of 10 tiles. ;)

Archived