How do you handle temperature above Solar panels?

Hi,

In my current game I started to use solar panels for power, and I have them protected by a layer of glass tiles, and above them I have (following suggestions from here) a series of Robo-Miners, Auto-Sweepers and Conveyor loaders to clear debris - and they overheat constantly. I have given them some backwall and try to cool them down with water I drip on the tiles when getting too hot, but that seems to be not ideal, what do you do to clear them?

I put a mesh layer above the miners to protect them from direct heat. Then there are a thin layer of oil moved there via the bottle emptier that allows for heat transfer. Finally, there is a loop of hydrogen that runs through the machine -oil layer that uses a single wheezewort locked in Hydrogen Box to dump heat into.

Debris just sits there.

It still requires steel because the temperature spikes a lot, but it rests at -20 or so over the long run.

For mining drills made out of steel I use this design -> video tutorial

For Auto-Sweepers and Conveyor loaders I wait until space metal and use this design -> video tutorial though I have modified this design to limit the gas flow to 50g/s of CO2 per vent, this still provides sufficient cooling and decreases interference with the space scanners.

This is a link to the save game file for the map late game if you just want to poke around and check all the setting and configuration yourself -> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lCJp5aZcUDeTUwLCKC-SU-CMBVObTr4h

The trick is to have the steam vanish into space when hot. I use this here with around 15g 95C water per second in cooling per miner and it works pretty well. The auto-miners are steel. Note the missing drywalls directly next to where the water drips down. Not putting them in makes a huge difference. For some additional improvement, use isolated tiles below the miners.

solar02.thumb.jpg.e6a4af0932f2563fc1baaacb649764c0.jpg

Archived