I'm losing dirt in my setup, need help/advice

Hi all.
Sorry in advance for my english as I'm not native english speaker.

I precise that I'm playing without sandbox nor debug mode.

I've tried a setup based on fertilizer to produce nat gas, dirt & fertilizer from polluted water and this overwhelming phosphorite. The goal is not to detail the setup, as it is an experimental build, without sandbox, so it's definitely not optimized at all, and we can see a lot of band-aid to fix failure in previous setup.

I'm dealing with a loss.

See below : fertilizer is coming in 10kg packets, from my Fertilizer Gen farm. The arm auto-sweep this packet to the storage. As you can see at this point, there's still 10kg into the storage.

image.thumb.png.6d66267c30a4e6d5446e72b22acbffa9.png

The magma below heat the container.

image.png.37d14c40028092e5431a7091992c3e00.png

So the fertilizer is going fast to reach 125°C, temp for fertilizer to melt into dirt.

At this point, the dirt comes out of the container, still in 10kg packets.

image.thumb.png.34aeb8668a0ed0560945954b4bee7d44.png

The robot dig it, but then the arm only pick 5kg of dirt.

image.thumb.png.065f5be47cd72786875b6c2db540a61c.png

I can confirm that only 5kg are arriving at the conveyor receiver.

image.thumb.png.f6cdc17623b6cb1f39085160115e6eef.png

As far as I know, this melting ratio should be 1 : 1. But also, rarely, it gives me back my 10kg...

You're going to point something out. The Sand in the bottom of my storage. Indeed, as I get it, the heating process is going so fast that we could imagine some dirt keeps heating-up until the robot mines it, and then turns into sand.

BUT, it appears that the amount of sand isn't growing, most of the time...

See : 35,5kg before

image.thumb.png.d003944982ef0db8ae155297befa0709.png

And then 35,3kg after, even you can see that some dirt has just been created.

image.thumb.png.c60a778c7cc9010cd151a565316dfe47.png

Any idea ? Am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance

Have a nice day ! :)

Antoine

Youps... I'm learning this mechanism... That's ruining my whole setup :fatigue: Thanks for this info.

Any idea how to convert fertilizer into dirt without losing mass ? Using magma/heat is, as far as I know, mandatory. But how then ?

36 minutes ago, OxCD said:

As far as I know, this melting ratio should be 1 : 1. But also, rarely, it gives me back my 10kg...

Fertilizer/slime/algae turn into dirt at 125 degrees. The resulting dirt block then has to be mined, which cuts the mass in half.

There's a mechanic (bug?) in place which doubles the mass of the cooked dirt, however. That's why sometimes you're seeing 10kg. 

The most reliable way I've found to make it happen is:

1) Place the fertilizer/whatever into a container.

2) Use a relatively high external temperature. 260 degrees or above is fine. Obviously, don't go much above 300 as you'll just end up with sand.

I'm getting why they make the fertilizer synthesizer to use 65g/s of dirt for 120g/s of fertilizer. It's just a bit more than the half, so because digging dirt is only giving you the half, so each second I'm losing 5g of dirt per fertilizer synth, instead of growing my stock as expected.

Mouahaha (gloups).

Yep thanks biopon. This bug seems to just slow down a bit the dumping of my dirt stock ^^

Hi again. 

I'm thinking about something else. To melt the fertilizer into the container makes it to pop-out when it turns to dirt. This dirt has to be dug then, and i'm losing the 50% ratio. 

The idea : if i use the auto-sweeper to drop-off the fertilizer on the floor, like we do for example with automated stable and eggs to regulate overpopulation, instead of putting it into the container, will the fertilizer also turn into a solid block that has to be dug out ? 

Is every stuff that change his state because of melting will turn into solid block, undepending its original location/status ?

Thanks all :)

36 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Hi again. 

I'm thinking about something else. To melt the fertilizer into the container makes it to pop-out when it turns to dirt. This dirt has to be dug then, and i'm losing the 50% ratio. 

The idea : if i use the auto-sweeper to drop-off the fertilizer on the floor, like we do for example with automated stable and eggs to regulate overpopulation, instead of putting it into the container, will the fertilizer also turns into a solid block that has to be dug out ? 

Is every stuff that changes his state because of melting will turns into solid block, undepending its original location/status ?

Yes, it will also turn into a block. fairly sure on this

2 hours ago, OxCD said:

Hi again. 

The idea : if i use the auto-sweeper to drop-off the fertilizer on the floor, like we do for example with automated stable and eggs to regulate overpopulation, instead of putting it into the container, will the fertilizer also turns into a solid block that has to be dug out ? 

Is every stuff that changes his state because of melting will turns into solid block, undepending its original location/status ?

One method that I have used for both fertilizer and slime is to use a rail though heated metal tiles with insulated tiles above those

The fertilizer/slime will heat up on the rails inside the hot metal tiles and then the dirt blocks will form above the insulated tiles free to be mined by a robo-miner without worrying about loosing heat from the metal tiles

@Neotuck Thanks for this tip. It could help me for further setup.

In this case however, the main point was to melt fertilizer into dirt without having to dig it then, and so losing half its mass.

For the moment at least, I do not have issue to manage the temp.

As far as I get it, your tip doesn't avoid the dirt to pop-out of the rail, like it does with container, so I think the first (main ?) issue I get will remain the same..

Actually, with my setup, I'm only dealing 5g/s of dirt (instead of 65g/s) + other material at regular intake to make 10g/s of NG...

I didn't enter into deeper caclulation, but I'm guessing NG I'm producing with 5x Fert Synth don't cover energy for 5xFert Synth, 3xauto-sweep, 1xrobot-miner, and 3xconveyor system.. That could be what I'm calling a fail :)

3 hours ago, OxCD said:

In this case however, the main point was to melt fertilizer into dirt without having to dig it then, and so losing half its mass.

That's impossible 

3 hours ago, OxCD said:

I didn't enter into deeper caclulation, but I'm guessing NG I'm producing with 5x Fert Synth don't cover energy for 5xFert Synth, 3xauto-sweep, 1xrobot-miner, and 3xconveyor system.. That could be what I'm calling a fail :)

Old topic: Fert synths can't produce enough NG to power themselves 

Archived