Central cooling mk2

Hello again gentlebrens

borat_855_18535194_0_0_12672_300_400x400

Time again for the central cooler. This time I hope to keep my post very much briefer than the last one. I'm building a central cooler because I'm working on a heat recovery condenser/boiler again (efficient steam plant without any perpetual motion cheats) and getting it started up takes a great deal of brute force cooling that I don't want to use aquatuners for.

No debug or sandbox mode.

Why this particular design?

- It's extremely thermally reactive (its cooling output rapidly adjusts to match the cooling demand, as long as surges in demand don't last forever)

- It has a huge amount of buffer (it's actually pretty resilient to long increases in demand, so you can overdraw from it for a fair while; looked at from another angle, it keeps working long after you unload it, storing cooling inside, but there's a limit)

- After you get it running, the only power cost is cycling doors to control temps and pumping coolant. Debate how exploity that is if you like, I'll just steer clear.

image.thumb.png.3666fa5f9008c6699e491eb82060fb54.png

Features in this picture:

- Double layer ceramic insulating bottle

- Use any coolant you like, it just needs to be able to remain in liquid form at low temperatures. I'm using crude oil in this picture.

- The upper chamber is at vacuum

- The lower chamber is pressurized to 20kg Hydrogen. Higher pressure = more buffering ability.

- Access is ONLY via transit tube. I don't know if dupes will hold their breath / avoid breathing out but my top chamber has stayed at vacuum and I can't find any CO2 in the bottom chamber. (though, they only go in there when I change something)

- Metal tile -> door -> door arrangement provides much higher heat flux than more familiar metal tile -> door -> metal tile setups

And here's the kicker, because it has so much total heat capacity it helps you get the most possible utilization from your wheezeworts - they do their work in advance of cooling demand. If you have a hydrogen based cooler and your wheezeworts stifle when the load is idle, a design like this helps you use fewer wheezeworts.

Control:

- My temperature controls are on a bistable (SR latch) with a 10 degree band. When we get to -35C the outer doors shut; 10 seconds later, the inner doors shut; another 10 seconds later, the outer doors open. Putting a layer of vacuum between the upper chamber and the lower chamber without deleting any liquid:

image.thumb.png.42aca91d1d0f1ceb52f877222e7930e9.png

- Logic? Inner doors are just on a dropout timer. Outer doors use a pull-up timer. A reset signal (I've set to <-35C temperature) closes the outer doors, waits 10 seconds, closes the inner doors, waits 10 more seconds, and then opens the outer doors again. A set signal (I've set to >-25C) opens all the doors.

image.thumb.png.e136d3ae95794df00f648c129e88cef4.png

Capacity: the one pictured here has the average capacity of about 4.5 AETNs, but the design allows you to draw a great deal more load than that for limited amounts of time. As a point of reference, a copper volcano during its activity period averages out to less than my cooler's capacity. (Cooling solidified copper to 27C as well before shipping it off) That's just by eyeballing temperatures while the volcano erupts, no rigorous math or anything

image.thumb.png.2de7a99fdc4b48721b48c8fe149fb11b.png

So now I'm equipped to start up my heat recovery boiler/condenser, and that'll be my next project. But no promises, it's a rather difficult build, I have a job, and I only run ONI in survival mode. Just messing around.

Just pipe petroleum trough the metal pipes in radiant pipes. they change nearly instantly to the temp of the tile. 

A thermo Sensor on the line before the tiles can read out the temp of your cooling. Set it around 20 - 25 C to cool your base.

It will slowy average the whole base to that. (Some parts will be hotter in the beginning and some colder but it will average out)

12 hours ago, avc15 said:

image.thumb.png.3666fa5f9008c6699e491eb82060fb54.png

Features in this picture:

- Double layer ceramic insulating bottle

- Use any coolant you like, it just needs to be able to remain in liquid form at low temperatures. I'm using crude oil in this picture.

- The upper chamber is at vacuum

- The lower chamber is pressurized to 20kg Hydrogen. Higher pressure = more buffering ability.

- Access is ONLY via transit tube. I don't know if dupes will hold their breath / avoid breathing out but my top chamber has stayed at vacuum and I can't find any CO2 in the bottom chamber. (though, they only go in there when I change something)

- Metal tile -> door -> door arrangement provides much higher heat flux than more familiar metal tile -> door -> metal tile setups

And here's the kicker, because it has so much total heat capacity it helps you get the most possible utilization from your wheezeworts - they do their work in advance of cooling demand. If you have a hydrogen based cooler and your wheezeworts stifle when the load is idle, a design like this helps you use fewer wheezeworts.

I like your build.  I've played around with using a pool from a slush geyser for base cooling that used similar techniques.  I think it should also be pointed out that isolating the wheezewarts from your base coolant allows you to bring the hydrogen to a much lower temperature which also helps in handling your intermittent high-heat loads.

I have no idea where you guys get all the wheezies, 25 in the OP, if I searched my entire map this time around I would not be able to collect that many.  I realize this time around my map doesn't have a lot, but most of my maps I would have to explore most of the map to find this many.

23 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

I have no idea where you guys get all the wheezies, 25 in the OP, if I searched my entire map this time around I would not be able to collect that many.  I realize this time around my map doesn't have a lot, but most of my maps I would have to explore most of the map to find this many.

Well, I explored most of my map and got these 25 + 4 more in my base ;)

Also 3 of those seeds came from the printer, I'm on cycle 700.

Also, space expeditions is an option.

Archived