Attack Animation Canceling From DST?

I suggested this a few times already (way back in beta Hamlet), made a big Quality of Life post (with a quite a few other QoL things) and a friend of mine has brought this up in one of the dev streams before (force attacks vs commit to attack), with the answer being along the lines of you'll look into what QoL stuff that you'd want to bring into DS from DST.

Given that this is post the QoL update, I'm curious to if the ability to cancel one's attack animation is still under consideration / a WIP or will it stay as it currently is where characters continue to be locked into their attack animations? This is a thread way back when animation canceling was added to DST, showing that it was a positive to the game. I'd hope for it to be in the game, but if its not, that's alright at well. Thanks.

I think they added animation canceling because of lag but it would be nice if they reworked single player's attack mechanic because there are a few differences that make it seem terrible

For one if you're attacking two enemies you'll hit the first one while the other walks up to you and you'll switch to that target instead of focusing on the first one

In DST you'll focus the first enemy and won't switch to any other enemies that are walking up or near you

Yea, I use animation canceling pretty constantly to switch targets and 'block' their attacks in DST. Spider hordes especially. When you're in the middle of a group, it can be difficult to target the right mob; a quick sidestep and force attack changes your target pretty effectively.

Personally, I like being forced into my attack, with animation cancelling I can always nope out of an attack when I see them charging up (bosses and AoE enemies being the exception). With forced attack every hound, tallbird, bee, and dragoon is a dangerous foe who must be treated with caution. With "soft" attacks some challenge is taken away. Also, is helpful to know that the enemy was hit, rather than "was this dragoon hit 4 or 5 times? should I take the gamble it was 5?". I prefer "I hit this dragoon 5 times, I can just apply my next hit now".

Archived