Does the solid rocket booster still return full with fuel?

Oh, I knew that; but there is limited space in the rocket silo and I wasn't sure if 400-500 kilos of water a cycle is worth all the effort since I "cheated" by using a seed with 4 slush/hot water geysers. Water...  isn't something I am going to run out of.

Why bother? For me steam rocket is the intermediary step before the petrol rocket. (research only 10k planets) petroleum whit 2 fuel tank research until 80 k planets, and hydrogen 100, 110 k planets. For farming (solid, or organic) for me at least only 40 k planets (isoresin, solid methane- heated and the natural gas cooled back in liquid form, ice - heated and the water send to the co2 room, solid co2 - heated and converted in polluted water and solid oxygen- heated, and the oxygen cooled back to liquid for rocket oxidizer) or 30k planets (fullerene, steel - everything, copper - for wires, and glass for pots, solar panels or converted to sand). Why not the rest of the planets. I avoid bringing back abbysalite (i have a lot) and refined carbon (9.2 tones). Slime i don't need it (in present i convert it to algae, and polluted water).

In future the algae will be converted to dirt (i have 90 tones for now). 

Rocket booster never used, never will. 

1 hour ago, tzionut said:

Why bother?

A rocket to farm a 10.000k planet uses just 13kg of steam and is emitting >1800kg water after conversion every 3 cycles (using the right setup).

=> ~1kg/s of water can be produced by a single steam rocket ;)

(It´s worth it even if you don´t bother with the cargo bay or sightseeing modules for low lvl artifacts.)

Spoiler

5c77efdae98f4_niceone.png.8dab8f0273143e80e2433c663952a095.png

The 10.000km planet I am farming ;)

And as I learned from testing this, the solid boosters throw off an absolutely stunning amount of CO2 and heat. From a single rocket that I built (in survival), I have roughly 3 water sieves working full time and I am not even keeping up with the CO2 production.

If you value dirt at all, what the payload actually returns is academic. As it is, the diamonds and coal are useful, and I get a bit of the rare resources. It is RNG dependent, but I got trace amounts of fullerene.

The Ice planet, that do seem useless because you will burn more water getting there then you get back.

(It´s worth it even if you don´t bother with the cargo bay or sightseeing modules for low lvl artifacts.)

@Lilalaunekuh I play whit 8 dupes + the ones trapped in the rockets...I have so much water that i can't know what to do whit it. I use only one cold steam vent for water. The other is untouched. Now i melting ice and convert it to polluted water. Making a polluted water reservoir from my natural gas generators and co2 scrubber ( i must get rig of that solid Co2 in some way. This is my back-up plan when i will finish all the slime in the asteroid. And have no intention of importing other. 

I can tame the other and convert it for rocket fuel (oil when i finish converting all from the map, or LOX and LH), but i want balance ( input = output) and hate wasting resources to space. I even put a water lock before entering to space area for preventing losing gases.

I am on the 1440 cycle and have still many things to do and optimize ( i put a tepidizer in the liquid methane evaporation chamber, because i reach heat balance), take the automation rocket launcher and try to simplify it, Even build an oil boiler using the heat from a hot polluted oxygen vent (extremely inefficient) :)  but fun to build, then dismantled it because i needed the materials for the 3 and - 4 rocket. I even build an 100% exploit free steam turbine using only a hot steam vent (the funniest experience).

And i must make a dirt cooker for the future. I have an unused copper volcano tamed in the magma area that i plan to rise the heat of the transported magma from 1500 to 1700- degrees and transport it to the space area for further heat it whit rocket engine. The goal is to melt it abbysalite. Very hard (only insulated tiles and drywall) but i think is possible (maybe i am wrong but is a fun challenge) 

As i said. At least for me water isn't the problem. Regolith no more, thanks to the shove vole, limiting the input whit the regolith no more wall, and only permitting access on rocket launch and landing, and the pulse rocket sensor.

A little bottleneck is clay (converting all the polluted oxygen before transforming it in LOX) at least for me, but i can deal it.

Water tends to be the bottleneck of most things - water can be turned into food fairly trivially and into oxygen very trivially. Food+Oxygen means more dupes, and more dupes mean more things gets done.

Yes, I want 24 dupes to swarm about a rocket silo that I queued up.

I have so much water that i can't know what to do whit it.

Like lee1026 said water can be turned into more food+oxygen+power(/rocket fuel).

I play on ravanging hunger with just mouthbreather duplicants, so every duplicant got the double consumption.

=> I use ~10kg/s of water to keep my 18(/36 with normal survival settings) duplicants happy without them needing to harvest plants ;)

(Afterwards it´s time for tricky stuff to fill up the gap to 13kg/s of water, so I am able to keep all 24(/48 on normal settings) duplicants happy.)

Take away: You can never have enough (polluted) water.

The goal is to melt it abbysalite. Very hard (only insulated tiles and drywall) but i think is possible (maybe i am wrong but is a fun challenge) 

You mean melt insulation (since we can´t use abyssalite to build anymore) ?

(A Compost in a vacuum is fun, but I don´t want to spoil the results ^^)

But if you want to melt abyssalite straight away use a row of storage bins set to 1kg and select/deselect all to produce little amounts that you drop in a liquid.

But if you want to melt abyssalite straight away use a row of storage bins set to 1kg and select/deselect all to produce little amounts that you drop in a liquid.

Thank you for your advice. It works whit 20 kg? I am thinking a loop rail going trough liquid until the content is melted.

2 minutes ago, tzionut said:

Thank you for your advice. It works whit 20 kg? I am thinking a loop rail going trough liquid until the content is melted.

Sure, you can take 20t if you want but would take ages ;)

=> 20kg should be fine (but pointless if your conyeor rails melt).

So I would recommend the lowest possible and easily achievable amount. (=1kg)

(We can´t build conveyor rails out of something capable of withstanding the required heat to melt abyssalite.)

On 27.2.2019 at 8:55 PM, lee1026 said:

If so,  it actually makes the steam rocket viable for the first layer of space targets.

Just did some testing or call it calculated bug exploitation xD

We all talk about how the solid fuel thruster makes steam rockets viable to farm close planets.

=> Why not build a rocket that needs NO refuel xD

(Just click the empty cargo button and launch again.)

So a steam rocket with a cargo bay is not able to reach a planet without steam.

(You can farm a 10.000km planet using up to 9 research modules without steam, but a cargo requires a minimum of 13kg steam.)

I build a couple refuel free petroleum rockets:

-You just need a fuel tank, but no oxydizer tank.

=> The petroleum engine + the fuel tank is 1700kg lighter than the steam engine..

We are able to farm the 10.000km to 30.000km planets without refueling our rockets. 

Archived