Character Spool Cost Discussion

On 2/26/2019 at 1:20 AM, CarlZalph said:

The 4050 is quite expensive for the currency gains currently available to players who spend nothing on the game (including not using the marketplace).

I think this is the main point, people should buy the new characters if they really want them. It may be an unpopular or harsh opinion, but there are some undeniable facts:

Klei can choose to leave the game as it is, since it is a fairly complete game as it stands which would give any player paying the initial price of the game, at least several hundred hours of gameplay. Instead they choose to keep developing and adding features. That costs money, unlike what many people feels, they don't owe us to keep adding stuff.

Playing one year to get spools and never using real money doesnt really support the  further developing of the game, the devs dont pay bills or buy food on time played or spools. Sure it keeps the game alive, but it doesnt further capitalize the funding of new stuff. Again, It is a complete game as it is.

I'm pretty sure they will eventually make all the new characters to be sold as a a fairly cheap bundle or with a season pass of sorts.

If you dont want or can't pay, its fine, and you will still get free content (they will add new content like a new reign did, soon) payed by those who did buy skins or characters. So your price to pay for the new content would be waiting more to get the new characters/skins.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I think this is the main point, people should buy the new characters if they really want them. It may be an unpopular or harsh opinion, but there are some undeniable facts:

Klei can choose to leave the game as it is, since it is a fairly complete game as it stands which would give any player paying the initial price of the game, at least several hundred hours of gameplay. Instead they choose to keep developing and adding features. That costs money, unlike what many people feels, they don't owe us to keep adding stuff.

Playing one year to get spools and never using real money doesnt really support the  further developing of the game, the devs dont pay bills or buy food on time played or spools. Sure it keeps the game alive, but it doesnt further capitalize the funding of new stuff. Again, It is a complete game as it is.

I'm pretty sure they will eventually make all the new characters to be sold as a a fairly cheap bundle or with a season pass of sorts.

If you dont want or can't pay, its fine, and you will still get free content (they will add new content like a new reign did, soon) payed by those who did buy skins or characters. So your price to pay for the new content would be waiting more to get the new characters/skins.

This delves into the business model chosen for the game, and what games tend to do for their respective model.  Buy to play vs free to play and whether or not they have microtransactions and/or DLCs.  It gets nasty with how anti-consumer some of these things get in how they're implemented.

As for the time investment not supporting the development aspect that's not entirely true.  The more a person plays the higher the odds that they'd have another friend to play with.  This grows to friends of friends and such to the point where it maintains a steady userbase made of many smaller communities.  All about those statistics when it comes to microtransactions; a higher userbase would bring higher transaction counts from the volume of potential buyers.

Klei stated that they wanted to stay away from DLCs for the MP environment because it would cause fractures in the userbase.  Fractures inherently lower that whole friendship aspect, which in turn lowers the overall userbase.  This would directly hurt them in the long run for short term gains.

Personally, I like openness or transparency.  If a game company has set budgets or goals for things, then let the community know of them.

Sort of like how Klei used kickstarter to help fund things, but instead of relying solely on these third party pledge sites have an in-game fund meter for specific new content or something.

Perhaps this openness idea could be applied here by having a character fund meter or something such that Klei could get their money, and the entire community can reap its benefits when it gets filled.  No one would be gated off of these gameplay affecting things, Klei gets to have a fixed cash income for their work, Klei benefits from the skin shop still there for extending future funds, and above all we as a community would directly get to decide which content we really want with our wallets by choosing which fund to throw money at.

On 24/2/2019 at 12:10 PM, Thalkas said:

We can speculate but without above factors (and devs brains) we cant tell clearly how much new character will cost. :p 

I have the same thought.

But, I'll get the characters by paying money. Spools are not a problem to me, however, the purpose of my decision is for give a support to the devs. New content (available for everybody) is coming, and that needs some people paying for it to still up.

27 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

Perhaps this openness idea could be applied here by having a character fund meter or something such that Klei could get their money, and the entire community can reap its benefits when it gets filled. 

If they set something similar to paypal/kickstarter for this and I can skip paying Steam completely and give money directly to Klei I would do that. I really like this idea.

With today's update changing drop rates to:

• Common: 52.7%
  • Classy: 26.0%
  • Spiffy: 13.0%
  • Distinguished: 6.0%
  • Elegant: 2.3%

can now receive a total of 15 items per week

Spoiler

4050:

128.006422 drops needed on average
8.533761 weeks == 2.133440 months == 0.177787 years
4146.503035 average spools gained

2700:

86.304102 drops needed on average
5.753607 weeks == 1.438402 months == 0.119867 years
2796.496905 average spools gained

1350:

44.636589 drops needed on average
2.975773 weeks == 0.743943 months == 0.061995 years
1446.408665 average spools gained

Weekly average spools gained:  485.976595

59 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

With today's update changing drop rates to:

Reveal hidden contents

4050:

128.006422 drops needed on average
8.533761 weeks == 2.133440 months == 0.177787 years
4146.503035 average spools gained

2700:

86.304102 drops needed on average
5.753607 weeks == 1.438402 months == 0.119867 years
2796.496905 average spools gained

1350:

44.636589 drops needed on average
2.975773 weeks == 0.743943 months == 0.061995 years
1446.408665 average spools gained

Weekly average spools gained:  485.976595

4000 seem pretty reasonable then. 2.5 months is just long enough that people will buy but not to long to be unreasonable.

expecially with a new guy coming every to months which allows for players who don’t want to pay to get the new character when it comes out if they save for it in the months prior the their release.

the exception is the first one which you gotta buy,ignore, or have 4000 spools in storage if you want the others free on release 

Archived