Suggestions to fix the SW characters

I think it's pretty ridiculous to have this large handful of characters whose perks don't even function outside of their own DLC. I'm talking about Warly, Walani, Woodlegs, and Wilbur. The first 3 all start with a Chef's Pouch, Surfboard, and Lucky Hat respectively, but can't even craft more of them unless they're in Shipwrecked, even if they do have the materials necessary. Meanwhile, Webber can craft Spider Eggs in Hamlet despite (actual) Spiders not even existing, as well as being given a unique item (Shamlet Mask) so that he is not functionally broken within the DLC, and Wickerbottom has an entirely unique book just for Shipwrecked! Wilbur, on the other hand, is only recognized by Primeapes and not Splumonkeys or Spider Monkeys, while Wilba is recognized by all Pigs and Webber is friends with even cave-dwelling Spiders. Given this precedent, I have several changes to suggest that would make the perks of these characters functional outside of SW.

Warly:

-In RoG and Hamlet, the crafting recipe for the Chef's Pouch changes from 1 Cloth and 1 Rope to 6 Grass and 1 Rope.

Walani:

-In Hamlet, the Surfboard's crafting recipe changes from 1 Boards and 2 Seashells to 1 Boards and 2 Lotus Flowers. Or alternatively, to 1 Boards and 1 Iron Ore.

-"It's like land-surfing!" (Crazy suggestion) In order to remedy Walani's evident lack of surfing in RoG, she has access to a new craftable: The Skateboard. The Skateboard's crafting recipe would be 1 Boards, 1 Rope, and 2 Rocks. Whether or not the Skateboard would be available outside of RoG as an integral part of her kit or if it would only be available in RoG as a Surfboard replacement is up to the Devs.

Wilbur

-"Ape no kill ape." Ape-kind has to stick together, and as such, Wilbur is now recognized by both Splumonkeys and Spider Monkeys Splumonkeys will no longer steal from him and Spider Monkeys will no longer be aggressive (though Shadow Splumonkeys will still attack him).

-Side note: While we're here, honestly, let Webber befriend Spider Monkeys as well. It only makes sense, as they're equal part ape and spider.

Woodlegs:

-In Hamlet and RoG, the Lucky Hat's crafting recipe changes from 4 Bone Shards, 3 Cloth, and 10 Dubloons, to 4 Bone Shards, 9 Grass, and 4 Gold.

-In Hamlet, the Sea Legs' crafting recipe changes from 4 Boards, 4 Dubloons, and 1 Boat Cannon, to 5 Boards, 2 Gold, and 4 Gunpowder. In addition, Woodlegs would spawn with these respective crafting materials when starting in Hamlet, so he can still craft the Sea Legs right away like in SW.

-"Woodlegs be experienced in tha plunderin'" (Crazy suggestion) Woodlegs gains a new craftable that would not only function as a land-based counterpart for the Sea Legs, but would be available in every version of Don't Starve as a new and integral part of his kit: The Land Legs. The Land Legs is a typical 4-wheeled pirate cannon that can be crafted at the cost of 1 Rope, 4 Boards, 3 Gold, and 4 Gunpowder. Like the Sea Legs, it is infinite use and deals 50 damage. In order to move it, Woodlegs must man it and push it from behind, and as such, it has sort of a momentum effect also like the Sea Legs, starting out slow until it eventually reaches normal walking speed (6 speed).

I like the suggestions, although I believe a better crafting recipe for the Warly's Chef Pouch and Woodlegs would include Silk instead of grass. The Land Legs seem relatively OP in my opinion, since it has a recipe with mid-game items and it would be VERY OP in RoG. I might be wrong though.

On 3/2/2019 at 11:53 AM, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

-Side note: While we're here, honestly, let Webber befriend Spider Monkeys as well. It only makes sense, as they're equal part ape and spider.

This was said ages ago, but the Monkey part is what attacks Webber, and the Spider part is what attacks Wilbur.
Each half is hostile to both of the characters.

Otherwise, yes. Splumonkeys must recognise their king.

Archived